House Price Crash Forum

Anybody Applied For A Mortgage Lately?

HOLA441

Just on the interweb wondering what I could lend when the time comes and two things struck me. Firstly, how many lenders don't have the "how much can I borrow" calculator on their website anymore. And secondly, the two I found that did (Woolwich and HSBC I think) would only lend just over 2X (in one case) or max 3X (the other) our joint income, which is pretty much UK average household income - and this is assuming a 50K deposit :o

If this is representative and lending has tightened up that much (I can remember 5/6X joint income, regardless of deposit, on similar calculators pre-crunch) then the housing market really is toast!

Has anybody here (especially FTBs) actually applied for a mortgage recently - what max income multiple were you offered?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Just on the interweb wondering what I could lend when the time comes and two things struck me. Firstly, how many lenders don't have the "how much can I borrow" calculator on their website anymore. And secondly, the two I found that did (Woolwich and HSBC I think) would only lend just over 2X (in one case) or max 3X (the other) our joint income, which is pretty much UK average household income - and this is assuming a 50K deposit :o

Excellent news! [Rubs hands] B)

HOLA446

Dont really see it myself.

Post office is

4.5 x main income plus 1 x second income or 4 x joint income if greater. At least one applicant must have a minimum income of £15,000.

Leeds BS

90% max Up to £400,000 4.00 x 3.25 x or 4.00 x main plus 1 x second

85% max Up to £500,000 4.25 x 3.50 x or 4.25 x main plus 1 x second

80% max Up to £750,000 4.50 x 3.75 x or 4.50 x main plus 1 x second

75% max Up to £750,000 4.50 x 3.75 x or 4.50 x main plus 1 x second

50% max Up to £750,000 4.50 x 3.75 x or 4.50 x main plus 1 x second

Edited by FIGGY

HOLA447

If this is representative and lending has tightened up that much (I can remember 5/6X joint income, regardless of deposit, on similar calculators pre-crunch) then the housing market really is toast!

Has anybody here (especially FTBs) actually applied for a mortgage recently - what max income multiple were you offered?

this is not due to cruch anymore, If the bank think a average house will drop 20% price, then they won't lend more than 70% of the value of the house price. and BH, if they think there is a big risk of people losting job. evn for muliple X2 will still make them unafforable.

HOLA448

I'm seeing Halifax on Monday as I'm tempted by an auction. So I'll see how much they will lend.

This auction - can anyone advise. When the vendor states CASH ONLY do they mean no mortgages at all?

I'm think they have had a few sales fall through - due to lack of mortgage finance? Or should that ring alarm bells re: condition?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm seeing Halifax on Monday as I'm tempted by an auction. So I'll see how much they will lend.

This auction - can anyone advise. When the vendor states CASH ONLY do they mean no mortgages at all?

I'm think they have had a few sales fall through - due to lack of mortgage finance? Or should that ring alarm bells re: condition?

Beware it may be un mortgagable due to structural or other problems. it may be worth getting a survey done beforehand.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Well, 3.75 joint with Barclays, 15% deposit... not offer but accepted in principle paperwork in should know next week.

One thing I did find is that in most cases apart from Nationwide, most lenders will not offer interest only. I wanted IO to give me flexibilty...but not at 15%dep they wont have it. Also before you could switch between the two if required, but most mortgages offered under 25% now not a chance.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Last summer I know someone self employed on £23k who was worried about being able to get £93k from Lloyds.

He had £75k cash and wanted to buy a house for £168k so 55% LTV

They offered him £115k (5x). He took £93k on a 2 year fix and they stuck a £2k fee onto the mortgage.

He bought the house and hates it. The house he bought wasn't at all what he had been looking for - it was like going out looking for a shirt and coming home with a pair of trousers. It didn't help that his "dream house" came on late last year for not much more than he had bought this one for.

He was renting a lovely 5 bedroomed farmhouse for £600 a month from a decent landlord before he bought.

It's not may fault I tried to tell him.... :(

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I've been trying HSBC calculator:

https://mortgages.hsbc.co.uk/how-much-can-I-borrow/?step=0

For 30 year old earning 28K with 25K deposit, you can borrow 98K.

So that's exactly 3.5 income, innit?

(3.5 x 28=96)

Just tried that using your £28k income as a FTB and a deposit not property value

Using £11k it's a 90% LTV at £98k so 3.5

Using £110k it's a 53% LTV at £126k so 4.5

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Just tried that using your £28k income as a FTB and a deposit not property value

Using £11k it's a 90% LTV at £98k so 3.5

Using £110k it's a 53% LTV at £126k so 4.5

But with a 53% LTV they are not really providing a mortgage. HSBC are limiting any exposure

by either the house price being so low it's close to a realistic income multiple or the cash

deposit being so high any falls won't touch their asset.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

We've not tried to see .., but then we have reached a stage in life where we are downsizing to something small enough to keep family and kids from visiting and stopping over ... And consequently since I was made to take a forced early redundancy/retirement ... Now want somewhere small enough for 2 of us that we can buy outright

HOLA4425

I am not seeing it. I am buying for the first time, borrowing a little more than twice joint salary. When the mortgage advisor ran us through the affordability analysis, they were prepared to lend us £315,000. No way could we afford to pay back a loan that size.