House Price Crash Forum
Charlie The Tramp Returns

If The Saudis Revolt, The World’S In Trouble Including The U K

The Telegraph

I wondered about this when the crisis in Libya blew up and I must agree with the writer entirely.

Be careful what you wish for. After an ambiguous start, Western leaders have broadly welcomed the wave of protest and revolutions sweeping North Africa and parts of the Middle East. But beneath the words of encouragement about people taking charge of their own destiny, there is a growing and vital concern – the security of our oil and gas supplies.
That’s making policymakers decidedly jumpy. Never mind the effect on inflation, which is already elevated, and the consequent implications for interest rates – by absorbing money which would normally be spent on other things, high oil prices have powerfully negative consequences for demand. Each of the last five global recessions has been preceded by a sharp spike in oil prices. Are we about to see the same thing happen again?
Those of a sanguine disposition point to the fact that, although Libya is an important producer, it represents less than 2 per cent of global output. Even if all production were suddenly to cease, the Saudis and other producers should be able to fill the gap from their ample reserves of spare capacity.

This, of course, assumes that the Saudis do indeed possess such spare capacity (many believe they don’t) and that it remains largely unaffected by the unrest. If Saudi falls, then the oil price will go through the roof, and probably stay there for a considerable length of time. That’s the alarmist scenario – and it seems more likely by the day.

I'm not convinced, but it certainly offers a very different perspective :blink:

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/saudi-arabia-hoping-to-bribe-its-citizens-not-to-revolt/

As we watch the wave of protests on the verge of taking down a third Arab leader, the Saudi Royal Family apparently thinks it can bribe the populace into remaining docile:

The king of Saudi Arabia last night announced $36bn (£22bn) of extra benefits for his people in an attempt to stop the wave of Arab uprisings spreading to the world’s biggest oil exporter, as experts warned Brent crude could hit $220 a barrel.

King Abdullah’s support package offers to give 18m lower and middle-income Saudi’s inflation-busting pay rises, unemployment benefits and affordable housing.

The cash-rich Saudi government pledged to spend a total of $400bn by the end of 2014 to improve education, health care and the kingdom’s infrastructure.

Don't worry he's busy bribing his own people to try to avoid a revolt.

They are certainly prepared to throw the money around.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/saudi-arabia-hoping-to-bribe-its-citizens-not-to-revolt/

Don't worry he's busy bribing his own people to try to avoid a revolt.

They are certainly prepared to throw the money around.

No sign of any revolt so far.

Interestingly - I went to Bahrain today and the taxi driver who took us told us customs were not allowing saudis in. Perhaps for two reasons - firstly to prevent saudi shias swelling the protests and secondly to prevent saudis seeing the protests directly and getting ideas.

Bahrain was quiet - but no two for one offers at Trader Vics :(

good.

I want the price of oil to go through the roof.

Every day I see a string of family cars with one person in each of them.

Every day I see very obese people filling their trolleys with ultracheap food and going to the car park.

Yes, I think that high prices of oil might actually be good for us.

yes, and they really love their kind. Saudi is different, we won't see revolt there.

If there were a revolt in Saudi we wouldn't get to see it in the same light as the current revolts, just as we don't get to see protests and uprisings in Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan and Pakistan. If revolts were to begin in Saudi I would expect to see the corporate news media suddenly shift its stance on the protests and begin to spin it as a terrorist/insurgent story which would pave the way for US aid to put down revolutionary forces.

Despite Saudis oil reserves, I think that a revolt in Pakistan would be far more serious, because they have nukes and the prospect of them being in the hands of anyone other than a US puppet would create a serious shift in the balance of power, possibly bringing other superpowers into the great game. Pakistan has a key strategic position in that it blocks China and Russia from a having a direct route to the middle east.

good.

Every day I see very obese people filling their trolleys with ultracheap food and going to the car park.

I take it you don't drive a cab :P

Edited by northwestsmith2

maybe a global energy shock is just what we need to get the Governments to do the right thing rather than prop up their buddies....without the oil, their buddies will be a second priority.

Bloomberg Business Week

A member of the Saudi royal family, Prince Talal Bin Abdul Aziz, warned in an interview with BBC Arabic TV that unless King Abdullah introduces more political participation and human rights, Saudi Arabia may also see protests.

“Unless problems facing Saudi Arabia are solved, what happened and is still happening in some Arab countries, including Bahrain, could spread to Saudi Arabia, even worse,” Prince Talal told the London-based TV broadcaster in an interview aired late Feb. 17.

maybe a global energy shock is just what we need to get the Governments to do the right thing rather than prop up their buddies....without the oil, their buddies will be a second priority.

On the sherry are we? :lol::lol:

Govt do the right thing, hilarious.

On the sherry are we? :lol::lol:

Govt do the right thing, hilarious.

I understand where you are coming from....but if they are staring down the barrel of an empty petrol pump, then that just might be enough to force them.

I understand where you are coming from....but if they are staring down the barrel of an empty petrol pump, then that just might be enough to force them.

Force them to have a meeting and condemn the price of petrol and demand it do the right thing for the people of Britain.

The nature of govt means they will be in denial.

If there were a revolt in Saudi we wouldn't get to see it in the same light as the current revolts, just as we don't get to see protests and uprisings in Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan and Pakistan. If revolts were to begin in Saudi I would expect to see the corporate news media suddenly shift its stance on the protests and begin to spin it as a terrorist/insurgent story which would pave the way for US aid to put down revolutionary forces.

Despite Saudis oil reserves, I think that a revolt in Pakistan would be far more serious, because they have nukes and the prospect of them being in the hands of anyone other than a US puppet would create a serious shift in the balance of power, possibly bringing other superpowers into the great game. Pakistan has a key strategic position in that it blocks China and Russia from a having a direct route to the middle east.

The russkies can get to the middle east any time they want by going south through the caucusus, they showed they could roll through georgia to near turkey's border just the other year. The big danger if pakistan changed to an unknown quantity is how india would take it - pre-emptive strike to make sure those nukes didn't end up flying to delhi?

Edited by noodle doodle

Force them to have a meeting and condemn the price of petrol and demand it do the right thing for the people of Britain.

The nature of govt means they will be in denial.

no petrol means no tax take.

Just wait until you get up in the morning to go shopping or to work, get into your car and find the tank is empty, impossible you say I have anti-syphoning fitted to my tank until you find a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank, it happened in the 1970s. :D

good.

+1

No kids in the streets, communities and families atomised, an epidemic of obesity, manufacture of durable goods replaced with mass consumption of disposable junk.

Oil costs more than money.

Nah, they'll be off to some little bolt hole in Patagonia and leave us all to drown in our own pi$$.

Just wait until you get up in the morning to go shopping or to work, get into your car and find the tank is empty, impossible you say I have anti-syphoning fitted to my tank until you find a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank, it happened in the 1970s. :D

Or as happened to me they just nicked the whole car and drove it 'till enpty and then dumped it.... at the seaside no less, cheeky barstewards.

good.

Yep! That's what I'm seeing.

If the people of Saudi Arabia rise up it might not be in the name of democracy. It''s a Wahabbi Islamic fundamentalist country, practicing the same form of Islam as Al Qaeda espouses. All that's different is that the Saudi royal family is friendly towards the west. So an islamist takeover in Saudi wouldn't mean changing society from top to bottom like it would elsewhere, it would just mean changing from a pro-western leadership to an anti-western one.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

+1

No kids in the streets, communities and families atomised, an epidemic of obesity, manufacture of durable goods replaced with mass consumption of disposable junk.

Oil costs more than money.

Agree 100%

The 'recession' was neatly timed to puncture the - at the time - rapidly growing discourse around sustainability and the future of the planet.

That's all gone away, and since then we have the scientifically illiterate (but bible quoting) global warming deniers taking control of the US congress.

We need another oil shock badly or this planet has no future whatsoever. Necessity is the mother of invention and maybe $450 oil will be the spur the planet needs to come up with a better alternative.

Edited by montesquieu

Sorry but a rise in the price of oil will mean more obese people as they try to cut back on food bills by buying the cheapest calories like crisps and other junk food instead of fruit vegetables and lean meats.