House Price Crash Forum
cashinmattress

Rise In Youths Out Of Work And Education In England

Beeb (although not a very sporting article for state apparatus)

Rise in youths out of work and education in England

The proportion of 16-24-year-olds not in employment, education or training in England at the end of 2010 was up on previous years, official figures show.

A total of 938,000 - 15.6% of 16-24-year-olds - were in this category (Neet) in December 2010, the highest final-quarter figure since 2005.

The government said the number was "still too high". Last week the youth unemployment rate hit a new peak.

Critics called for more investment in education rather than cuts.

Among 18-24-year-olds, the proportion who were Neet had also risen to 18.1% at the end of last year, up from the previous year, according to the figures, released by the Department for Education.

This was despite the fact that the third-quarter figures had been down on the previous year. The proportion classed as Neet changes over the academic year.

The increase comes amid concerns that young people have been hit particularly hard by the recession, as rising numbers of graduates battle for jobs and fill vacancies traditionally taken by school and college leavers.

'Back of the queue'

The proportion of 16-18-year-olds not in education, employment and training, however, has reached its lowest level, 162,000 (8.5%) since 2005.

This follows a push in recent years to encourage more 16-year-olds to stay on in education.

Hence yet another why the housing bubble has burst, and will fall very hard, albeit in slow motion.

Too bad the Uni/Poly/College bubble has burst as well.

...the good news is almost 80% are not..... :rolleyes:

How many of the 80% are just not registered, in part time, short contract or dead end pre-career level jobs. All of those have been the general trend throughout the last decade or so.

What makes you sugges that "they" will be out stealing?

During Thatcher`s period in the mid 80s with 3 million unemployed theft and burglary went sky high. It was the time I started my business in property protection and where I should have failed as a startup business at the time I went on to great success. The advice I would give today is triple bolt your doors and when your property is vacant have a 20 foot Boa Constrictor on patrol. Seriously. ;)

...the good news is almost 80% are not..... :rolleyes:

No not really that good news to be honest . As many of those 80% will be in very low payed jobs with little prospects and job security . Many will be doing jobs part time after years at UNI with all the associated debt to got with it. Many will be doing jobs that their parents would have been forced into at 16 if they had failed at school . Many of the 80% will be in the 20% for long periods in their life time . Also if the govenment admit to there being 20% neets I would bet with their record on numbers the real figure is much higher.

Also if the govenment admit to there being 20% neets I would bet with their record on numbers the real figure is much higher.

In 2 years time it will go through the roof and the population in general of the country will not know or understand the true reason. Since 2004 they have well and truly been shafted and they can`t see it. :rolleyes:

I couldn't believe when the gov decided to scrap Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). I recall one politician interviewed stating that it was little more than beer money for some students.

and the problem is what exactly?!?

Afaic it's their reward for doing something constructive with their lives and in any case it's small beer anyway. No worse than some middle class family receiving family allowance benefit that they clearly don't need that simply gets spent on wine or cupcakes.

I maintain that this country (you and I) are fortunate that there's cheap McD's, XBox Live and Facebook keeping young people occupied or the they'd be out rioting in the streets!

Each week I receive a local police update about crimes in the area through my local freegle group.

Although it is not likely to be unemployed youths that are mostly responsible, but rather a combination of factors - unemployment up, inflation up, tightening up of benefits etc, over the past 2 months it appears that there has been an usually large increase in the number of house burglaries and thefts from garages and unattended vehicles. Also, lots of people reporting suspicious incidents - strangers knocking on doors late at night "looking for Ed" or some other excuse. Interesting times ahead???

I couldn't believe when the gov decided to scrap Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). I recall one politician interviewed stating that it was little more than beer money for some students.

and the problem is what exactly?!?

Afaic it's their reward for doing something constructive with their lives and in any case it's small beer anyway. No worse than some middle class family receiving family allowance benefit that they clearly don't need that simply gets spent on wine or cupcakes.

I maintain that this country (you and I) are fortunate that there's cheap McD's, XBox Live and Facebook keeping young people occupied or the they'd be out rioting in the streets!

This came up on Question time a few weeks back and the talk on the panel was that it was a zero cost benefit . There will be some that will carry on at colledge others that won't and will cost the state more money in other ways . The saving will be spent in other ways.

To me it is just another dig from this govenment against the average person, along with reduced child allowance for single earning households on £43k+ not a fortune in this day and age if you have a wife and two kids to support along with a mortgage.

Along with the NEW SOCIAL HOUSING TENNENTS paying 80% of the market rate . In London anyone able to pay 80% of the market rate will be earning to much to get social housing.

Bit by bit they seem to be taking from the average and below average person while the stinking rich are left alone.

what's the biggest incentive for the young to work?

Being able to buy or rent your own place. How the hell is a young person supposed to do that?

The young have given up, and i don't f**king blame them.

If house prices don't fall now, and very quickly, the United Kingdom is finished.

Being able to buy or rent your own place. How the hell is a young person supposed to do that?

If house prices don't fall now, and very quickly, the United Kingdom is finished.

I agree.

My niece is travelling the world and working as she goes, the nephew looking at moving to Ireland!

No not really that good news to be honest . As many of those 80% will be in very low payed jobs with little prospects and job security . Many will be doing jobs part time after years at UNI with all the associated debt to got with it. Many will be doing jobs that their parents would have been forced into at 16 if they had failed at school . Many of the 80% will be in the 20% for long periods in their life time . Also if the govenment admit to there being 20% neets I would bet with their record on numbers the real figure is much higher.

Most people are aware of several young graduates in silly jobs paying low wages. E.g. friend's cousin with law degree hands out flyers on the high street and shares a rented house in a dodgy part of nottingham with 3 other graduates in similar positions - one working part time at takeaway, another washes cars - can't remember what the third does. Student debt on hold due to lack of proper employment - which raises another issue...

Bang on but the problem is even worse than that .

The wages are so low and the costs of running a house so high that even if the house/flat was given free many young people would not be able to live in it.

Most people are aware of several young graduates in silly jobs paying low wages. E.g. friend's cousin with law degree hands out flyers on the high street and shares a rented house in a dodgy part of nottingham with 3 other graduates in similar positions - one working part time at takeaway, another washes cars - can't remember what the third does. Student debt on hold due to lack of proper employment - which raises another issue...

I know 3 brothers the youngest is about 25 the other two are late 20's .

They all have good degrees the two eldest work in the city good well paid jobs the youngest one sells his body.

Bang on but the problem is even worse than that .

The wages are so low and the costs of running a house so high that even if the house/flat was given free many young people would not be able to live in it.

Yeah, that really is true.

House prices must fall to where the young can afford them again. Its a fundamental truth. Delaying this happening by impoverishing the young just makes things worse.

It's a totally novel idea to say this, but the young actually need to be prioritized in the jobs market. If they aren't, the house price falls will be even bigger.

I agree.

My niece is travelling the world and working as she goes, the nephew looking at moving to Ireland!

Yeah, similar story from here.

I really don't blame them at all.

I can't stand the older generations that claim the young are layabouts etc. What kind of species deliberately "puts down" its own young?

Especially when coming from some baby boomers that still believe they're going to be paid a state pension by these young people. Totally short sighted.

Honestly I don't know why they place the cutoff at 24. Most people I know aged 21-early 30s are in and out of work and not making much progress in terms of establishing a secure adult life for themselves.

Yeah, similar story from here.

I really don't blame them at all.

I can't stand the older generations that claim the young are layabouts etc. What kind of species deliberately "puts down" its own young?

Especially when coming from some baby boomers that still believe they're going to be paid a state pension by these young people. Totally short sighted.

"Hypocrites" you mean...

Yeah, that really is true.

House prices must fall to where the young can afford them again. Its a fundamental truth. Delaying this happening by impoverishing the young just makes things worse.

It's a totally novel idea to say this, but the young actually need to be prioritized in the jobs market. If they aren't, the house price falls will be even bigger.

I have 4 nices all in their 20's all have a partner but none of them can go forward and set up home with their partners as in every couple out of the four one is either out of work, or in and out of work , or working part time , or between shit jobs , on low pay ect . Never have all 8 in those couples had decent paying secure jobs . Everything about their jobs apart form one niece and the partner of another is always insecure and short term.

Government schooling doesn't teach anyone how to be self-sufficient, only how to be consumers and 9-5 office drones.

Occupational licensing either hampers or outright makes illegal a lot of grass-roots entrepreneurship.

The small business-destroying practice of granting corporate giants like Tesco privileges such as tax abatements, zoning exemptions and development subsidies that are denied to smaller competitors.

An average employee pays over a third of their income to the government in direct taxation alone, not to mention the employer NI, which further acts as a tax wedge between employees and employers. Since labour isn't an immovable lump, employers have to offer higher rates than would otherwise be the case, top it off with the job-destroying minimum wage and you have little incentive to hire at the low end.

Of course, since young people (if you ignore parental handouts) have nothing to start with, they are usually forced to borrow at interest to start up an enterprise or afford occupational licensing costs.

Given all of the above, and the way the banking system has hoovered up so much money recently, I'm not surprised at the high unemployment rate.

Edited by HPC001

Government schooling doesn't teach anyone how to be self-sufficient, only how to be consumers and 9-5 office drones.

School shouldn't teach you self-sufficiency.

Parents should encourage it. But most of it has to come from within.

Being able to sit quietly and read. To enjoy hobbies that involve quiet, calm and care.

To do things that don't involve a computer, loud music or getting pissed.

The kids who need youth clubs to keep out of trouble are also going to be troublesome adults.

E.g. friend's cousin with law degree hands out flyers on the high street and shares a rented house in a dodgy part of nottingham with 3 other graduates in similar positions

What is the 'shelf life' of these degrees I wonder- at what point does their value to the owner begin to deteriorate as the time gap between graduating and the first proper job increases.

Look what is happening in Northern Ireland -

One in 13 pharmacies in Northern Ireland robbed or attacked last year

Chris Chapman

Exclusive: FOI figures show pharmacists faced 39 assaults, robberies and burglaries

Pharmacists in Northern Ireland were robbed, burgled and attacked with knives and bricks at least 39 times last year, C+D can exclusively reveal.

http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=259751&CMPI_SHARED_articleId=4595606&CMPI_SHARED_ImageArticleId=4595606&CMPI_SHARED_CommentArticleId=4595606&CMPI_SHARED_ToolsArticleId=4595606&CMPI_SHARED_articleIdRelated=4595606 FEB 2011