House Price Crash Forum

Just heard SW WATER plan to impose an 8% increase in prices this year.Every year its the same. Local TV stations make it headline news, and express shock and horror. But every year, they get away with it. What the hell are the "watchdogs" doing about it? Sod all is the answer. Ditto for council tax, utility bills, car insurance,fuel etc. How can house prices do anything but fall big time in the face of such large and unjustified rises? "Big Society"? For some, not others.

Just heard SW WATER plan to impose an 8% increase in prices this year.Every year its the same. Local TV stations make it headline news, and express shock and horror. But every year, they get away with it. What the hell are the "watchdogs" doing about it? Sod all is the answer. Ditto for council tax, utility bills, car insurance,fuel etc. How can house prices do anything but fall big time in the face of such large and unjustified rises? "Big Society"? For some, not others.

It was already the most expensive water in the country

If they could work out a way of capturing all of the oxygen, storing it in gasometers and then selling it back to us as "breathing air" they would do it.

if you don't like it, vote with your feet and.. er... oh, they've got us by the nuts havent they?

must be nice to sell a product for profit which falls out the sodding sky practically every day.

Edited by Reck B

if you don't like it, vote with your feet and.. er... oh, they've got us by the nuts havent they?

must be nice to sell a product for profit which falls out the sodding sky practically every day.

I think it's more that it's a monopoly. With other utilities, you have a bit of choice (but not a proper market); with water, there isn't any,

Peter.

Big Society?

Nah - Big COST society, more like.

I think it's more that it's a monopoly. With other utilities, you have a bit of choice (but not a proper market); with water, there isn't any,

Peter.

You have to pass it yourself.

Just heard SW WATER plan to impose an 8% increase in prices this year.Every year its the same. Local TV stations make it headline news, and express shock and horror. But every year, they get away with it. What the hell are the "watchdogs" doing about it?

Backhander_envelope_cash.jpg

I pay 1 pound for a 17.5 litre bottle of FRESH spring water, one of those big water bottles that I can put on my water cooler. Please compare that to the price you are paying to drink horrible tap water in the UK :lol:

As for the water bills for my running water it's probably a couple of pounds/ month.

How much is an average water bill? Having not lived in England for years I have no clue.

We have a water meter and are paying United Utilities £28 a month via direct debit. Two person household. I'm hoping we are paying too much but not been here a full year yet.

Last meter in 2010 my family were on it was £26 per month on a meter, that was being very conscious usage i.e. if it's yellow let it mellow (unless we has guests of course). The time before that there was a very convenient tap in the churchyard that I could just about reach through the fence at the end of our garden and using a 10litre container didn't strain my back and the bill was about £18 a month. Now we are on a rated water charge of 8monthsx£45 so £360 although I expect a deflationary hike for apr11 :(

Last meter in 2010 my family were on it was £26 per month on a meter, that was being very conscious usage i.e. if it's yellow let it mellow (unless we has guests of course). The time before that there was a very convenient tap in the churchyard that I could just about reach through the fence at the end of our garden and using a 10litre container didn't strain my back and the bill was about £18 a month. Now we are on a rated water charge of 8monthsx£45 so £360 although I expect a deflationary hike for apr11 :(

If its brown flush it down, or are you more staunch than that? :D

We have a water meter and are paying United Utilities £28 a month via direct debit. Two person household. I'm hoping we are paying too much but not been here a full year yet.

Christ! You're either overpaying or using an awful lot of water somehow. We're paying £10 a month to Wessex Water for a two person household, but are pretty frugal. £15 a month is probably more like average.

Christ! You're either overpaying or using an awful lot of water somehow. We're paying £10 a month to Wessex Water for a two person household, but are pretty frugal. £15 a month is probably more like average.

I've just worked it out in the hope that I was paying far too much by direct debit - unfortunately it isn't miles off.

Aug 5th to 31st Jan is 179 days

Standing charge is £109 per annum so for that period is 179/365 * £109 = £53.45

Units used were 32.5 at £2.458 = £79.89

Cost = £133.34

We are paying £28.86 per month or £346.32 per year

Payments = 179/365 = £169.84

Looks like £36.50 in credit.so £6 per month overpaid. Might just cover the next price rise!

Just heard SW WATER plan to impose an 8% increase in prices this year.Every year its the same. Local TV stations make it headline news, and express shock and horror. But every year, they get away with it. What the hell are the "watchdogs" doing about it?

Were water is concerned, the increase that the company are applying will be the one that the watchdog told them to apply.

tim