House Price Crash Forum

Whinging Expats

roblpm

HOLA441
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Tough. He went of his own free will to line his pockets. His employers should have their plans not expect me to pay!

I think the government did the right thing. However, what I found astonishing was how these people working for the oil companies in the desert were unprepared for an emergency or to get out of the country under their own steam.

HOLA443

I think the government did the right thing. However, what I found astonishing was how these people working for the oil companies in the desert were unprepared for an emergency or to get out of the country under their own steam.

Good comment.

I think that, if anything, shows the total ineptitude of the British Foreign Mission there, who are supposed to have their ear to the ground, if not a few listening devices disguised as pot plants and light fittings. FO Personnel didn't have a clue what was going on in Tunisia either, or give any tourists or tour companies advance warning.

As we know, the oil companies in Nigeria have their own armies of evil mercenaries (sorry, security personnel).

The farce in Libya is just a replay of the Evelyn Waugh novel, 'Scoop'. For those not familiar with the book, a gardening correspondent is sent - by mistake - to cover a rebellion in an African state.

On arrival, the briefing at the Embassy goes something like:

Correspondent: 'So what is the war about, exactly?'

Brit Ambassador: 'Oh . . . . the usual kerfuffle, you know, Patriots versus Rebels'.

Correspondent: 'And who are the Patriots and who are the Rebels?'

Brit Ambassador: 'Oh, impossible to say, old chap. They're all black'.

Evelyn Waugh. 'Scoop'.

HOLA444

.................................. and back to my point, make the oil companies pay, not the taxpayer.

All decent sized companies have contingency palns for fire, flood, civil disorder, planen crashes, etc. Surely the oil companies operating in such dangerous and unstable areas must have them too. Smacks of complete incompetence if they do not. Incompetence from an oil company! Well in the USA the oil company paid, NOT the taxpayer. The heads at the top also rolled!

HOLA445
HOLA446

Archived