House Price Crash Forum

Bank Of England Split Deepens As Adam Posen Downplays Inflation Threat

Injin

HOLA441

Yep.

Meanwhile, the average citizen is down the pub winging about the price of bread and the cost of petrol without bothering to join the bleeding dots.

What will it actually take before the people finally kick off? I mean really?

What will it take?

Apparantly if you set up a Facebook page mobs will overthrow the government... ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Who knows? I do know that people in Britain are predisposed to accepting a whole heap of crap being dumped upon them - you only have to look at Ireland which is culturally very close, where the state has been bankrupted because politicians decided to bail out the banks at any cost.

Despite the country being shafted for decades because of this bizarre (bizarre in the context that the politicians are supposed to be looking out of the interests of the country) decision, aside from grumbling about it the general public seem to be doing very little. No mass protests, no calls for judicial inquiries. Just lots of bellyaching and still a widespread ignorance of the way the financial system operates.

Oh, they'll kick out the political party that got them into the mess only to put another one who also fully supports the state continuing to pay back the banksters' bad debts and I'll wager that they'll even vote the original shower of idiots back in within a decade. They'll be spending the next 10-20 years grumbling about how bad things are without every thinking of exactly WHY they are in such a bad way.

With that in mind, the only thing that'll motivate people into taking action I'd guess will be when things get so bad that the average person can't afford enough food to fill their bellies. Up until that point they'll accept any amount of reaming by the elites as long as it's sugar coated with dumbed down trash TV, celebrity role models, freely available cheap booze, overhyped sports and the crutch of credit to make up for ever decreasing real wealth.

The problem is that their is no unity in this country, we've been split/played off against each other/socially engineered to the extent that they may as well remove United from the United Kingdom. (and the kingdom, come to think of it, fat lot of good the monarchy have been in protecting us from these ubercunts.)

HOLA445

Posen, who still backed an extension of the Bank's quantitative easing programme at this month's meeting, said he did not expect high inflation to persist. Asked if inflation would remain high for a long time at a conference at the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research in Mumbai, he said: "I don't think that's what's going to happen... It may happen for a few years ... but I think it is fundamentally uneconomic to believe that markets do not adjust, economies do not adjust."

Gobbledygook.

HOLA446

I get really annoyed at these ******** fat cats whose comments are always a mile off the mark.

They say no inflation as wages are not rising, but clearly do not consider the more important fact, which is that people have less purchasing power every month.

They do admit that. Even Mervyn, officially.

The sad truth is that during the last decade the whole country was living increasingly beyond its means. The credit bubble was lifting most boats - at different degrees of course... But lifting nevertheless. A lot extra money going around in the economy. Now... there is no way to keep this party going. Standards of living will fall. No choice here, I'm afraid.

Basically they are just arguing if they should do it in nominal (visible) or real terms (masked by inflation).

I mean:

Increase IRates, slowdown the economy, and do it visibly - recession, lower salaries.

Or let some inflation in the system, keep nominal salaries constant, and do it in real terms only.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA447

I think the B of E are doing the right thing with the low interest rates.

It was the boom period that was the problem. ERIC is right.

and if we had of had higher tax in the boom period and paid off our deficits that would have stopped house prices running away.

HOLA448
HOLA449

and if we had of had higher tax in the boom period and paid off our deficits that would have stopped house prices running away.

You can pay off debt but only reduce deficit. The two terms are not the same, though the way the media mix the two up it's no wonder there is confusion.

HOLA4410

You can pay off debt but only reduce deficit. The two terms are not the same, though the way the media mix the two up it's no wonder there is confusion.

Yes you are quite right I did use the wrong worm. I'm not sure if interest rates should have been higher in the boom or not. If we had of had higher interest rates we would of had a stronger pound which would have made imports even cheaper and export near impossible. I think higher tax would have been better to control over exuberance.

Edited by gf3

HOLA4411

"The American economist said he was not concerned about inflation because wage growth was "going to be very low for the next couple of years".

Did the banker just had their wage and bonus increased this year compared to last year?

oh forgot, that do not increase inflation in UK as they spend money offshore and not even pay tax in UK. meaning more deflation as there is less and less moeny in UK.

Deflation is coming......

HOLA4412