House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

2 Years For Cooking Tv In An Oven

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360658/Students-cooked-TV-oven-drunken-prank-jailed-years.html

A pair of students who set fire to a television by placing it in an oven at their halls of residence were jailed for two years today.

Joshua Hart, 20, and 21-year-old Daniel Gyi decided to put the front part of the TV monitor in the electric oven in the kitchen of their flat in Endcliffe Crescent, Sheffield, after they had spent the afternoon drinking.

Two weeks previously, biomedical sciences student Gyi and Hart, who was studying Spanish and maths, had finished their first year exams at the University of Sheffield.

Prosecutor Elisabeth Martin told Sheffield Crown Court the pair had spent the afternoon in the pub drinking and watching football before returning to their four-storey block of student flats.

She told the court seven other people - two men and five women - were also in the block at the time of the incident, which was around 3.30am on June 26 last year.

Describing what happened on the night she said: 'A chair that's in the hallway of the flat had been set alight and gone out.

'In the communal area of the flat itself a bag had been placed over one of the alarms and the heat detectors.

'A further heat sensor in the kitchen had been covered up with a plastic bag, a Tesco carrier bag.

'An appliance was found in the oven. What happened in this particular chain of events was that a monitor, a TV monitor, had been placed in the electric oven.'

Ms Martin said Hart and Gyi had been drinking in the pub during the afternoon before returning home where they then decided to throw the television off the top of the block of flats.

The court heard he also told police: 'We just fancied burning it for no reason'

And people think there's a decrease in the standard of education...

It's called messing around, I mean come on surely you guys did some stupid stuff in your youth too?

We for instance sed to make potato launchers which were rubbish until we started to use petrol instead of hairspray.

Some guy doing a medical degree pinned a live goldfish to the wall and threw stuff at it until it died.

Am reminded of this:

Man goes to the vet with his goldfish.

"I think it's got epilepsy" he tells the vet.

Vet takes a look and says "It seems calm enough to me".

Man says, "I haven't taken it out of the bowl yet".

It's called messing around, I mean come on surely you guys did some stupid stuff in your youth too?

We for instance sed to make potato launchers which were rubbish until we started to use petrol instead of hairspray.

Microwaving a TV - stupid, yes - worthy of a prison sentence, oh ffs! You don't get that for a first drink driving charge which is just as stupid and just as dangerous. You certainly don't get that sort of punishment for criminally damaging an old man's car, or other "minor" criminal behaviour (Though don't you dare try to stop someone damaging your car!).

If someone had been hurt, sure throw the book at them, but no one was.

Microwaving a TV - stupid, yes - worthy of a prison sentence, oh ffs! You don't get that for a first drink driving charge which is just as stupid and just as dangerous. You certainly don't get that sort of punishment for criminally damaging an old man's car, or other "minor" criminal behaviour (Though don't you dare try to stop someone damaging your car!).

If someone had been hurt, sure throw the book at them, but no one was.

When I first read this that was my first reaction, then I reread it and it struck me someone had deliberately covered the fire alarms so they wouldn't go off. Now you have a real question of intent, why cover the fire alarms? Fire can spread pretty quickly, I'd me more inclined to believe this was simply stupidity if they hadn't risked other peoples lives by compromising the safety system.

Although I've got no idea if this was what the judge was annoyed about.

There is also the other problem that the insurance company may not have paid out as it was malicious damage.

However I do agree the sentencing system in this country doesn't appear to have any structure to it. Ultimately no one got hurt and 2 years does appear slightly OTT.

Microwaving a TV - stupid, yes - worthy of a prison sentence, oh ffs!

Nah not just for doing that - but for deliberately stopping the fire safety things from being able to work and starting a fire. That's called attempted murder isn't it?

Gyi and Hart both eventually admitted they had caused the incident and pleaded guilty to causing criminal damage reckless as to whether life was endangered.

Criminal damage is one thing.

Reckless endangerment is entirely another and usually carries a custodial sentence.

By attempting to disable the smoke detectors many would argue that their endangerment of the other occupants even went beyond reckless and was, in fact, deliberate.

Being drunk is never a mitigating factor in British justice. Neither is being stupid.

These idiots should count themselves lucky they didn't kill somebody.

Criminal damage is one thing.

Reckless endangerment is entirely another and usually carries a custodial sentence.

By attempting to disable the smoke detectors many would argue that their endangerment of the other occupants even went beyond reckless and was, in fact, deliberate.

Being drunk is never a mitigating factor in British justice. Neither is being stupid.

These idiots should count themselves lucky they didn't kill somebody.

My boss is in big trouble then, he regularly disables to smoke detectors and alarms whenever he uses the kitchen microwave. Hell he even has a switch wired up taped to the wall. As the microwave is filthy and old. It gets smokey sometimes.

Killing the rest of the people living there would have been a far worse life sentence than a year in jail.

So risk adverse always thinking worse case scenario.

For starters it's halls of residence i.e. big concrete building with barely anything which burns. In HK in the Y shaped council estates people will regularly burn things for their ancestors in their own flats. They will also go into the middle communal areas where the lifts are and have barbies there and then using charcoal, and lighter fluid...

Oh but think of the children!

Such attitudes are incredibly limiting and unfortunately incredibly widespread. Everybody said I'd die on my recon mission, I'm fine, everybody said I'd die cutting INTO acetalene tanks I'm fine.

So risk adverse always thinking worse case scenario.

For starters it's halls of residence i.e. big concrete building with barely anything which burns. In HK in the Y shaped council estates people will regularly burn things for their ancestors in their own flats. They will also go into the middle communal areas where the lifts are and have barbies there and then using charcoal, and lighter fluid...

Oh but think of the children!

Such attitudes are incredibly limiting and unfortunately incredibly widespread. Everybody said I'd die on my recon mission, I'm fine, everybody said I'd die cutting INTO acetalene tanks I'm fine.

Smoke AFAIK from watching Tv is the killer not the fire itself, as far as concrete versus something else I have no idea.#

Blocking off both heat detectors and smoke alarms then putting a TV into an oven isnt't the best safety first idea I have heard of.

A pair of students who set fire to a television by placing it in an oven at their halls of residence were jailed for two years today.

Apparently they got a £50 fine for the burning, and two years in prison for doing it without a license.

Nah not just for doing that - but for deliberately stopping the fire safety things from being able to work and starting a fire. That's called attempted murder isn't it?

Yes, it is most likely that the reason they got prison time was because of the smoke alarms. However, returning to a previous discussion about smoke detectors on this forum and their sensitivity to toast, kettles, bacon, everything but actual fires, I can imagine why someone would think it a good idea to cover them in their drunken haze if they were going to prank around in the way that they did. Certainly the logic of very drunk boys would go down that line. I spent a lot of time in universities, as a young man, and as a slightly older man living in the same building as undergraduates. I've seen drunk students do lots of stupid stuff.

Also, in mitigation, they were the ones who raised the alarm with security who them called hte fireservice etc.

What would have been appropriate? I figure a fair chunk of community service if one must convict them. I would suspect though, that having the fire service called out for something like this would be enough to sober most people up and make the incident stick in their minds as a lesson. I know when a friend and I, at the age of 21, discovered empirically the non-linear effect of adding wicks to a candle and filled our flat full of smoke and a leaping flame we learnt a lesson that didn't require jail time or community service. I suspect these two fellows were just as surprised as we were with the outcome of our innocent experiment (and I wasn't drunk!)

I suspect that prison is going to ruin (or at least damage significantly) these young men's lives for making a stupid mistake.

One has to think of what happens in equivalent circumstances, such as drink driving or the equally dangerous phone driving. Both are premeditated, and both are done regularly by many and what befalls you if caught doing either of these things is minor. As a case in point, Mrs Woods was hit from behind by a (very) drunk driver at a relative speed of impact (the engineer's report stated) of approximately 100mph! The Volvo she was in was hit so hard that the back axle snapped and the entire back end was destroyed. The interior was also completely destroyed. The engineer could not believe that anyone had survived - his only explanation wsa that the car was a solid Volvo. As it is she suffers all sorts of back complaints due to the accident which have cost us £25k in medical bills (at least).

And the driver of the vehicle, who reeked of alcohol and could barely stand, somehow got off with a broken arm and no charges let alone a court appearance.

Until all drink drivers over, say 0.1, get chucked in jail for 2 years, I will think that these microwavers got a raw deal.

go to any student residence, and i can gurantee you that the smoke/heat detectors in the kitchen will be covered. they do it so theat when one of them burns their dinner by falling asleep/forgetting or they are smoking in the kitchen it doesnt get the fire brigade out. as the uni fines the pupil(s) who set them off.

i've been in 100s halls of residence, and they are all the same

Some guy doing a medical degree pinned a live goldfish to the wall and threw stuff at it until it died.

Am reminded of this:

Man goes to the vet with his goldfish.

"I think it's got epilepsy" he tells the vet.

Vet takes a look and says "It seems calm enough to me".

Man says, "I haven't taken it out of the bowl yet".

I shouldn't but :lol:

go to any student residence, and i can gurantee you that the smoke/heat detectors in the kitchen will be covered. they do it so theat when one of them burns their dinner by falling asleep/forgetting or they are smoking in the kitchen it doesnt get the fire brigade out. as the uni fines the pupil(s) who set them off.

i've been in 100s halls of residence, and they are all the same

Yep. Even did it in one residence I lived. We had a little Czech mathematician in residence who just had to have toast at 3am every morning. :angry: