House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Threat To Firms Of 25% Female Board Quota

Link

British companies are facing the threat of compulsory female quotas if they fail to ensure a quarter of their board members are women by 2015.

The threat will be made by Lord Davies - the former trade minister appointed by Business Secretary Vince Cable to examine why many top firms have no female directors.

His conclusions will be unveiled today and are likely to infuriate many business leaders at a time when firms are struggling to survive.

Lord Davies is expected to tell companies that they are in the 'last chance saloon' when he demands that 20% of board members of the top 350 FTSE companies should be women by 2013.

The target will move up to 25% by 2015. His research found huge resistance to the idea of compulsory quotas, with just 11% of firms backing them.

One idea is that the targets will initially be voluntary but companies will be expected to have to explain to ministers why they haven't hit them.

City 'superwoman' Nicola Horlick yesterday heaped pressure on the government by coming out in favour of quotas.

Miss Horlick, who has started her own fund management firm and has brought up six children, said there was 'no choice' but to push companies to that position.

She said: 'Generally, I do not favour positive discrimination as I believe very strongly that people should be chosen on merit for any job.

'However, our public companies show no desire to be more inclusive of women and so I see no choice other than to push them in that direction.

'Having had four daughters, it really saddens me that there are still underlying prejudices against women.

'I am not a feminist and, as I say, I believe in meritocracy, but sometimes you have to create rules initially in order to give certain sections of society a chance.'

Lord Davies, a former boss at Standard Chartered, said recently: 'If companies don't take a radical change in attitude, and hire more women at the top, then we will have to introduce quotas.' He is expected to announce that shareholders and headhunters will be expected to abide by a new code of conduct to look for more women on their boards.

Chairmen will also be urged to be more 'adventurous' when appoint-ing non-executive directors. But many of the leading firms listed in London's stock exchange are based abroad and make no apologies for not having women at the top.

Women make up almost half of the workforce, but occupy just 12% of the FTSE 100 directorships.

A report from the Institute of Leadership and Management said nearly three-quarters of women say they still face barriers to toplevel promotion in the UK.

But researchers claimed that women were held back by lack of confidence and ambition, rather than lack of opportunity.

In Norway, the government's introduction of compulsory 40% quotas backfired. Before the new law, nearly half of board members had been women but after it was introduced, this fell back to less than 40%.

Most of the 'boards' I know of do not officially hold their meetings within UK territory as part of compliance with their incorporation charters, if they are smart that is.

It's just what every private company needs though, a state backed stooge forced into your upper echelon of management. Hmmm.

Nonsense article anyhow. Pure pants.

No one in meeja ever questions such utter b0ll0x as this:

City 'superwoman' Nicola Horlick yesterday heaped pressure on the government by coming out in favour of quotas.

Miss Horlick, who has started her own fund management firm and has brought up six children, said there was 'no choice' but to push companies to that position.

"Brought" up six children; yeah right: with the help of three nannies, a cook, gardener, coupla maids etc.

Expensive pre-school; fee paying primary and then off to prep schools as boarders, prior to boarding school; and then off to university, after finishing school.

Horlick may well help to "Bring up" her brats on the odd occasion in holiday periods: when she isn't working.

Just look at how well our companies filled with women managers and workers are doing against the evil male dominated German and Japanese industrial companies.

Sad thing is that Dave will have to find places for women in his cabinet which appears to be quite heavily male apart froma somewhat ineffective Home Secretary.

What a sadly immature and squalid little country this has become when quotas have to be used to please the PC brigade. If women want the top jobs--work for them. Start up a company and hire only women for the top jobs I am reasonably sure it will be able to freely compete with male led companies.

British companies are facing the threat of compulsory female quotas if they fail to ensure a quarter of their board members are women by 2015.

Paradox.

You must have 25% women, or we will make you have 25% women.

Link

Most of the 'boards' I know of do not officially hold their meetings within UK territory as part of compliance with their incorporation charters, if they are smart that is.

It's just what every private company needs though, a state backed stooge forced into your upper echelon of management. Hmmm.

Why 25% isnt that descrimination, well one way or the other :D

Sad thing is that Dave will have to find places for women in his cabinet which appears to be quite heavily male apart froma somewhat ineffective Home Secretary.

What a sadly immature and squalid little country this has become when quotas have to be used to please the PC brigade. If women want the top jobs--work for them. Start up a company and hire only women for the top jobs I am reasonably sure it will be able to freely compete with male led companies.

When that woman that was on (and quit in the last 4?) the S'rallan Sugar show said pretty much that (all be it in a tab more obtuse fashion) on Question Time, she got heavy booed by the Audience.

I am deeply concerned about the state of this country, it is becoming more and more like Idiocracy by the day.

As a female I think this sort of stuff stinks.

It doesn't make sense to have targets like this.

I don't know or care whether there's a glass ceiling - but women have the ovaries and until men can pop out little cherubs then the status quo will always be that women have to at least pause for half a day to drop sprog.

The worst manager I've ever EVER had was some hormonally challenged witch who finally had some blood tests to prove her mood swings were hormone related. Road rage level PMT every day all month.

The feminists you get on programmes like Womans' Hour banging on about the glass ceiling completely miss the point.

They talk about how having more women in top management would lead to a different way of doing business, like more co-operative and less autocratic. NO IT WOULDN'T.....the types of women who get top management jobs are those just like the men, hardened and ruthless. Hardened and ruthless goes with the territory these days.

During the period of my life when I was an employee rather than self-employed, I can safely say that I never had a good line manager - they were all bad - male or female. One difference I noticed though is that when the going gets tough, male managers resort to shouting and swearing, female managers get procedural and start talking about the disciplinary process - but they both amount to the same thing - intimidation.

Today’s press is full of a report from Lord Davies (for example here and here). He is concerned about the lack of women in the most elevated positions in society, with too many institutions being heavily male-dominated.

Lord Davies, a former boss at Standard Chartered, said recently: ‘If prisons don’t take a radical change in attitude, and intern more women, then we will have to introduce quotas.’ To the disappointment of feminists today’s report stopped short of calling for legal quotas, but where the imbalance is biggest he expects there to be 20% of women by 2013 and 25% by 2015. Our prisons need to improve the diversity of their populations, particularly by recruiting more women inmates.

“Radical change is needed in the mindset of the prison community if we are to implement the scale of change that is needed.”

Prison Federation chief executive Ruth Notaman said: “The news that prisons will not be forced to adopt female inmates to the cells by quota will be widely welcomed by nervous prisons.”

“However, a concerted effort still needs to be made to use female talent, otherwise prisons will be missing out on a vast array of talent at their disposal.”

As well as calling for greater female representation in our prisons, the Lord Davies report asked police and courts to sign up to a code of conduct to increase the number of women on candidate lists.

Today's press is full of a report from Lord Davies (for example here and here). He is concerned about the lack of women in the most elevated positions in society, with too many institutions being heavily male-dominated.

Lord Davies, a former boss at Standard Chartered, said recently: 'If prisons don't take a radical change in attitude, and intern more women, then we will have to introduce quotas.' To the disappointment of feminists today's report stopped short of calling for legal quotas, but where the imbalance is biggest he expects there to be 20% of women by 2013 and 25% by 2015. Our prisons need to improve the diversity of their populations, particularly by recruiting more women inmates.

"Radical change is needed in the mindset of the prison community if we are to implement the scale of change that is needed."

Prison Federation chief executive Ruth Notaman said: "The news that prisons will not be forced to adopt female inmates to the cells by quota will be widely welcomed by nervous prisons."

"However, a concerted effort still needs to be made to use female talent, otherwise prisons will be missing out on a vast array of talent at their disposal."

As well as calling for greater female representation in our prisons, the Lord Davies report asked police and courts to sign up to a code of conduct to increase the number of women on candidate lists.

Im sure the residents of a cell with 4 inmates at Chelmsford Prison are looking forward to receiving their quota.

I hoped we'd heard the last of this crap when Labour got the boot...

what next?

a homosexual on every board?

a minimum of 10% muslims on every building site?

I watched some whinning bitch from the Fawcett Society on Newsnight last night arguing for quotas - another 'charity' wasting good money.

Link

I believe the UK is trying to copy the Scandinavian model which appears to work well.

PS. Should any Company require my directorial services, I would be most willing to oblige. :D

The worst manager I've ever EVER had was some hormonally challenged witch who finally had some blood tests to prove her mood swings were hormone related. Road rage level PMT every day all month.

Wait a minute - haven't you always been self employed? :D

It's become the quota society.

They keep banging on about hard working this and hard working that but if you're on the quota half your problems are solved already.

Then that's a direct line to quota compo.

what a load of ********, if you want the job male or female, the work for it, what happens if there are no suitable females to be on the board, with the correct experience/qualifications etc.

let business do what they do, when the government gets involved at this level its going to fux it up royally

The feminists you get on programmes like Womans' Hour banging on about the glass ceiling completely miss the point.

They talk about how having more women in top management would lead to a different way of doing business, like more co-operative and less autocratic. NO IT WOULDN'T.....the types of women who get top management jobs are those just like the men, hardened and ruthless. Hardened and ruthless goes with the territory these days.

From personal experience of working in the US and the UK, I think you're wrong on this. I used to work for a large bank in the US which had a large number of women (40%, maybe) in senior management , with several women in the very top roles, and, oddly enough, it was one of the few banks to come through the credit crunch relatively unscathed. It's now the most valuable bank in the US. In comparison, there are very, very few women in senior roles in UK banking (and I'm comparing retail banking in the US to retail banking in the UK) with what women there are having been cherry-picked from somewhere else. Maybe it's just me, but the US bank I worked at had a very meritocratic approach to who got promoted, where business in the UK seems to be all about playing politics and being on the inside track. Where decision making is dominated by politics and tribalism, organizations make catastrophic mistakes.

Also, my partner works for a very prestigious professional services firm in London, and the level of sexual harassment that goes on there is just mind boggling. It's perfectly accepted that senior partners (often married, extremely unattractive men in their 50's) get promotions for junior women (pretty and in their early 20s) who they're sleeping with. Everyone knows about it, nothing is done to stop it. At the same time, men who have demanded to sleep with more junior women as a quid pro quo for the woman to keep her job, are actively promoted through the firm. Maybe I'm naive, but this behavior would never be tolerated at a reputable firm in the US. I've heard several female MPs on the radio discussing this issue, dismissing the level of bias against women in the UK, and I just think that they really have no idea of what goes on in business. This isn't a case of women not putting in the hours due to family pressure -- it's full-on blow me if you want to get promoted.

Wait a minute - haven't you always been self employed? :D

No I have done a couple of jobs. Not for very long and a LONG time ago.

But she is one of the reasons I don't ever want to work in an office again.

My Sister has her own company and refuses to hire women at all. Says they're lazy and difficult.

Well she would know as her husband does all the work.

Think we might see a few wives and girlfriends turning up on the board of some companies as a result of this. Its all doable if the company is large enough but SME might struggle.

What I find confusing is this : Here we are in the worst recession of a lifetime and all the politicians come up with is stuff to make business harder and more costly all the time. Every week there's a new scheme to hobble the country, what is going on?

As a female I think this sort of stuff stinks.

It doesn't make sense to have targets like this.

It makes perfect sense if you beliebe the problem is similar to that the American military faced before bringing in positive discrimination. If you have a group within society which is discriminated against, one of the best ways to counter this is to put members of that group into senior roles. In this case the logic would be that in 10 years time, people would see women making it to senior management as far more natural, because they can see it in action.

Note: I'm not sure this is the case here which is why I, unlike you, didn't feel the need to clutter the board with uninformed opinion.

I don't know or care whether there's a glass ceiling - but women have the ovaries and until men can pop out little cherubs then the status quo will always be that women have to at least pause for half a day to drop sprog.

Are you stupid enough to believe that, it is purely the issue of childbirth that has left women under-represented in senior management, or are you just attempting to be controversial? At least you owned up to your ignorance and apathy at the start of the sentence to save us the effort of working out whether we should take your opinion seriously.