House Price Crash Forum
ralphmalph

The Next Bankster Scam

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/JPMorgan-raises-1bn-invest-tele-3140359065.html;_ylt=ArQ8XrZwbHYMii9S.B4x0ubSr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE4NHNia2Y3BHBvcwM5BHNlYwN5ZmlUb3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawNqcG1vcmdhbnJhaXM-?x=0

A fool and his money are easily parted.

This is next dot.com bust. A load of spotty teenagers chatting to each other on who they have shagged on a weekend and it is worth 50billion. FFS as Murdoch found out with myspace they are worthless. Anything with social in the name will never make any money, if they were capitalist networks then maybe.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/JPMorgan-raises-1bn-invest-tele-3140359065.html;_ylt=ArQ8XrZwbHYMii9S.B4x0ubSr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE4NHNia2Y3BHBvcwM5BHNlYwN5ZmlUb3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawNqcG1vcmdhbnJhaXM-?x=0

This is next dot.com bust. A load of spotty teenagers chatting to each other on who they have shagged on a weekend and it is worth 50billion. FFS as Murdoch found out with myspace they are worthless. Anything with social in the name will never make any money, if they were capitalist networks then maybe.

The power to arrange a revolution, or to spy on those who are forming one..is worthless?

Hmmmm *steeples fingers*

Says you.

Myspace is a poor example. It was an old idea badly executed when it was created, and got big through luck as far as i can see. Facebook on the other hand is as capitalist as anything you can imagine. QQ in China is also a Social Network that 'owns' a huge captive audience and (similar to the way Facebook is heading) insists that anything that people pay for is paid using their own currency.

Thats right - these companies get to print their own currency. Facebook has 10x more users than the UK has people and they get to print their own currency. How on earth will they ever manage to make money out of a load of spotty teenagers (Facebook average age 38) who spend increasing amounts of their time online and who will be paying for most of their entertainment using currency that they themselves 'print'.

No don't tell me - i think i can probably work it out myself ;)

The power to arrange a revolution, or to spy on those who are forming one..is worthless?

Hmmmm *steeples fingers*

It has a social worth but not a monetary one. But then you never believed in money before,

Says you.

Myspace is a poor example. It was an old idea badly executed when it was created, and got big through luck as far as i can see. Facebook on the other hand is as capitalist as anything you can imagine. QQ in China is also a Social Network that 'owns' a huge captive audience and (similar to the way Facebook is heading) insists that anything that people pay for is paid using their own currency.

Thats right - these companies get to print their own currency. Facebook has 10x more users than the UK has people and they get to print their own currency. How on earth will they ever manage to make money out of a load of spotty teenagers (Facebook average age 38) who spend increasing amounts of their time online and who will be paying for most of their entertainment using currency that they themselves 'print'.

No don't tell me - i think i can probably work it out myself ;)

Right buy facebook. But he dot com boom told us that there are 2% that will succeed i.e Amazon and google and the rest are chaff, waste of money. pets.com, webvan, etc, etc, etc.

What the banksters will do is use one successful social media company to flog lots of chaff social media companies, with lovely analyst reports, stock price tagets of gazillions and world domination for all.

IT IS A SCAM.

Here's an explanation of facebook's business model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-eak9Jz3_k

Step 1: collect members and their data;

Step 2: ?

Step 3: profit

Facebook and twitter are very socially significant, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole as far as investment goes.

When I hear people comparing facebook to google I just roll my eyes. The only similarity is that they ply their trade on the internet. Google makes real money, has loads of money-making products in the pipeline, and scares the hell out of any competitors when it move into a new market sector.

Facebook just collects people's data but is restricted by onerous data protection laws in every country where it could make decent money. The moment it starts charging, people will leave. The first dotcom bubble was built on the empty promise of advertising revenue (just look at how low budget the advertisers on facebook are), and the second is based on an excess of liquidity among banks.

Edited by WageslaveX14

It's all headed towards utterly free self-managed universal communication. The end result will be brilliant and along the way it will take the capital of investors into the dust as people jump on the technology and use the bits they want while throwing away the bits that were going to make others rich.

I'm not investing, I'll just hang back and reap the benefits.

Facebook just collects people's data but is restricted by onerous data protection laws in every country where it could make decent money. The moment it starts charging, people will leave. The first dotcom bubble was built on the empty promise of advertising revenue.

Sorry I have to disagree. I see first hand the kind of money that Facebook games alone are bringing in and Facebook is set to take a 30% cut of all that. Plus all the advertising these games do inside Facebook? Facebook take a 100% cut of that. Zynga alone reportedly spend $70m on Facebook advertising per annum at the mo.

Every brand I work with wants to be doing stuff in Facebook and Facebook are constantly amending things so that trying to promote things virally or naturally is nigh on impossible which leads the brands to dedicate money to advertising in Facebook. The data Facebook collects allows advertisers to promote their wares with accuracy that is unimaginable in traditional advertising and gives them insight into their audience and ad effectiveness that must make Nielson worried. Facebook stores are almost with us - at which point a brand can:

identify people who might be interested in their products (and pay facebook to advertise to them)

cultivate a network of these people and tell them about offers they know will interest them as a consensual update amongst the rest of their friends news

sell products to them (with Facebook taking a 30% cut as it will have to happen using Facebook credits)

Sorry I have to disagree. I see first hand the kind of money that Facebook games alone are bringing in and Facebook is set to take a 30% cut of all that. Plus all the advertising these games do inside Facebook? Facebook take a 100% cut of that. Zynga alone reportedly spend $70m on Facebook advertising per annum at the mo.

Every brand I work with wants to be doing stuff in Facebook and Facebook are constantly amending things so that trying to promote things virally or naturally is nigh on impossible which leads the brands to dedicate money to advertising in Facebook. The data Facebook collects allows advertisers to promote their wares with accuracy that is unimaginable in traditional advertising and gives them insight into their audience and ad effectiveness that must make Nielson worried. Facebook stores are almost with us - at which point a brand can:

identify people who might be interested in their products (and pay facebook to advertise to them)

cultivate a network of these people and tell them about offers they know will interest them as a consensual update amongst the rest of their friends news

sell products to them (with Facebook taking a 30% cut as it will have to happen using Facebook credits)

facebook has a sort of unknown potential at the moment. it has a massive audience, 500 million. of all the time spent on using mobile smart phones, half that time is now spent on facebook.

the average user on facebook, spends more time on it than google, youtube, yahoo, ebay, amazon....combined. so that is a big audience to advertise to.

the problem with facebook is that at the moment, unlike google, pay per click isnt working.

facebook began to develop it own analytics system in the hope of becoming like google, but they abandoned the project very quickly.

everyone suspects that the results, conversion rates, were so low, they didnt want to reveal it.

its more suited to soft advertising e.g mcadonalds, coke, than direct advertising. i.e people ready to buy, actively looking to buy. in that sense its chasing after the TV advertising market/ traditional advertising.

theres money to be made in advertsing but they havent quite cracked it yet.

Edited by mfp123

facebook began to develop it own analytics system in the hope of becoming like google, but they abandoned the project very quickly.

really? the insights are their version of analytics and whilst i often have cause to doubt their accuracy (when it wigs out its very obvious - on one page i run it currently shows we have 90k likes in one part of the insights sections and 45k on another) the data that they get on users is unlike anything else in the advertising world.

edit: drunk.

Edited by majestic whine

From what I see, Facebook is tuning into MySpace, with collections of farm animals and cutlery and all the other dross. The average user may be 38 years old, but I bet that the average age is plummeting fast.

the average user on facebook, spends more time on it than google, youtube, yahoo, ebay, amazon....combined. so that is a big audience to advertise to.

Yes, true, important, BUT it's all incidental advertising. People are on Facebook mostly to Facebook. There's a huge chunk of people that are on Google with their credit card in their hands where companies are competing to give more and more sales margins away. The differences are enormous. Facebook ads only work for certain types of companies and it's very poor in driving sales. Some industries are paying Google £20 per CLICK.

It's not even the same ballpark as anyone who has compared spending on Google advertising on their search results pages versus their advert network.

Advertising bikes to someone who says they like cycling VS advertising you've got the model number their searching for in stock ready for next day delivery.

Because of Microsoft's shares in Facebook I assume their plan is at some point to get Bing as a preferred search engine on Facebook for exit traffic. That's a long way off since it's no where near as good as Google but maybe.

This topic keeps coming up but Facebook's dominance will be challenged very quickly I guess from something like peer-to-peer-social-networks.

Edited by cica

Well that's one fund I won't be putting money in!

In the end there shall be only one, and maybe it's Facebook....

Says you.

Myspace is a poor example. It was an old idea badly executed when it was created, and got big through luck as far as i can see.

You mean Facebook is a new idea that succeeded through careful planning?

Facebook credits are nowhere near being a currency, and the only thing they can do after "printing them" is buy some pointless virtual rubbish. For now payments within FB are a lot less useful than PayPal, and that is worth nowhere near $50b unless the value of the rest of ebay is negative. The idea that FB can take a non-trivial cut of the existing entertainment industry revenue just for processing payments is laughable, so that leaves entertainment specific to FB. Maybe there is a huge market for "virtual farming with your friends" populated largely by people who want to pay a lot for the pleasure?

I don't think anyone even pretends that the valuation is in any way based on fundamentals. Now, if GS just a pick a number, do you think they might err on whatever side suits them?

Hmmmm *steeples fingers*

This. Combined with persona management software and/or tools similar to xrumer and you have the power to encourage or perhaps orchestrate revolutions via astroturfing.

Facebook ain't worth that much to me - it looks like classic pump and dump in the short term.

Facebook stores are almost with us - at which point a brand can:

I hear all the time how Facebook is such a brand marketeer's dream, etc, etc. Maybe if we extrapolate the last 20 years into the indefinite future, it is.

But what happens when Chinese inflation goes 1970s and the Western sheeple run out of money and credit? The bear market in neurotic consumer lifestyle tat that Facebook thrives on can't be far away. I think it will commence in earnest when HPC gathers steam.

I kinda agree, but as an investor "I'm out."

Also for the moment Google have a real rival, and I suspect their Adwords executives are probably starting to panic. They have had it too good for too long and Google is one of most arrogant corporations on the planet.

Also to describe Facebook as just spotty teenagers chatting, is completely missing the point. Its also a platform for running apps, only games at the moment, but that will change.

Sir John Steed is the only one on this thread who gets it.

Facebook are NOT an advertising company (although they will make some money from this).

Facebook, if executed correctly, will become the web OS for the cloud. If Microsoft were the technology leader of the PC era, then Facebook could well become the technology leader of the cloud era. And guess what, they also do identity management as well, which will allow them to replace companies like Royal Mail and BT......

Google have finally worked this out, and are $hitting themselves. Microsoft worked it out a while ago, and have been trying to buy them ever since.....

No one has mentioned the part social media has played in the recent Middle East unrest. The revolutions would have been impossible without the mass communication social media bypassing the state controlled media.

Surely people volunteering so much personal information so someone can commit identity fraud against them is worth something?

Isn't it like a branch manager taking the cash to a bank robber sat at home? Is Facebook a technological advance for crooks?