House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Sheffield Could Generate All It's Own Power Within 10 Years

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/green-scene/city_could_generate_power_in_10_years_1_3117564

SHEFFIELD could become the first city in Britain to generate its own power within 10 years - all from renewable methods - under an ambitious vision launched by a Government minister.

Energy and Climate Secretary, Chris Huhne, launched the project accompanied by Sheffield city councillors and representatives of electricity company E.on.

A key part of the plans is creation of the £100 million new biomass-fuelled power station at Blackburn Meadows by E.on.

Households will be encouraged to fit solar panels through the Feed In Tarrif scheme, where they generate electricity for their own homes and receive a payment for selling surplus to the national grid.

Another scheme to help homes, the Renewable Heat Initiative, to be launched in June, will be similar but involving the Government offering payments to households for fitting ground source heat pumps to replace boilers.

Speaking at the launch event at Castle College, Mr Huhne said: “Sheffield really is a pioneer in coming up with this vision to move towards a decentralised, low carbon economy for the future.

“I wish Sheffield all the best in its quest to become the UK’s first local energy city.”

He revealed the city will also benefit from some of the 250,000 new jobs the Government believes will be created from its Green Deal initiative, to provide loft and wall insulation for all the UK’s homes in the next 20 years.

Sheffield is saved, we'll be energy independent within 10 years.....

Somehow I fear this is just hot air and nothing major will come of it. So 250,000 new jobs claimed I bet we'll be lucky to create 50,000.

But once you put the insulation in what else is there to do? Plus everyone I know laid their loft insulation themselves. Surely these can't be a sustainable jobs for 250,000 people, this is labour party logic - doesn't make sense.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/green-scene/city_could_generate_power_in_10_years_1_3117564

Somehow I fear this is just hot air and nothing major will come of it. So 250,000 new jobs claimed I bet we'll be lucky to create 50,000.

"generate its own power". Nah renewable wont do that, it will CONTRIBUTE

at certain times. Although, does go on about insulation etc since energy conservation is more useful.

yes all the above tactics will help, but can they get a geothermal well deep enough without waking up the silurians?

There are still the cold days of winter when the wind doesnt blow, when we needed energy from elsewhere, so energy independent is a ways off for our lattitude.

Spin, Spin, Spin.

I'm all for renewable, but these press articles don't help.

at certain times. Although, does go on about insulation etc since energy conservation is more useful.

yes all the above tactics will help, but can they get a geothermal well deep enough without waking up the silurians?

There are still the cold days of winter when the wind doesnt blow, when we needed energy from elsewhere, so energy independent is a ways off for our lattitude.

Spin, Spin, Spin.

Its The Star : as far as they are concerned Jesus came from Attercliffe.

More likely that they'll start wearing extra jumpers in winter and turn the heating off.

£100 million new biomass-fuelled power station <_<

Fancy talk.

So, extra jumpers in winter it is, then.

£100 million new biomass-fuelled power station
The way things are going we'll be lucky if any of the proposed new power generation schemes get very far - whether renewable or nuclear - because there won't be the money around as rising energy prices start to drive down demand during the continuing economic doldrums. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I wish we were in a position to point out to people just quite how much energy they waste.

I have not used my heating since the whole -10 rubbish we had in December. In fact have had the windows open for the last few weeks as the flat has been stuffy. Most of my neighbours are still using their heating much of the time (I know because the vents from at least one of their heating systems comes out right next to my window). Surely these people are not cold? Why do people use their heating so much even when it is not cold?

We are all too spoilt and apparently used to conditions that we really should not need to expect.

More likely that they'll start wearing extra jumpers in winter and turn the heating off.

Been doing that for years already. Which is why I probably lurk around at work a tad more than I am contracted to.

Heat pumps in homes can replace boilers? Right... Enough biomass to generate for a whole city - how much farmland is that going to use up? Eating comes before getting electricity.

Heat pumps in homes can replace boilers? Right... Enough biomass to generate for a whole city - how much farmland is that going to use up? Eating comes before getting electricity.

Do Howden, Ladybower & Derwent Water have massive modern, efficient electric turbines installed in them giving free, plentyful, energy all year round?

Spin, Spin, Spin.

The biomass power station will work on cold windless winter nights, and anyway, even if this scheme doesn't generate 100% of Sheffield's power requirements 100% of the time, it is still a useful contribution.

Ah, I've just twigged: there's a large development just outside the city centre which has provided a steady supply of pig excrement for over 100 years.

:lol: Any more of that and I'll set Sean Bean on you.

The biomass power station will work on cold windless winter nights, and anyway, even if this scheme doesn't generate 100% of Sheffield's power requirements 100% of the time, it is still a useful contribution.

But is it worth the investment?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/25/shale_gas_mp_agenda/

250 years is a long time.

But is it worth the investment?

http://www.theregist..._gas_mp_agenda/

250 years is a long time.

Shale gas exploitation is much more difficult in Europe compared to the USA. Not least because there are 1,500 rigs and crews/engineers and geologists etc. on the case in the USA but only 100 in all of Europe right now.

Also the geology and gas content is better in the US and there are millions of km2 of wide open spaces where few NIMBYs roam.

Do Howden, Ladybower & Derwent Water have massive modern, efficient electric turbines installed in them giving free, plentyful, energy all year round?

I think you mean the Derwent Reservoir, not Derwent Water, which is a natural lake in Cumbria.

I've no idea if they do, or how much they would produce if they did (take into account that you wouldn't want to let out more water than you're currently doing). I think Thirlmere once had a turbine on the outflow but it got removed. It may have been reinstated, but the very fact it was removed suggests that it can't have been producing that much. You've possibly got to define a hydroelectric system from scratch, and not tag it on to an existing reservoir for it to be much good. Steep ground below the dam, giving a good head of water no matter what the water level is in the reservoir is probably fairly important.