House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roblpm

Whinging Expats

I am quite peturbed that despite the fact that many Libyans are getting killed by troops possibly trained and armed by the UK most of the news coverage has been on how our government is failing to repatriate UK citizens fast enough.

If you are non resident you do not pay UK tax on your foreign earnings. Is it just me or is it hypocritical to go abroad, pay no tax on your (probably large,oil company) salary and then expect the UK taxpayer to come and get you?

I am quite peturbed that despite the fact that many Libyans are getting killed by troops possibly trained and armed by the UK most of the news coverage has been on how our government is failing to repatriate UK citizens fast enough.

If you are non resident you do not pay UK tax on your foreign earnings. Is it just me or is it hypocritical to go abroad, pay no tax on your (probably large,oil company) salary and then expect the UK taxpayer to come and get you?

I'm quite surprised so many people go to work for a repressive militaristic dictatorial regime run by someone who is quite clearly bonkers, and then complain like hell when it all kicks off.

Without knowing all the ins and outs of it all, but I would say anyone working in a governmental role deserves the support for repatriation. Anyone else who lives there for private reasons, well, that's life to a certain extent I guess.

Excellent, you've said out loud what I've been thinking for the last two days. Any idea what the day rate is for an oil engineer in the desert? Got to be a few hundred quid.

I am surprised any of them want to come back - if they come back before 12 months they pay full UK tax and hence probably lose all benefit of having worked in Libya.

I suspect this is the reason why they all want to get on a ship rather than a plane. A ship will allow them to get off in Malta without being flown back directly to the UK.

Technically the moment they step aboard a Royal Navy warship they are back on UK soil - wonder how the tax man will look at this.

There are some other Brits refusing to leave some ferry in Libya but whinging about the UK Govt not doing enough to help them - is tax more of a worry to them than bullets?

On the other hand Expats are about the only export Britainistan has left.

I 'repatriate' about 5000 petro-pounds a month into the Uk economy which whilst I dont pay tax on my employment income the Uk treasury benefits from the fact I invest most the money in the Uk and ultimately will spend most of it there to the UK's benefit.

Originally I thought the same. But then I used my brain. We want engineers to work overseas so we can have our nice oil for things like cars and heating. So what that they don't pay tax, think of it like a benefit for being away from your family for years and in a weird country. I wouldn't do it, and so I don't begrudge them the extra money.

Originally I thought the same. But then I used my brain. We want engineers to work overseas so we can have our nice oil for things like cars and heating. So what that they don't pay tax, think of it like a benefit for being away from your family for years and in a weird country. I wouldn't do it, and so I don't begrudge them the extra money.

Of course, no other country in the world can produce engineers like he British. I don't care where they work. If "using your brain" is assuming everyone wants engineers to go abroad after the amount of taxpayer money that has been spent on their education, then I suggest you ask for a refund....

Of course, no other country in the world can produce engineers like he British. I don't care where they work. If "using your brain" is assuming everyone wants engineers to go abroad after the amount of taxpayer money that has been spent on their education, then I suggest you ask for a refund....

If Britain was that concerned engineers would be paid like bankers or lawyers.

Most of my colleagues at the bank ARE engineers (by education). They are also mostly Indian or French; very few British can compete with the ecoles de polytechnique and the IITs

Seriously think your argument through. What you suggest is everyone pays tax even those who live abroad or we don't even let them go abroad?

We reap the benefits of them working abroad indirectly, in the oil they help produce and in their salaries they save and then spend on their return. Few of them leave forever you know and not that many even go. It's a drop in the ocean.

They have to be saved so that they can continue to pay their UK mortgages.

The Ponzi fails without their economic support

Simples!

I thought the Government sorted it quite quickly, but then I've been used to 13 years of Labour.

Seriously think your argument through. What you suggest is everyone pays tax even those who live abroad or we don't even let them go abroad?

We reap the benefits of them working abroad indirectly, in the oil they help produce and in their salaries they save and then spend on their return. Few of them leave forever you know and not that many even go. It's a drop in the ocean.

Quite agree. But what I was trying to get over in starting this post is that having decided to go and work tax free in a completely dodgy country that they then expect HM Government to come to their rescue?! If I got a job in Kazhakstan or somewhere I know that I would be htinking that I am responsible for myself, or be asking the compnay I was working for what the contingency plans are??!!

They have to pay for repatriation themselves, it isn't free.

I am surprised any of them want to come back - if they come back before 12 months they pay full UK tax and hence probably lose all benefit of having worked in Libya.

I suspect this is the reason why they all want to get on a ship rather than a plane. A ship will allow them to get off in Malta without being flown back directly to the UK.

Technically the moment they step aboard a Royal Navy warship they are back on UK soil - wonder how the tax man will look at this.

There are some other Brits refusing to leave some ferry in Libya but whinging about the UK Govt not doing enough to help them - is tax more of a worry to them than bullets?

But if they have been there past a tax year they get split year treatment:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm

(Sorry to be pedantic, studying for tax exams!!)

Once they have been out for a full tax year, they can come back for 90 days in any year without losing their non-resident status, or longer if it is due to an emergency situation, which this probably is.

And anyway, I suspect most people just want to remain alive and don't care about the tax consequences.

Well 90% of the engineers on my degree course were from overseas and many of them were just as good as the British. Including the Iranian, btw.

Most UK ex pats working in Libya will be working for UK oil companies, so they have some expectation of protection

The oil workers ive seen on TV have been quite chilled about it.

Just to get your envy levels up, most expat oil workers in Libya would not go there for 300GBP a day, try doubling that.

But we oil workers may not pay tax but do spend money in the UK economy, should they be unfortunate enough to live here.

Do you bring 100K a year into the country?

If engineers marketed their value and controlled the manangement of their companies, then they could pay themselves more.

They have to pay for repatriation themselves, it isn't free.

If true, that's a relief. Perhaps it could be means tested in proportion to what they earned abroad?

This website is worse then the comments section on the Daily Mail.

Like i say the oil workers ive seen on TV have all been chilled out as theyre miles from anywhere with good security, some even offshore.

But British nationals with family here (who have been on TV worrying) would like a flight home from a country in civil war with a nutcase who despises the British in charge and some on here want to kick up a fuss about it.

Is this some way of showing how anti government you are, and that youre really a successful capitalist who would make it to the top in a country with no govt or rule of law.

I bet youd be the first to cry that the goverenment arent helping if you get stranded at the airport in Europe this summer if your airline goes bust!

The oil workers ive seen on TV have all been chilled out as theyre miles from anywhere with good security, some even offshore.

Which rather supports my case up-thread that this is largely a manufactured issue to support an anti-government agenda.

North west tonight had lady whose husband works for oil company.

He was told to get to airport and they'll fly him out. Apparently she wants armed guard for him paid by tax payers