House Price Crash Forum

Prepare For Change

tomandlu

HOLA441

I couldn't see this posted anywhere else - sorry if I missed it...

www.moneyweek.com/investments/prepare-for-change-things-arent-normal-any-more

Consider the housing bubbles. One of my striking memories of the pre-crisis period was being told by a TV presenter that the fact that house prices hadn't fallen made it clear they never would. The more they rose, the more she assumed they would rise – even in the face of chart after chart showing the house price to income ratio hitting impossible heights. She still thinks that the falls of recent years are a "blip".

Then look at what's going on today. I've written here about China before, but the bias is happily at work here: there's plenty of evidence to suggest a massive credit bubble is ready to blow. But still the consensus is that the Chinese government will somehow manage to make it OK – "they always have so far", one fund manager told me this week. Sound familiar?

Basically war and/or a crash in the price of commodities*...

* which are only so bubbly 'cos no one can think of anything else to invest in...

HOLA442

* which are only so bubbly 'cos no one can think of anything else to invest in...

Good Article. And I agree with the grandmother....

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
One of my striking memories of the pre-crisis period was being told by a TV presenter that the fact that house prices hadn't fallen made it clear they never would. The more they rose, the more she assumed they would rise – even in the face of chart after chart showing the house price to income ratio hitting impossible heights. She still thinks that the falls of recent years are a "blip".

Now who do you suppose that is... :rolleyes:

cutlery_fork_knife_spoon_hat-p148034776930248173qws4_152.jpg

HOLA446

I remember a few years ago (probably 2004), a work colleague in Ireland telling me that year on year house prices in Dublin had never fallen. The infrerence being that therefore there was no possibility that they ever would.

HOLA447
HOLA448

To see how breathtakingly arrogant that kind of thinking sounds (it prevailed in the media for a decade) try it with a dash of editing:

One of my striking memories of the pre-crisis period was being told by a TV presenter that the fact that house prices hadn't fallen risen made it clear they never would.

Warning : The value of your investments may fall as well as fall.

HOLA449

There's certainly change in the air.

On R5 this morning I heard a presenter suggesting a 20% fall in house prices and another guest talking about a falling market going on for years.

There's a welcome new attitude emerging out there in the media.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

On R5 this morning I heard a presenter suggesting a 20% fall in house prices and another guest talking about a falling market going on for years.

Getting people ready for that rate rise?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

[undoing flies]

You don't happen to have an iPlayer link and a time code for that, do you juvenal?

HOLA4415

[undoing flies]

You don't happen to have an iPlayer link and a time code for that, do you juvenal?

I heard Nicky Campbell mention 20% a little before 9. It was in the piece on RBS losses, and mentioning that falling prices is one of the risks for RBS. That was when NC chimed in with 20%.

Shall I say 20% for you again?

It's only 2.50 a minute on my HPC line. Call Now. No waiting like on that Gold Line.

HOLA4416

[undoing flies]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yqs93/5_live_Breakfast_24_02_2011/

2 hours 51.40 minutes or so in. "Twenty percent is the figure I heard.."

Just a two line exchange between Nicky Campbell and an expert.

Edited by juvenal