OnlyMe

HOLA441
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I suppose that Chinese manufacturers are seeing the same kind of inflation in their raw material costs. So given that they are operating on far smaller margins I wonder how that will effect the Chinese economic miracle?

One must remember that these goods have an average 4-6 months lead time on our markets so we won't see the results on their products until around July.

I do think this is part of the FED strategy, albeit a dangerous one with some quite unpleasant side-effects however it will eventually blow itself out as the CO2 of commodity inflation snuffs out consumer demand.

---- I'd also add that I suspect the Chinese foresaw this strategy and that's why they started stock-piling materials, to give them the edge during this period.

Edited by TwoWolves

HOLA443

In case you missed it, this was from the CBI's press release yesterday re its quarterly Distributive Trades survey:

At the same time price inflation on the high street has risen considerably in February, with 77% of retailers saying that average selling prices rose on a year ago, and 4% saying they fell. That gives a balance of +73%, the highest since 1991, up from +45% in November (this question is quarterly). Prices are expected to rise at a similar pace in March (+74%).

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'd love to follow Bart Becht around for a day to see what he actually does that's worth a quarter of a million quid.

Also Nurofen is a total con, the active ingredient is ibuprofen which was invented in the 1960s and has been off patent for donkey's years. That's why you can buy the generic version for 28p for 16 tablets in supermarkets. When people pay £3.50 for 16 tablets of Nurofen, they are paying £3 for clever marketing.

From Wikipedia:

But that's just it. Simon Cowell pulls the same sh!t with the stage fodder he presents to the world. Remeber, it's not what you can do, it's how much you can make from it. The more useless the product the more value you have to add to get folks to pay a premium for it. Using this logic you can see why people have rated the Pope for so long, and conversely, why they are so negative about researchers surviving on minimum wage.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

If he's seeing unprecedented inflation in raw materials (he said for example a 20% increase in one month in PET) he's likely concerned about possible carnage in his sector caused by Mervyn King's Nero inflationary stance as in stagflation more and more people will be really hunting hard for real value and that currently isn't with the UK mainstream, far from it, it's more likely to be with Lidl and suchlike. So far as Britvic's concerned there are plenty of cheaper brands compared to the Britvic brands.

You bet.

Should think that a fair amount of their sales are through the pub and restaurant trade where soft drinks are already a rip off. More business away from the pubs and more tothe off license / supermarkets or cheapest of all the well run, low profile, low cost base german outlets.

HOLA449

Also Nurofen is a total con, the active ingredient is ibuprofen which was invented in the 1960s and has been off patent for donkey's years. That's why you can buy the generic version for 28p for 16 tablets in supermarkets. When people pay £3.50 for 16 tablets of Nurofen, they are paying £3 for clever marketing.

Ironically for many people Nurofen works better than the generic because of the placebo effect of you believing that it is better than the generic one because it costs more and is marketed. However if you believe what I just said ( or that it is a total con as Dorkins said ) it means you'll don't get any of the additional placebo effect of Nurofen so it is a total con.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Ironically for many people Nurofen works better than the generic because of the placebo effect of you believing that it is better than the generic one because it costs more and is marketed. However if you believe what I just said ( or that it is a total con as Dorkins said ) it means you'll don't get any of the additional placebo effect of Nurofen so it is a total con.

Moneysaving tip: if you have a sick relative who is easily influenced by advertising, get an old Nurofen cardboard box and put the Sainsbury's ibuprofen blister pack inside. Brand name placebo effects at generic prices!

<HUGZ> beerchug.gif

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Oddly, placebos work even when the user knows it's a placebo... (iirc)

Humans are weird.

HOLA4415

The CEO of Britivic had better start looking for a location where inflation is not going to be actively persued as a goal then.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/inflation-unprecedented-says-britvic-2225076.html

Inflation 'unprecedented' says Britvic

By Nikhil Kumar

Friday, 25 February 2011

The chief executive of the drinks group Britvic added to the increasing concern about rising prices last night when he said that he had never before seen such big increases in the cost of raw materials in such a short period of time.

The company, whose portfolio of brands includes Robinsons and Tango, said the pace of price rises in recent weeks had been "unprecedented", so much so that has now almost doubled its estimate of input-cost inflation for the UK and Ireland to 9-11 per cent, against 5-6 per cent previously.

Anecdotal- a friend who runs a small hotel group told me their food input costs for january alone saw an 18% increase. We won't get the full picture till the end of the 1st quarter.

HOLA4416

Thanks for these numbers Redhat Sly it really does dot the i's and cross the t's.

It doesn't really dot the i's and cross the t's because most of what I have listed is "remuneration". If you look at such as Reckitt & Benckier's Bart Becht it's the share options that make the real money.

FTSE bosses own massive amounts of shares, could that be why the remuneration excesses are voted through even though private shareholders often vote against them?

HOLA4417

Good Post and shocking reading.

We are being shafted left right and centre but yet people are still living in fantasy land (watching drivel on TV and dreaming that they cr@p 2-up-2-down hasn't lost anything in value)

As I said on a post yesterday, my bro went for a job interview for a 6 month contract with RBS - IT project management. The rate was @ 800 per day. And we own that crock of sh1t. I'd prefer to cut out the middle man and just give my hard earned cash straight to my brother!

I agree, it was a good post. Normally I think we should leave the free Market alone, but something has gone wrong with it here. I have said before that the underlying problem is that shareholder votes have been stolen by institutions, and are misused to allow this sort of theft from shareholders. A rule change is needed so that only the beneficial holders of shares can vote on them. That would mean that small shareholders are no longer outvoted by a mate of a director wielding millions of votes in someone else's pension fund.

Apart from that, we will need a revolution. No point in supporting a regime that supports the few who steal from the many.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Moneysaving tip: if you have a sick relative who is easily influenced by advertising, get an old Nurofen cardboard box and put the Sainsbury's ibuprofen blister pack inside. Brand name placebo effects at generic prices!

<HUGZ> beerchug.gif

...I am giving myself a new and exciting challenge...I am giving up brand names and will try to source the best nameless alternative that I can..... ;)

HOLA4420

But this isn't inflation - it's speculation, and will collapse.

Not if the authorities keep with ZIRP and money printing - and they will.

When you consider all the new money that has been QuEased into the economy to allow the banks to rebuild their capital bases, we're sitting atop a pile of highly inflammable inflationary material just waiting for the spark to light it.

That we should be seeing such large price increases already, even as we should be seeing deflation against the backdrop of a limping economy, should be a honking great warning signal.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Anecdotal- a friend who runs a small hotel group told me their food input costs for january alone saw an 18% increase. We won't get the full picture till the end of the 1st quarter.

Well, as long as the staff don't ask for any more money nothing else matters - heck the gas, water, electricity, insurances, rents, rates, services, equipment, repairs, inspections, certificates, the whole damn full nine yeards can all go up, but it won't matter. It is all about inflation expectatiosn you see, apparently and wages.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4423

The main problem we have at the moment is that most people are idiots.

Lol at the youth on mobility scooters.

I'm seriously considering getting one, I'll beat the bus to work and it will be cheaper. I'm priced out of car ownership due to insurance costs, you see. It's a little bit safer than cycling aswell, and you can get away with riding on the pavements.

HOLA4424

And the key to writing this sort of drivel is healthy amounts of crack cocaine?

Ah: so you are an expert on Economics theory as well as Motivational Psychology and Behavioural Science too then.

Impressive: where did you read your multitude of doctorates?

HOLA4425