House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

punter

Self-Service In Supermarkets To Eliminate More Jobs?

I see my local supermarket has now installed these ugly Airport style contraptions offering "self-service" where you scan and pay for the products yourself.

Call me old fashioned but i refuse to use them but there were queues of sheeple who couldn't get enough of them being herded like cattle by an 'assistant' running round helping them through the process.

This is another example of where the minimum wage and employment legislation will eliminate more low skilled jobs, in this case check out jobs.

Just like when i was a kid there was a bloke who used to come and fill up the car at the petrol station or when I went to the cinema someone wish a torch would usher you to your seat, now checkout jobs in supermarkets will go the same way.

Soon we will all be zombies in self service supermarkets, all they need to do now is install giant robotic arms to restock the shelves.

It's time to end the madness of the Minimum wage and repeal employment legislation so we can once again give the low skilled work force the jobs they need rather than have them sat at home

I see my local supermarket has now installed these ugly Airport style contraptions offering "self-service" where you scan and pay for the products yourself.

Call me old fashioned but i refuse to use them but there were queues of sheeple who couldn't get enough of them being herded like cattle by an 'assistant' running round helping them through the process.

This is another example of where the minimum wage and employment legislation will eliminate more low skilled jobs, in this case check out jobs.

Just like when i was a kid there was a bloke who used to come and fill up the car at the petrol station or when I went to the cinema someone wish a torch would usher you to your seat, now checkout jobs in supermarkets will go the same way.

Soon we will all be zombies in self service supermarkets, all they need to do now is install giant robotic arms to restock the shelves.

It's time to end the madness of the Minimum wage and repeal employment legislation so we can once again give the low skilled work force the jobs they need rather than have them sat at home

All we need now is for the robots to do the shopping too. :)

They can all queue up, look for bargains on the 'reduced' shelf, fight over the last half-price bottle of champagne and partake in product sampling as they cruise the aisles.

It's to get you off using cash. *NWO* etc

And those jobs are never coming back now. Ever.

That's right we need to destroy automation and go back to the 18thcentury. Back to the fields my friends.

Or alternatively we could ensure that the benefits of automation are applied to all, and not just the land/capital owners.

But then again, that's not going to happen is it. So how about we just pay them to do nothing.

those jobs will come back if it was economical for employers to bring them back. The minimum wage and employment legislation, employer NI etc. has eliminated them as businesses will just prefer automation or reduced staffing levels.

This technology is fundamentally flawed and will never replace checkout staff in its current form. Barcodes that refuse to scan, 'unexpected item on the bagging area', the need to be authorised if you're trying to buy booze and several other factors that will cause these machines to freeze and/or crash mean that you virtually have to have an individual staff members supervising each one anyway. At my local Sainsbury corner-shop convenience store people simply refuse to use them - go there on a typical weekday evening and you'll see a long queue for the humans and no-one going near the three self-checkout terminals.

I'd guess that the only way you could do a foolproof self-serve checkout system would be to attach RFID chips to every item. The checkout would consist of a sort of enclosed area, a bit like an airport x-ray scanner, into which you would push your trolley and then insert your credit card. Even then you would have to ban people from buying loose items that are sold by weight in these things, and there would still be the the authorisation issue if you're trying to buy alcohol.

those jobs will come back if it was economical for employers to bring them back. The minimum wage and employment legislation, employer NI etc. has eliminated them as businesses will just prefer automation or reduced staffing levels.

Yeah but now the capital investment has been made, people will have to be chaper than the electric that runs the machines.

Not very likely, though if the ME continues possibly for periods.

That's right we need to destroy automation and go back to the 18thcentury. Back to the fields my friends.

Or alternatively we could ensure that the benefits of automation are applied to all, and not just the land/capital owners.

But then again, that's not going to happen is it. So how about we just pay them to do nothing.

some people like to be serviced, I think a lot of people would prefer the human being to automation. I do for one which is why i dont use the self service but those people are on the dole because it's not economical to employ them. i'd quite like the usher with the torch to show me to my seat, or to not get out the car etc. im sure many people would but employers wont bother with the high cost of employment hence why we have so many unemployed

we must repeal the minimum wage and soon. it has destroyed a lot of jobs in the last 13 years

This technology is fundamentally flawed and will never replace checkout staff in its current form. Barcodes that refuse to scan, 'unexpected item on the bagging area', the need to be authorised if you're trying to buy booze and several other factors that will cause these machines to freeze and/or crash mean that you virtually have to have an individual staff members supervising each one anyway. At my local Sainsbury corner-shop convenience store people simply refuse to use them - go there on a typical weekday evening and you'll see a long queue for the humans and no-one going near the three self-checkout terminals.

I'd guess that the only way you could do a foolproof self-serve checkout system would be to attach RFID chips to every item. The checkout would consist of a sort of enclosed area, a bit like an airport x-ray scanner, into which you would push your trolley and then insert your credit card. Even then you would have to ban people from buying loose items that are sold by weight in these things, and there would still be the the authorisation issue if you're trying to buy alcohol.

not if you also had a RFID chip in your head...

some people like to be serviced, I think a lot of people would prefer the human being to automation. I do for one which is why i dont use the self service but those people are on the dole because it's not economical to employ them. i'd quite like the usher with the torch to show me to my seat, or to not get out the car etc. im sure many people would but employers wont bother with the high cost of employment hence why we have so many unemployed

we must repeal the minimum wage and soon. it has destroyed a lot of jobs in the last 13 years

Self service in its current form doesn't work well, but sooner or later someone will come up with something that does.

He's correct, these jobs are never coming back.

The problem is, that people think they should.

The ideology of full time employment for all needs drowning in a bathtub.

Yeah but now the capital investment has been made, people will have to be chaper than the electric that runs the machines.

Not very likely, though if the ME continues possibly for periods.

you might be right that the capital investment has been made, the motivating factor of which is the minimum wage and high cost of employment due to all the legislation and employer NI which incidentally is the main driver behind the massive growth in part time or pro-rata jobs and the elimination of permanent positions.

Government is a walking disaster and the UK gov continues to destroy the economy through its stupid legislation which is sold to the sheeple as some form of perverted progress.

But if we can eliminate the minimum wage and repeal costly legislation and taxes we can stop the damage further i.e the part time thing is relatively new but elimination of more low skilled jobs and growth of more part time positions can be stopped in the future but only if the gov acts, which it won't because politicians are a bunch of spineless, idiotic lunatics who only care about re-election and the growth of their personal fortune

Self service in its current form doesn't work well, but sooner or later someone will come up with something that does.

He's correct, these jobs are never coming back.

The problem is, that people think they should.

The ideology of full time employment for all needs drowning in a bathtub.

Like I say, we can stop more damage being done so the "give up, those jobs aren't coming back" mantra is not really constructive is it?

Like I say, we can stop more damage being done so the "give up, those jobs aren't coming back" mantra is not really constructive is it?

Sure it is.

First you identify reality, then you can work to change it.

The state isn't going to stop interfering, it'll thrash around randomly doing stupid shit as it dies on it's ****. The jobs aren't coming back.

Time to find new ways to skill folks.

Just make sure you steal the equivilant in costs the company saves by making a worker redundant. I reckon a supermarket worker costs about £12 an hour all in so the 2 minutes that would have been spent helping me should be about the same as the difference between weighing your apples as apples or weighing them as potatoes :)

What actually needs to change is the attitude to work.

4 day week to become the new standard in our lifetimes - 20% unemployment to be replaced by full employment over 20% less days.

More time for leisure, more time with friends and families, lower asset prices. Win, win, win.

Why do you want a human to do something a machine can do?

And at what point in the industrial revolution did automation start to be damaging?

Sure it is.

First you identify reality, then you can work to change it.

The state isn't going to stop interfering, it'll thrash around randomly doing stupid shit as it dies on it's ****. The jobs aren't coming back.

Time to find new ways to skill folks.

But then how long until there is a motivation for employers to automate further or outsource more? Even professional jobs are being outsourced and there are leaflets offering private medical and dental treatment in various European destinations for a fraction of the cost

So even highly skilled jobs are not immune to being eliminated by the high costs of regulation and taxes

But then how long until there is a motivation for employers to automate further or outsource more? Even professional jobs are being outsourced and there are leaflets offering private medical and dental treatment in various European destinations for a fraction of the cost

So even highly skilled jobs are not immune to being eliminated by the high costs of regulation and taxes

Of course they aren't, in fact it's inevitable.

Cheer up though, as I jokingly refered to earlier on another thread, sooner or later someone is going to make a managerathon 3000 and then they are just as firable as anyone else.

It's all about killing the remaining humanity in us.

I also refuse to use self-service checkouts. But mostly because I'm rarely visiting supermarkets. They make me feel depressed. Have you noticed how supermarkets are full of people but no one talks to each other? And even if you open your mouth to someone to make a casual remark they think you're a freak... :unsure:

If you go to a local farmers' market the situation is so much different. People talk to each other. And you can speak to the stall owner and ask about the produce they're selling. OK, you can't buy everything there, but you'll leave with a big smile on your face and a big portion of faith in humanity.

And at what point in the industrial revolution did automation start to be damaging?

Some people prefer to be serviced by a human than a faceless machine.

The jobs im talking about were still around 15-20 years ago, i'm not talking about the industrial revolution which brought many practical benefits in mass production (which is mainly done elsewhere now!)

what are we going to have left as a country, ask yourself that.

we need to get back to making things, we need to get back to offering low skilled workers opportunities for employment and that means repealing min. wage, taxes and regulations. The sooner we come to our senses the better. Your attitude appears to be "give up", no I won't give up because i'm watching the UK gov systematically destroying the economy and it's sad to see.

It can be reversed if the politicians had the balls to do it, which they don't. only will a total collapse force them to act, which of course is just a bit further down the road since HMG cannot make good on its various promises and entitlements

Some people prefer interacting with humans? I know I prefer to have a real conversation while trying to order something over the phone, instead of shouting words into a voice recognition software.

The self service machines accept cash, some even give you 'cash back'.

I am a great fan of them, far quicker than being served by a human and they even give you a cheery thank you as you are leaving. They are great, despite what the Luddites on here claim.

The self service machines accept cash, some even give you 'cash back'.

I am a great fan of them, far quicker than being served by a human and they even give you a cheery thank you as you are leaving. They are great, despite what the Luddites on here claim.

How do I know this post was written by a human being?

Maybe it was generated by one of those cheerful machines??? :lol:

i'm not being a luddite btw, im making a wider point about the motivation behind them. If you think the supermarkets are doing it for your convenience and benefit rather than their bottom line then you're being rather naive

How do I know this post was written by a human being?

Maybe it was generated by one of those cheerful machines??? :lol:

Unexpected question in reply area

i'm not being a luddite btw, im making a wider point about the motivation behind them. If you think the supermarkets are doing it for your convenience and benefit rather than their bottom line then you're being rather naive

They are doing it to save money but I prefer them. Once you get used to their foibles you can breeze through with your shopping in half the time.