House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Registering A Birth

We registered our newborn sons birth last week. For those who don't know, there are two birth certificates, one which contains basic details and one which contains full details.

Both certificates are peices of A4 paper which are run through a printer and signed.

The certificate which contains basic details is free - after signing this document, the registrar said. " would you like a full certificate? you will need one to open bank accounts etc.... you can't do this with the free one & the full certificates cost £3.50." :blink: Also, the certificate folder they give you contains stacks of marketing material for baby products

Add to this the persistant Bounty photographers who harrangue you immediately post-birth in the hospital (when all you want to do is be left the ****** alone with your new sprog and sore partner) & one might deduce that the most natural and amazing experience really ought not be tarnsihed in this way.

We registered our newborn sons birth last week. For those who don't know, there are two birth certificates, one which contains basic details and one which contains full details.

Both certificates are peices of A4 paper which are run through a printer and signed.

The certificate which contains basic details is free - after signing this document, the registrar said. " would you like a full certificate? you will need one to open bank accounts etc.... you can't do this with the free one & the full certificates cost £3.50." :blink: Also, the certificate folder they give you contains stacks of marketing material for baby products

Add to this the persistant Bounty photographers who harrangue you immediately post-birth in the hospital (when all you want to do is be left the ****** alone with your new sprog and sore partner) & one might deduce that the most natural and amazing experience really ought not be tarnsihed in this way.

When we registered the birth they ask some questions that don't even appear on the birth cert, I just refused to answer them much to the shock of the jobsworth at the council office. The £3.50 is a bit of a con, but its hardly a big cost. As for the photographers, I just said no thanks and was amused by the way they look at you with surprise that you would not want to have your photo taken. I think it is actually a crime to not register a birth, which is kinda strange.

Congrats by the way.

Congratulations! Hope everyone is fine.

That £3.50 is just the start of the baby rip-off. No dooubt you've seen the price of prams :o

Reck C?

Congratulations! Hope everyone is fine.

That £3.50 is just the start of the baby rip-off. No dooubt you've seen the price of prams :o

What, you mean the Maclaren F1 Turbo GTI pram for only £3,999.99?

Congrats!

What info is on the £3.50 one that isn't on the free one? Surely a bank would only need to know you are who you say you are and where and when you were born?

Sounds like a con to me.

Friend had a baby recently ... registering the baby with a doctors is proving troublesome. The mum and dad are at different doctors ... and neither wants to take on the baby ... One because they say it's out of area (It's not) and the other say they want the whole family.

Most banks don't accept a birth certificate as ID, and those that do don't differentiate between the basic and full one.

That's good, innit?

The sprog is getting an education about life in the world you've brought him in to. :P

Thanks for all the congrats ;) he's doing well, bit of colic last night so I managed a couple of hours sleep..

The full certificate contains info on both parents place of births and occupations The registrar also asked what my salary range was during the appointment "just for statistical purposes" nosy bint.

Prams ! tell me about it ! Though the bugaboo we bought for our daughter only really 'cost' us £200 - (bought for £600, sold on ebay for £400.) Friends have paid more than £200 on poor quality prams which have bust before their kids are walking meaning a second purchase.. so it's swings and roundabouts i s'pose.

Bought an ex display model double decker phil and teds to replace it.

phil_and_ted_sports_kid.jpg

Friend had a baby recently ... registering the baby with a doctors is proving troublesome. The mum and dad are at different doctors ... and neither wants to take on the baby ... One because they say it's out of area (It's not) and the other say they want the whole family.

How Hippocratic

Most banks don't accept a birth certificate as ID, and those that do don't differentiate between the basic and full one.

Banks maybe not, but some things do require the full birth certificate.

Banks maybe not, but some things do require the full birth certificate.

Passports being the main one. They want to know both parents details, as nowadays children's surnames aren't often from both parents (if that makes sense)

The short cert is fine for child benefits, but not much else by all accounts. It seems silly, as they take all the details, so they may as well just print you a full one there and then. If you don't buy a full cert at the time of registering, it costs about £9 to get at a later date.

We registered our new arrival last week.... they didn't ask about our salaries - so I'm suspicious about someone else being asked it...

The registrar that did ours told us that 70-80% of births registered at the moment are out of wedlock - which I thought was a pretty high statistic. However, she told us it kept them in business, as often the parents wind up getting married, and then the child needs re-registering, as originally the child would have been registered in the mother's surname, and then they all switch to the father's surname - she's happy, as it means they're registering lots of kids twice, which keeps her in business!

And the Emma's diary freebies that are promoted at the time of registering aren't worth it. I figured I'd get put on the junk mail listings (the joys of living in rented - at some point, it'll be someone else's problem once we've moved on) and get the freebies - one can of Appletiser, a sample of breast pads (at least they had the decency to put a pair in....), and a (small) sample of cocoa butter moisturiser - it felt like a bit of a swindle really! The Bounty stuff was much better.

Passports being the main one. They want to know both parents details, as nowadays children's surnames aren't often from both parents (if that makes sense)

Short one did for my son's passport. Although it's a few years old now...

It seems to me registering a child is the worst thing you can do for it. It becomes the property of the state and subject to many regulations that do not apply to free men. Once registered you can never become unregistered.

About 30 years ago, when registering my first -born, I was a company director of my own one-man company. The registrar asked me the usual questions, and then asked my salary. I replied that I wouldn't know until the end of the next financial year. She then asked me how many people worked at this company, which I declined to answer, saying I'd come to register a birth, not fill in a commercial census. I got read the riot act. Very slowly, she read out the legal requirements to register a birth.

So I told her I employed 40 people, and looked her in the eye.

If you have to give 'em data, make sure it's useless.

We we registered little Miyagi 19 months ago the lady asked both are occupations and if are jobs required the supervision of others. I thought it strange at the time, but put it down to a parental survey.

Congrats with the new one. Little Miyagi suffered with terrible colic, in the end we switched his milk to Aptimal comfort (against the advice of the health worker). It was an instant result.

God, that stuff's intrusive. I can't see how it's (a) any of their business, or (B) relevent when it could (and probably will) change considerably over the child's life. Double congratulations on people who told them to where to shove their nosey questions.

I was utterly disgusted by this when we had our first. Their whole business seemed to depend upon making less well-off couples feel like bad parents if they didn't shell out 20 quid of money they probably didn't have for a couple of pictures anyone could do on their mobile phone. Parasites.

Thanks for all the congrats ;) he's doing well, bit of colic last night so I managed a couple of hours sleep..

The full certificate contains info on both parents place of births and occupations The registrar also asked what my salary range was during the appointment "just for statistical purposes" nosy bint.

Prams ! tell me about it ! Though the bugaboo we bought for our daughter only really 'cost' us £200 - (bought for £600, sold on ebay for £400.) Friends have paid more than £200 on poor quality prams which have bust before their kids are walking meaning a second purchase.. so it's swings and roundabouts i s'pose.

Bought an ex display model double decker phil and teds to replace it.

phil_and_ted_sports_kid.jpg

Phil and Ted's all the way my friend. Cheap prams are a false economy.

Congrats!

What info is on the £3.50 one that isn't on the free one? Surely a bank would only need to know you are who you say you are and where and when you were born?

Sounds like a con to me.

it has photo ID and RFID preconfigured biometric data.