House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jay67

Poorly Nokia 3310 Mobile

I suspect my mobile(bought 8.5 years ago,and still on the original battery)is dying,but thought I'd check on here first,as there's so many techies on the site.A few weeks ago,it was difficult to switch on in the mornings,unless it was on charge.It used to take 30 mins to charge the battery to full,but now it's says still charging after 2-3 hours.It's randomly lighting the screen up every few minutes,so the battery level drops very quickly.I can sometimes send a very brief text,but if I'm still writing a text after 30 seconds,the screen goes blank.It seems to make calls and receive texts though.Is the phone completely shot,or is it due to the battery? Many thanks for any advice.

I suspect my mobile(bought 8.5 years ago,and still on the original battery)is dying,but thought I'd check on here first,as there's so many techies on the site.A few weeks ago,it was difficult to switch on in the mornings,unless it was on charge.It used to take 30 mins to charge the battery to full,but now it's says still charging after 2-3 hours.It's randomly lighting the screen up every few minutes,so the battery level drops very quickly.I can sometimes send a very brief text,but if I'm still writing a text after 30 seconds,the screen goes blank.It seems to make calls and receive texts though.Is the phone completely shot,or is it due to the battery? Many thanks for any advice.

Try ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-BLC-2-BLC2-Battery-Nokia-3310-3390-6010-3585i-/320659393426?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4aa8ca0b92

if he can't live without it.

Otherwise get a new Smart Phone - the Samsung Omnia 7 is very cool btw, better than my old Android.

looks like its game over for the 3310.

I would NOT recommend any of the fancy newfangled touch screen "smart" phones costing hundreds of pounds and with 4 hour battery lives...

get a Nokia C3-00 if you're texting a lot. http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-c3-00

cheap and cheerful

qwerty keypad

good build quality

decent battery - lasts a good few days

threaded messaging and wifi etc... all mod cons that you really need.

only downside, crap camera and no 3G. but you won't miss it if you lose it, and any mugger would feel pity for you and give it back :D

Don't waste your money.

You want a phone right?

Go to Tescos, they have cheap phones for less than £20. Will last as long as any financial extravaganza.

get a Nokia C3-00 if you're texting a lot. http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-c3-00

That's the same form factor as my E71, which is far and away the nicest 'phone[1] I've encountered (and that includes much more expensive blackberry/apple/android/maemo models).

only downside,

You want more, get a similar-looking E8 or E72 - more upmarket variants. Or an E71, though I suspect that's now discontinued. The GPS/maps are a lifesaver when one arrives in an unfamiliar place!

Be prepared to install a few apps. For example, the native web browser is crap, but Opera mobile gives you something better.

[1] as opposed to pocket-puter.

No takers for the "mobile data" always-online-revolution (or bubble) here then? :blink:

No takers for the "mobile data" always-online-revolution (or bubble) here then? :blink:

I'm happy to have connectivity from almost anywhere with the pocket-puter.

But that wasn't the question. And those devices that take two hands (or a virtuoso) to use and have to be recharged every day or two are no substitute for a 'phone.

A phone like the one in my previous post gives you always-on and connectivity from anywhere, but I wasn't going to stress that in this context.

That's the same form factor as my E71, which is far and away the nicest 'phone[1] I've encountered (and that includes much more expensive blackberry/apple/android/maemo models).

You want more, get a similar-looking E8 or E72 - more upmarket variants. Or an E71, though I suspect that's now discontinued. The GPS/maps are a lifesaver when one arrives in an unfamiliar place!

Be prepared to install a few apps. For example, the native web browser is crap, but Opera mobile gives you something better.

[1] as opposed to pocket-puter.

The Nokia E71 is a good phone - good signal quality and excellent Exchange sync. That was my previous model, which my wife has now inherited on £10 per month plan with 3, so quite a cheap deal.

I now have a Samsung Omnia 7, the battery life is very good for a smart phone (12 hours with say 2-3 hour calls) due to the super amoled screen which uses less power. Some of the standard type screens on smart phones drink power meaning only a 4 hour battery life without even using the phone.

Seriously if you do want a smart phone I'd recommend the Omnia7 by a country mile. Windows Phone 7 is really very good, i much prefer it to Android, though right now it might look a bit quirky having Windows Phone due to its lower market share and the fact that past Windows Mobile efforts that were very poor. But seriously WP7 is brilliant

The Nokia E71 is a good phone - good signal quality and excellent Exchange sync. That was my previous model, which my wife has now inherited on £10 per month plan with 3, so quite a cheap deal.

I now have a Samsung Omnia 7, the battery life is very good for a smart phone (12 hours with say 2-3 hour calls) due to the super amoled screen which uses less power. Some of the standard type screens on smart phones drink power meaning only a 4 hour battery life without even using the phone.

Seriously if you do want a smart phone I'd recommend the Omnia7 by a country mile. Windows Phone 7 is really very good, i much prefer it to Android, though right now it might look a bit quirky having Windows Phone due to its lower market share and the fact that past Windows Mobile efforts that were very poor. But seriously WP7 is brilliant

How can it be any good at all with such a small battery life?

My el cheapo on Tesco costs next to nothing and the battery lasts at least 6 days, left on 24 hours a day.

I use my phone to............well, phone people.

What do you do with yours?

How can it be any good at all with such a small battery life?

My el cheapo on Tesco costs next to nothing and the battery lasts at least 6 days, left on 24 hours a day.

I use my phone to............well, phone people.

What do you do with yours?

Welcome to the life of a smartphone owner.

My eldest has just had an Orange San Francisco for her birthday, it seems to be permanently attached to the ruddy charger.

I'll be sticking with something that needs charging once a week.