House Price Crash Forum
darwin

Ghostbusters

Ireland calls in the ghostbusters

From Inside Housing magazine 25.02.2011

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/regeneration/ireland-calls-in-the-ghostbusters/6513818.article' rel="external nofollow">
The Irish government hopes to convince English housing associations to buy its ‘ghost estates’.
A number of housing associations including Places for People are considering buying empty properties in Ireland in return for quarterly
‘availability payments’ worth 92 per cent of market rent, guaranteed for 20 to 25 years. They will also collect the Irish equivalent of
social rent, called differential rent, which is 50 per cent of a household’s income.
Irish housing minister Michael Finneran and his officials met the National Housing Federation and several housing associations this
month to discuss their offer.
Ireland’s Housing and Sustainable Communities Agency hopes the deal will help solve the problem of the country’s 33,000 empty
homes which were developed before its property market crashed in 2007.
Officials estimate that as many as 4,000 of these empty properties could be available for social housing and hope English housing
associations could use private finance to build extra homes in areas of housing need.
.../

Wait, what?

Maybe it's just me, but something seems a little 'off' here.

Wait, what?

Nothing wrong with taxpayer funded British Qangos whose alleged job it is to make housing affordable, artificially propping Irish property prices up and keeping housing unaffordable ... if property ever became affordable these parasites who are no doubt connected to the upper echelons of governement would be out of a job.

Ireland is also consulting Northern Irish housing associations about how it might solve its housing problems.

:lol:

You know what is going to happen don't you.

By the end of the year UK tax payers will be paying UK housing associations to house immigrants to the UK in housing in Eire.

It sounds ludicrous but I can see it coming now.

By the end of the year UK tax payers will be paying UK housing associations to house immigrants to the UK in housing in Eire.

Plus they will give them extra benefits due to being overseas they will come up with an overseas living allowance . Plus pay to fly them back to the U.K. twice a year as part of the package.

Ireland could be a huge "sink estate"? ;):huh:

London councils have been doing something similar in the UK for years on the quiet

I'm not sure how the good citizens around Eire will react though to Ghost Estates of say Somali's on their doorstep :rolleyes:

Wait, what?

"the country’s 33,000 empty homes"

Finally we have the total number. Thanks for that Darwin.

IIRC there are some 1.3 million households in Ireland. So, these empty homes are just 2.5% of total housing stock. that is very little indeed. We have a higher rate of empty homes in Britain, IIRC some 700,000 / 23 million households = 3%.

"Over building" was not the cause of their bubble bursting. The bubble burst because it was a bubble, a Ponzi scheme, a pyramid, just like ours. The BBC's (and Gordon brown's) obsession with the Irish "over-building" is rubbish.

We need more and better and bigger houses in Britain. The Irish at least got a little of that from their bubble!

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Wait, what?

Well, as long as its just the ENGLISH housing associations, I don't mind.

"the country's 33,000 empty homes"

Finally we have the total number. Thanks for that Darwin.

IIRC there are some 1.3 million households in Ireland. So, these empty homes are just 2.5% of total housing stock. that is very little indeed. We have a higher rate of empty homes in Britain, IIRC some 700,000 / 23 million households = 3%.

There are a lot more than 33,000 empty 'homes' in Ireland...

'What do we do with all the ghost estates?' [December 2009]:

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/property-plus/what-do-we-do-with-all-the-ghost-estates-1994706.html

Let's go back to 2006 when the Central Statistics Office identified 266,000 empty residential properties -- representing 15pc of all homes.

[...snip...]

Many councillors and planners ignored the evidence of oversupply, and continued to give permission for new developments in areas swamped by vacant houses. In the worst-hit areas -- 29.3pc in Leitrim, 27pc in Donegal and 24.8pc in Kerry (CSO, 2006) -- between a third and a quarter of all houses lay empty.

[...snip...]

So how many houses in Ireland are lying vacant? Statistics show that there's nobody living in 18pc -- almost one in five -- of all homes in Ireland (a figure that includes investment properties and holiday homes). And the problem is getting worse, as about 500 new houses per week are added to the backlog.