House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

$110 Per Barrel

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Brent-climbs-110-Libya-unrest-reuters_molt-1409628496.html?x=0

Zaida Espana, 15:13, Wednesday 23 February 2011
LONDON (
Reuters
) - Brent crude futures climbed above $110 a barrel on Wednesday as turmoil in Libya fuelled fears that unrest could spread to other oil-producing nations and choke supplies.

Nothing like oil price shock to bring the economy down hard and fast. We don't need IR to kill the economy, oil will do it for us.

Hope everyone loaded up on oil shares before all this shinola hit the fan? They are going to make out like bandits--at least they won't be jealous of those other bandits the banksters no mo.'

I bought a £ dominated ETF, it's up a bit but sensitive to currency changes. I remember nadeem wayalat advised to buy a year or 2 ago when it was $40, he has really made some great calls.

Hope everyone loaded up on oil shares before all this shinola hit the fan?

How do you expect us to have done that, if you can't show the post where you said not to?

How do you expect us to have done that, if you can't show the post where you said not to?

You mean you didn't expect oil to spike? How could you have not expected that to have happened?? :blink: *

* :lol:

I bought a £ dominated ETF, it's up a bit but sensitive to currency changes. I remember nadeem wayalat advised to buy a year or 2 ago when it was $40, he has really made some great calls.

It's not LOIL is it?

You mean you didn't expect oil to spike? How could you have not expected that to have happened??

Perhaps they were too busy selling their gold and silver?

Have metals all peaked? IMO, yes they have.

That might have been the EXACT top--arond $1404??

(Gold is now $1412)

That may prove to be the market top for Ag.

Silver recent hit $34, a 30 year high.

What's the matter RB, keeping all the good tips to yourself?

In the past interest rates have had a reasonable correlation with oil prices and even upto the crash when oil prices had been increasing along with interest rates. After the crash oil prices collapsed as did interest rates. If oil prices are on an upwards trend again it would be unusual for interest rates not to follow - but it's difficult to account for what the Mervyn King will do to reinforce the lack of credibility of the BoE.

If oil is headed strongly up again what the BoE do on interest rates is likely to be peripheral to the performance of the UK economy. 2011 really does look like it's going to be a not nice year.

Edited by billybong

Perhaps they were too busy selling their gold and silver?

(Gold is now $1412)

Silver recent hit $34, a 30 year high.

What's the matter RB, keeping all the good tips to yourself?

You must have missed the oil stock opportunity yes?

How about bonds last year? Missed that one too?

I bet yiou even missed last years tip on the Euro bust and sterling collapse? I am sure you did.

Too busy buying the yellow metal? You know you were -- come on admit it--another gold bug? The "only" investment out there right?

You Shouda bought into FSENX before it took off. But don't hold too long as nothing lasts and remember gold peaked in 1980 and has never recovered IA.

In the past interest rates have had a reasonable correlation with oil prices and even upto the crash when oil prices had been increasing along with interest rates. After the crash oil prices collapsed as did interest rates. If oil prices are on an upwards trend again it would be unusual for interest rates not to follow - but it's difficult to account for what the Mervyn King will do to reinforce the lack of credibility of the BoE.

If oil is headed strongly up again what the BoE do on interest rates is likely to be peripheral to the performance of the UK economy. 2011 really does look like it's going to be a not nice year.

Not sue but if interest rates go up will this make the pound stronger if so it would be cheaper to import?

Not sue but if interest rates go up will this make the pound stronger if so it would be cheaper to import?

I believe so. I'm not an economist, though. A reason for the correlation might be that high oil prices mean more inflation and in the past the interest rate setters would combat inflation by raising interest rates. I don't know if the present lot would do that though, as they don't seem to mind inflation so much. :blink:

I believe so. I'm not an economist, though. A reason for the correlation might be that high oil prices mean more inflation and in the past the interest rate setters would combat inflation by raising interest rates. I don't know if the present lot would do that though, as they don't seem to mind inflation so much. :blink:

I was thinking it might be cheaper to buy oil if the pound was stronger as it is traded in dollars but i am the same im not an economist either.

I was thinking it might be cheaper to buy oil if the pound was stronger as it is traded in dollars but i am the same im not an economist either.

The stronger the pound the cheaper imports such as oil cost.

The stronger the pound the cheaper imports such as oil cost.

got notified today that as from 10th March our steel, wood and plastic products are to retail 10% higher....old stocks ok, but new containers are costing 10-15% more.

Well done Bernanke.

got notified today that as from 10th March our steel, wood and plastic products are to retail 10% higher....old stocks ok, but new containers are costing 10-15% more.

Well done Bernanke.

Prices of imported rubber to the tyre industry have increased twice twice this year already amounting to about 20%. On top of several increases last year. We are forced to pass these on to customers who are already struggling.

Nothing like oil price shock to bring the economy down hard and fast. We don't need IR to kill the economy, oil will do it for us.

Hope everyone loaded up on oil shares before all this shinola hit the fan? They are going to make out like bandits--at least they won't be jealous of those other bandits the banksters no mo.'

You are 100% correct about the an oil price shock to hit the economy hard. The $147 peak back in 2008 gets overlooked on how badly it brought down the economy.

As for shares in the oil companies, as they always do, the governments will be heavily taxing the oil companies when they are raking in huge profits.

Prices of imported rubber to the tyre industry have increased twice twice this year already amounting to about 20%. On top of several increases last year. We are forced to pass these on to customers who are already struggling.

I have heard that it takes 7 gallons of oil to make a tyre. So, expect tyres to get very expensive.

You must have missed the oil stock opportunity yes?

How about bonds last year? Missed that one too?

I bet yiou even missed last years tip on the Euro bust and sterling collapse? I am sure you did.

Too busy buying the yellow metal? You know you were -- come on admit it--another gold bug? The "only" investment out there right?

You Shouda bought into FSENX before it took off. But don't hold too long as nothing lasts and remember gold peaked in 1980 and has never recovered IA.

Yeah its a right pi**er.

Crude WTI 2008 $147 now $100

Gold 2008 $1,000 now $1,400

gold_div_crude.gif

Gold/Oil ratio still within its trading range, a remarkable spike from under 7 to over 22. Oil is on the cheap side at the moment compared to gold.

Bugger wish I could find the link about oil hitting something like $90-$100 a barrel triggering a global recession, I'm sure I've listed it somewhere on the CAG thread I've got but I just can't find the bloody thing.

Oil is going to cause a major economic shock, Bernanke is going to have a lot to answer for.