House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonkers

Hospital Food

Watched both these shows and I am really shocked by the slop being served up to patients, it's a disgrace.

Worse still was the attitude of the hospitals, making decent food for the staff but utter bilge for the patients.

My friend's mother is going into hospital and there is no way I would have her eat that rubbish, almost had in me in tears thinking about it.

Watched both these shows and I am really shocked by the slop being served up to patients, it's a disgrace.

Worse still was the attitude of the hospitals, making decent food for the staff but utter bilge for the patients.

My friend's mother is going into hospital and there is no way I would have her eat that rubbish, almost had in me in tears thinking about it.

Last time I was in the quality wasn't bad, certainly not as bad as the muck they were showing last night. I think because it's a childrens' hospital, they think they can feed them all the carp aimed at kids.

That said, be prepared to take meals and snacks in. I was in for three days, and I reckoned if it hadn't been for the ward toaster I'd have starved. Meal times are strict, and between badly timed visits from clinicians, and nil-by-mouth for an every changing surgery slot, I missed loads of meals.

My wife's been in various hospitals on too numerous occaisions but never had slop like they showed.

I turned off after just a few minutes, the whole thing felt a bit pre-meditated to me like the worst kind of gutter journalism. I noticed also that none of the food looked hot so maybe he left it to go extra manky for effect.

The hospital food I have seen has not always been the greatest...and I must admit I'd suspect it is only technically "healthy."

Given that nutrition is so important for getting people better, one would think that the cost-benefits of good food would outweigh the bad.

The very basics seem to get missed in hospitals from what I have seen. As a case in point, my very small and frail grandmother lost 3kg over 2 weeks in hospital early last year, which took her from 42kg to 39kg. The food provided was basically unsuitable, and if we weren't there, there was no one to ensure that she ate so meals were missed. The real damage done was that most of the weight seemed to come off her leg muscles (they didn't exercise her like we did either) so she came home unable to walk, and hasn't regained the muscle. In summary, she walked into hospital so they could fiddle with her meds (which they didn't end up doing) and left a cripple simply for lack of decent food and exercise.

We had an 80 year old relative in last year. We had to takefood in most days that the staff would then microwave for him as there was just nothing on the menu he could even fancy and simple things for tea llike sandwiches were all dried up and rubbery.

What was on menu wad all spicy and garnished up and he is on a strict diet of nothing spicy or hot and cannot eat curry chilli or things with garlic etc in it. Even a roast dinner was pvercooked and pretty inedible. Whatever he selected he rarely got. So we gave up and took food in - that wag we knew he could at least eat it.

I thought the first shows solution was a gimmick that should only be for Halloween. Secondly, the food he made was very labour intensive (injecting worms...) that I can't see how it is cost effective. Bring back Jamie I say...

The submarine one will be a laugh...

Well my friends mum will be getting food bought in. It does feel like the basics are being left to rot in many cases.

Another thing that confuses me is why the attempt at three course meals? Who ever does that regularly at home? I understand puddings for weight gain and comfort value, but surely the main effort should be on one fresh, simple, healthy and tasty main meal? It isn't that difficult.

My grammer school dinners in the early eighties weren't great but they were healthy meat and veg affairs. Then we got changed over to being a comprehensive and a new style canteen, it was spam fritters, chips and pizza. It was healthier to go to the local chippy. A kebab shop would have been a blessing.

I didn't get Heston and his worms either :(

Didn't really see the point of the programme. Is there anyone in the UK unaware that hospital food is muck and doesn't know the reasons why?

An easy, short-sighted way to cut costs that will end up costing more in the long term - the way everything works now.