House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Driving Slower?

I've noticed this esepecially over the last month. I have a ten mile stretch of quiet dual carriageway that I usually do at 60 / 62 (cruise control on) so I can relax before arriving at work, check my phone whatever. Last year that would usually mean one or zero overtakes needed for a tractor and suchlike, recently it's more like half a dozen with some normal cars doing 55. There's a limit to how slow I'm going to drive to avoid having to overtake but this is disturbing my ten minutes of peaceful relaxation so can people speed up again please.

Motorists slowing down to save cash

The motoring organisation polled more than 15,000 members and found that 59 per cent of drivers are taking their foot off the accelerator pedal on motorways.

This was particularly true of women drivers with just under two-thirds admitting that they were driving more slowly, compared with 54 per cent of men.

A motorist driving at 80 mph will burn up 25 per cent more fuel than at the speed limit of 70 mph. Cutting back to 60 mph reduces consumption by another nine per cent.

With the average motorist paying £8.40 more to fill up a tank of unleaded than a year ago, 49 per cent of drivers polled said they were planning to adopt “eco-driving” techniques to save money.

This includes accelerating smoothly and also slowing down gradually as well as using air-conditioning sparingly.

Good thread as I was thinking of doing a poll along the lines of 'how have high prices effected you' ?

Do people drive slower, drive less, take the smaller car etc?

I was driving down the M3, admittedly it was mid-afternoon so outside of rush hour but I was astonished by how slow everyone was going! I cruised along at 65-70 and was over taking quite a few people, very few were flying past at 80-90. I also drive less, i've visited my local shopping centre more times since christmas than in the 3 previous years combined rather than driving to the big shopping centres 15-20 miles away.

My car is only doing 25mpg at the moment and add the cost of parking means a afternoon trip would have a minimum spend of £10.

Whilst i'm here, has anyone else noticed how many of the winter sales are still on?

I've noticed this esepecially over the last month. I have a ten mile stretch of quiet dual carriageway that I usually do at 60 / 62 (cruise control on) so I can relax before arriving at work, check my phone whatever. Last year that would usually mean one or zero overtakes needed for a tractor and suchlike, recently it's more like half a dozen with some normal cars doing 55. There's a limit to how slow I'm going to drive to avoid having to overtake but this is disturbing my ten minutes of peaceful relaxation so can people speed up again please.

Motorists slowing down to save cash

I noticed this last time fuel was £1.30 per ltr. I went and got myself a car that will do 70mpg and my new game is how far can I get on one tank. How sad is that for a 36 yr old man?

Meanwhile my 67 yr old step dad has had a late life crisis and bought himself a saab turbo. He took great delight in showing me how well it pulled on the local duel carriageway last weekend. Good for him.

I tried driving slower once, was well boring. I virtually always do 80-90 on the motorway if conditions allow. That said, I don't drive much, so cost of diesel doesn't impact me directly that much. if I drove lots then I might change to a more economical speed.

Good thread as I was thinking of doing a poll along the lines of 'how have high prices effected you' ?

Do people drive slower, drive less, take the smaller car etc?

We are planning to get rid of the car. I never drove (I hate cars) but the missus did because we had two toddlers. They're a bit older now so she got a fancy bike and we're going to try and ditch it in the spring. We may end up keeping it out of laziness, but we've already saved the money on petrol.

I've noticed the slowness more so this time around. you should make this into a poll and/or a challenge to fellow housepricecrashers. I now drive paying more attention to the fuel economy on the computer than I do the speedometer. I averaged 63.1mpg this week in our Golf 2.0TDi while the wife averaged 67mpg and we don't even pay for fuel. I'm not driving dangerously slow but enough in the past for other motorists to have raged past me now they just hold back or close in in my rear view mirror in which case I just pull over.

As I drive a Land Rover with a ludicrous V8, I know all about trimming the speed to gain very considerable economy. If I back off and do about 55 - 60, then I get 320 miles out of a tank. If I drive like a loon, then I get about 200. I am not obsessive about this, as there is nothing better than nailing a big V8 and hearing it yowl up the road while getting a big shove in your back.

If you're interested in driving economically, get a TomTom with HD traffic. It does three important things:

- it tells you if you going to get stuck in traffic down the road. There is no point in belting down the motorway only to sit in a jam. Ease off, and with a bit of luck the jam will be gone by the time you get there.

- it tells you when the next roundabout or junction is. There is no point in winding the car up to 70 if you're just going to have to scrub off all the speed in 200 yards

- It does some pretty accurate calculations of journey time. On a typical journey of about 100 miles, driving like **** nets you about 7 minutes. The sad reality is that you can't drive like an **** most of the time because there is someone in front of you.

Yes, I'm the same, well 80 mph on the motorway.

Didn't realise we don't drive as much now anyway, although if fuel does go to £1.50 a litre we'll still feel it.

I find I get disorientated if I don't drive at my usual speed - like 'where am I ? Have I passed the round house yet?' - worse than fog! biggrin.gif

You could always slow down and increase the amount of time you have for peaceful relaxation. At 62mph, 10 miles takes you 9 minutes and 41 seconds; at 55 it takes you 10 minutes and 55 seconds, so you'd gain an whole minute and fourteen seconds.

I reckon theres more than 1 factor in play.

1 - speedos reading considerably below 'real' as defined by a gps.

2 - People running out of points or being more concerned about related insurance costs

3 - More of the people that would normally speed not being allowed to anymore...

4 - Many of the folk who would normally be out speeding on the road no longer having the job that requires them to drive somewhere!

I have also noticed that.....using the gears correctly also helps, once you get to optimum speed say 50 to 60 drive in top gear....also check your tyre pressures not only will you save fuel, you will also save rubber. ;)

We are planning to get rid of the car. I never drove (I hate cars) but the missus did because we had two toddlers. They're a bit older now so she got a fancy bike and we're going to try and ditch it in the spring. We may end up keeping it out of laziness, but we've already saved the money on petrol.

Good for you.

Get rid of the car, and be prepared to use taxis or hire cars as and when you feel the need. If you're anything like me, you'll end up using them a whole lot less than you anticipated.

I reckon theres more than 1 factor in play.

1 - speedos reading considerably below 'real' as defined by a gps.

2 - People running out of points or being more concerned about related insurance costs

3 - More of the people that would normally speed not being allowed to anymore...

4 - Many of the folk who would normally be out speeding on the road no longer having the job that requires them to drive somewhere!

My car will be 20 years old this year. I have often thought my speedo isn't working properly - the cars in front appear to be doing 5 - 7 mph under the speed limit. But check it on my GPS and it's pretty much on the button. And not just on the Isle of Wight, too.

Could it be a conspiracy of the government and motor manufacturers to save fuel? [Tax rise to compensate the gov't for loss of revenue as less fuel used]cool.gif

It's fun trying to extract maximum mpg out the car - I need these entertainments to stop me getting bored going to work.

Figuring out the traffic light sequences. trying to minimise the wasted fuel etc, all good fun etc.

The only annoying thing is the prats behind who insist on driving 2 inches away from the bumper when if they bothered to look 50 yards ahead the lights are red. Then they aggressively overtake, only to have to stomp on the brakes in order to stop, only for the lights to change 2 seconds later.

Save fuel, save your brake pads and save the stress.

Oh yeah, save fluffy bunnies and polar bears too. While simulatneously annoying beamer drivers. It's all good.

My car will be 20 years old this year. I have often thought my speedo isn't working properly - the cars in front appear to be doing 5 - 7 mph under the speed limit.

If you ever build your own car you have to submit it for single vehicle approval (like an advanced MOT). Casting my mind back, the criteria for speedo accuracy was something like:

Tolerance under speed - 0%

Tolerance over speed - 10%

So basically as long as your speedo tells you you are going faster than you actually are, it doesn't have to be particularly accurate at all.

I imagine new car builders probably set them to be about 5% over just for simplicity.

As others have said, if in doubt trust your satnav. What's more accurate than an atomic clock...

I wish I could do a constant 65-70 to work, but much of the time it's a choice between 50 or 80 (unless you want to be aggressively tail-gated)

When I drive I have a GPS speedo and that is anything from a 2miles less than the speedo at say 30mph and at 75mph on the speedo I'm doing 70 on the GPS speedo. I use the GPS speedo becuase it logs how fast I was going so as and when I get accused of speeding next time I can use the data. Its a free app on the android OS.

Theres certainly a number of factors behind the speed drops like what you have mentioned as well.

Another reason for me to get a new phone. Is there also an app which just uses your camera to record where you are going, along with tracing your route and speed?

If you ever build your own car you have to submit it for single vehicle approval (like an advanced MOT). Casting my mind back, the criteria for speedo accuracy was something like:

Tolerance under speed - 0%

Tolerance over speed - 10%

So basically as long as your speedo tells you you are going faster than you actually are, it doesn't have to be particularly accurate at all.

I imagine new car builders probably set them to be about 5% over just for simplicity.

As others have said, if in doubt trust your satnav. What's more accurate than an atomic clock...

I do trust my satnav, but always delete the stored journey times, just in case one day I get done for speeding using it as evidence. Conspiracy freak, or what?huh.gif

I wish I could do a constant 65-70 to work, but much of the time it's a choice between 50 or 80 (unless you want to be aggressively tail-gated)

Another reason for me to get a new phone. Is there also an app which just uses your camera to record where you are going, along with tracing your route and speed?

My son seems to be able to do that on his iphone, so there must be an app.

I noticed this last time fuel was £1.30 per ltr. I went and got myself a car that will do 70mpg and my new game is how far can I get on one tank. How sad is that for a 36 yr old man?

Meanwhile my 67 yr old step dad has had a late life crisis and bought himself a saab turbo. He took great delight in showing me how well it pulled on the local duel carriageway last weekend. Good for him.

Funny, 'cos nobody want to buy mine - I am guessing this is a function of high fuel and insurance costs (the latter getting beyond ridiculous).

I have a Saab turbo. I get 45 mpg in cruise at 60 on the way to work. It does go mind when I'm feeling a little frisky :ph34r:

I dont really do speed limits tbh, keep below 90 on the motorways but pretty much drive as the road allows.

I have noticed traffic slowing since christmas but this means that on the roads that I use there is normally plenty of gaps to overtake. I had never considered before that people would be slowing down and choosing to spend more time stuck behind the wheel just to save a few pence.

Looks like higher pump prices may eventually lead to emptier roads if people are getting that tight - wohoo

You could always slow down and increase the amount of time you have for peaceful relaxation. At 62mph, 10 miles takes you 9 minutes and 41 seconds; at 55 it takes you 10 minutes and 55 seconds, so you'd gain an whole minute and fourteen seconds.

Agreed.

I used to race around shamelessly. Now I just cruise around. I mean, what's the rush anyway? I'd rather get there in one piece and the drive is a lot less demanding on me *and* the vehicle.

Actually I think having a wife in the car with me has slowed me down. When alone I didn't care too much what happened to me, but with someone else's life in your hands it's different.

I think you only notice more people driving slower when you start to drive slower yourself.

For myself, I find driving slower is a lot harder work mile per pile. For example, if you're toodling along the motorway at a constant 70mph there are 2 problems. Firstly the car toodling along at 70mph behind you who doesn't want to overtake and gets closer and closer to your rear bumper, until the point just before you need to pull out into the middle lane to overtake a HGV, then he/she decides to overtake you.....secondly there is the car who crawls past you at 72mph, then pulls in in front of you and slows to 67mph... it's enough to drive you doollally :blink: Cruising at 85-90 mph is a lot easier, just need to look out for the rozzers....

Cruising at 85-90 mph is a lot easier, just need to look out for the rozzers....

unless you are in wales or it is raining then most wont touch you below 90.

more fun is looking out for highways agency tossers and whipping past them.