House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Sando

The Mountain Will Not Come To The Muhammad, The Revolution Will Come To Saudi Arabia On March 20

If The Mountain Will Not Come To The Muhammad, The Revolution Will Come To Saudi Arabia On March 20

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 02/23/2011 09:56 -0500

CrudeSaudi ArabiaTransparency

With the facebook revolutions having claimed virtually every other country in the region, the time may be coming for that most important one of all. And if Facebook is to be relied on for its revolutionary calendar, a job it has so far done without reproach, the revolutionary wave will come to Saudi Arabia on March 20.That will also the day crude passes $200.

Also, instead of just announcing their rallying call, future protestors have listed their 12 demands:

1 – a constitutional monarchy between the king and government.

2 – a written constitution approved by the people in which governing powers will be determined.

3 – transparency, accountability in fighting corruption

4 – the Government in the service of the people

5 – legislative elections.

6 – public freedoms and respect for human rights

7 – allowing civil society institutions

8 – full citizenship and the abolition of all forms of discrimination.

9 – Adoption of the rights of women and non-discrimination against them.

10 – an independent and fair judiciary.

11 – impartial development and equitable distribution of wealth.

12 – to seriously address the problem of unemployment

Since none of these have a chance of going through in an absolute monarchy, things are about to get really hot.

Lindsey Williams may be right $200 oil here we come, and where will gold/silver and fuel be, what about the stock market?

I am taking this seriously are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtRQdw5c804&feature=player_embedded

Lindsey Williams may be right $200 oil here we come, and where will gold/silver and fuel be, what about the stock market?

I am taking this seriously are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtRQdw5c804&feature=player_embedded

There has been very little protest in Saudi Arabia so far;

A small protest in Qatif by Shias demanding equality

A protest in Jeddah over govt inaction in regard to flood protection works

A small group of academics getting arrested for forming a group demanding constitutional monarchy.

Otherwise Saudi society is predominated by the usual concerns mosque, food, work avoidance, football, getting pissed in Bahrain and sodomising the Yemeni maid ;)

There has been very little protest in Saudi Arabia so far;

A small protest in Qatif by Shias demanding equality

A protest in Jeddah over govt inaction in regard to flood protection works

A small group of academics getting arrested for forming a group demanding constitutional monarchy.

Otherwise Saudi society is predominated by the usual concerns mosque, food, work avoidance, football, getting pissed in Bahrain and sodomising the Yemeni maid ;)

But don't let reality get in the way of the latest hysterical Zerohegde headline :rolleyes:

Its funny but I have been replying to all those anti-American posts about how the West have been exploiting the Arabs etc etc and here we are seeing the precise point I was making back then. These revolutions are justice for the common people in those lands who have NOT been exploited by the west but by their own rulers. The sheiks, Mullahs and "princes" have been taking billions from the West and instead of benefiting the poor Palestinians and the poor of all of the other Arab peoples, they have been building palaces in the sand and buying Bentley Turbo's for their teenage sons.

The only downside to the revolutions will be if they are hijacked by the Fascists (Armourdinnerjacket etc.). Lets hope they get their real democracy and freedom in place.

Will they? Probably not.

Its funny but I have been replying to all those anti-American posts about how the West have been exploiting the Arabs etc etc and here we are seeing the precise point I was making back then. These revolutions are justice for the common people in those lands who have NOT been exploited by the west but by their own rulers. The sheiks, Mullahs and "princes" have been taking billions from the West and instead of benefiting the poor Palestinians and the poor of all of the other Arab peoples, they have been building palaces in the sand and buying Bentley Turbo's for their teenage sons.

The only downside to the revolutions will be if they are hijacked by the Fascists (Armourdinnerjacket etc.). Lets hope they get their real democracy and freedom in place.

Will they? Probably not.

I am not convinced your average arab understands the concept of democracy. in the way we do. I suspect the most stable approach is a graduated moved to a constitutional monarchy. So no different than the way the UK did it starting with Charles II

It's a start though Kurt isn't it! ;)

Although apparently the rulers in the Kingdom are more er respected there than in other areas of the ME. <_<

If one goes by the number of pictures by peoples desks of the King then yes. The King seems to be revered, certainly amongst the Saudis I work with. However to be fair they are somewhat pampered middle class saudis.

Also there is recognition that Abdullah has been more in tune with change wanted by the people than his predecessors.

It's a start though Kurt isn't it! ;)

Although apparently the rulers in the Kingdom are more er respected there than in other areas of the ME. <_<

On the plus side. We are getting an unexpected 3 day weekend. Funded by the rise in the oil price on all accounts ;)

Saudi could really provide the scene for something spectacular.

The rulers there are all about the same age as our Queen - very out of touch and with a complicated heirarchy that has left open the succession issue. Lots of young people there as well to google the leaders' twitters, without them even knowing about it.

Backing up what RB has said, I find it amazing that the most vocal about the Palestinians' situation are the Arabs in neighbouring countries. And where does most of the aid money for the Palestinians come from - the Western countries. Classic case of not putting their money where their mouth is. The West has funded all sides in the War on Terror.

KB - I think many people around the world would place the ability to provide for their families above political freedoms. Once a generation or two has been accustomed to that wealth, then they start to think about issues such as freedom of expression. Should the source of their wealth start to appear in doubt, that's when people push for democracy - to get rid of the government that has failed to deliver economic stability and threaten a return to the lower standards of living. Places like Saudi are close to that point when food on the table is taken for granted and people start to consider other improvements to their quality of life. Contrast that with places like Russia and Kazakhstan, where new found riches are being lapped up by citizens while calls for democracy are few. You could apply that to a certain extent to China too.

Of course, the more the Middle East and North Africa riot, the more wealth from higher oil prices feeds into Saudi coffers. Like Bahrain, the rulers there are already trying to buy off their citizens' discontent. Will it be enough though?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-23/cameron-says-some-middle-east-rulers-use-issue-of-israel-as-a-distraction.html

Cameron Says Some Middle East Rulers Use Issue of Israel as a Distraction
By Robert "Bob" Hutton - Feb 23, 2011 4:00 PM GMT
U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron told students in Qatar that some Middle Eastern rulers were using the Israel-Palestine conflict as a distraction from their own oppressive regimes.
“In too many countries in the Middle East, some rulers say to their people ‘be angry about that, don’t be angry about the fact that you live in a non-open society,’” Cameron told his audience at Qatar University in the capital, Doha, today after taking a series of questions on Israel.

At last someone says it like it is. Palestine is a decoy to keep the Arab people's anger focused elsewhere while the sheiks, mullahs and fascists (Armourdinnerjacket) live bankster-lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Its funny but I have been replying to all those anti-American posts about how the West have been exploiting the Arabs etc etc and here we are seeing the precise point I was making back then. These revolutions are justice for the common people in those lands who have NOT been exploited by the west but by their own rulers.

complete logic fail as the rulers have been propped up by the west for decades.

your grasp of geopolitics is shaky at best and at worst ignorant biased hogwash.

A funny post, but there are posters who are out in the Kingdom at the moment and there, currently appears little unrest thus far. There was even some city analyst on 5live this week saying there isn't quite as much discontent as there is in other parts of the ME.

Although if you have links to show otherwise, please post.

i have have no information one way or the other about saudi arabia etc my only point was the information about the west propping up all these despotic regimes is on/in the public/historical record so no real excuse other than ignorance or bias for not knowing it.

for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_doctrine

I am not convinced your average arab understands the concept of democracy. in the way we do. I suspect the most stable approach is a graduated moved to a constitutional monarchy. So no different than the way the UK did it starting with Charles II

And I know that it is beyond the imaginative capacity and intelligence of the average westerner to concieve that anything other than a deeply indoctrinated populace being allowed to tick a box once in five years is the last word in self determination and "freedom".