House Price Crash Forum

Only 5% Of The Ftse Ceos Are Female

GBdamo

HOLA441

Radio 5Live, Gabby Logans show, today had a short discussion about the lack of women in the top jobs in industry. Apparently only five of the FTSE 100 CEOs are female. Then the usual hard done bys’ start going on about quotas and all female shortlists.

It seems to me that industry (the private sector) is the last bastion of sensibility where the societal fiddling of the PC brigade cannot get a foothold.

Now there may be a case that it’s an old boys’ network at play however with the ease and cost of discrimination claims it seems to me unlikely. Men really are better at doing these types of jobs.

But better at what though? Better at taking the ‘hard decisions’ when in reality they’re justifying their amoral decisions as fair because ‘it’s in the best interests of the company’. Men in these roles find it very easy to square things away by thinking they are paid to make decisions in the company’s interest and not to moralise about them. Employees are a resource the same as any raw material, the price goes up - you look elsewhere for a cheaper alternative.

Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea, forcing quotas; it might bring some much needed empathy back into industry. Dare it be said, some social responsibility.

Are women the fairer sex in more ways than one?

HOLA442

Radio 5Live, Gabby Logans show, today had a short discussion about the lack of women in the top jobs in industry. Apparently only five of the FTSE 100 CEOs are female. Then the usual hard done bys' start going on about quotas and all female shortlists.

It seems to me that industry (the private sector) is the last bastion of sensibility where the societal fiddling of the PC brigade cannot get a foothold.

Now there may be a case that it's an old boys' network at play however with the ease and cost of discrimination claims it seems to me unlikely. Men really are better at doing these types of jobs.

But better at what though? Better at taking the 'hard decisions' when in reality they're justifying their amoral decisions as fair because 'it's in the best interests of the company'. Men in these roles find it very easy to square things away by thinking they are paid to make decisions in the company's interest and not to moralise about them. Employees are a resource the same as any raw material, the price goes up - you look elsewhere for a cheaper alternative.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea, forcing quotas; it might bring some much needed empathy back into industry. Dare it be said, some social responsibility.

I really am not so sure that men really are 'better' at doing these types of jobs - particularly in the banking sector where, as we've just seen, many destroyed their own companies (i.e. they destroyed their shareholders' companies)... :unsure:

HOLA443
HOLA444

I really am not so sure that men really are 'better' at doing these types of jobs - particularly in the banking sector where, as we've just seen, many destroyed their own companies (i.e. they destroyed their shareholders' companies)... :unsure:

My point is they blindly do what they are told, which in the case of the banks is what they did.

HOLA445

I have met scores of men at work who will simplly not take instruction from a woman. They often see the workplace as their domain, away from being bossed about by the wife at home. Assertiveness and confidence in a woman is inevitably deemed as aggression.

The simmering resentment of women in my last place was a stench. One of the men there would not have got away with his hatred of females outside that environment, where it is now being fostered and developed. I don't know who the f*ck these throwbacks think they are.

I am no raving feminist, but utter sexism and misogyny in the workplace is rife and I would say it has definitely been a brake on my career.

We still don't see equal pay across the board do we?

I would like to see quotas of woman in the boardroom. Women can be far more ruthless in business then men.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Radio 5Live, Gabby Logans show, today had a short discussion about the lack of women in the top jobs in industry. Apparently only five of the FTSE 100 CEOs are female. Then the usual hard done bys’ start going on about quotas and all female shortlists.

Now there may be a case that it’s an old boys’ network at play however with the ease and cost of discrimination claims it seems to me unlikely. Men really are better at doing these types of jobs.

But better at what though? Better at taking the ‘hard decisions’ when in reality they’re justifying their amoral decisions as fair because ‘it’s in the best interests of the company’. Men in these roles find it very easy to square things away by thinking they are paid to make decisions in the company’s interest and not to moralise about them. Employees are a resource the same as any raw material, the price goes up - you look elsewhere for a cheaper alternative.

Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea, forcing quotas; it might bring some much needed empathy back into industry. Dare it be said, some social responsibility.

Disgraceful........... far too many!

HOLA448

I have met scores of men at work who will simplly not take instruction from a woman. They often see the workplace as their domain, away from being bossed about by the wife at home. Assertiveness and confidence in a woman is inevitably deemed as aggression.

The simmering resentment of women in my last place was a stench. One of the men there would not have got away with his hatred of females outside that environment, where it is now being fostered and developed. I don't know who the f*ck these throwbacks think they are.

I am no raving feminist, but utter sexism and misogyny in the workplace is rife and I would say it has definitely been a brake on my career.

We still don't see equal pay across the board do we?

I would like to see quotas of woman in the boardroom. Women can be far more ruthless in business then men.

I guess I work in a fairly equal company, salaries are all banded and equal jobs are paid equally. In fact not to long ago HR put the Adminitration Manager (new title) up three grades as her position was considered a lower management function due the number of reports.

Women have, and do make it up to the lower management level but rarely higher. I don't know why but I'm confident there is no unfairness.

HOLA449

I guess I work in a fairly equal company, salaries are all banded and equal jobs are paid equally. In fact not to long ago HR put the Adminitration Manager (new title) up three grades as her position was considered a lower management function due the number of reports.

Women have, and do make it up to the lower management level but rarely higher. I don't know why but I'm confident there is no unfairness.

There is never unfairness just descrimination

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

To get to CEO of a FTSE 100 requires a massive amount of work over many years, which is just not consistent with starting a family and the career break this entails.

I do think this is an issue for women as companies may be reluctant to commit to women who haven't got the family bit of their lives behind them.

But why shouldn't a company make that choice? apart from it being discriminatory.

Yet it's ok for a company to shut down altogether and move production to Chindia. :blink:

HOLA4414

Speak to most birds who work in big companies. The vast majority prefer working for a male boss and think they do a better job. Many simply despise working for a female boss.

Now I am not saying who is better or anything. However when one sex happily admits they cannot stand thier own sex being in charge ? I think we should listen to them - no ?

Or should we just listen to the small number of 'equal rights' activists who shout loud about his subject and ensure they are heard over everyone else...

In my experience birds can make some of the best bosses. However if we are talking purely numbers here ? Far more blokes make geenrally better bosses that birds. And pretty much every bird I have had this chat with agrees 100%.

It is not sexism that any birds don't make it to the boardroom. Many are just not up to the job. Just the same goes for me. However more men are up to it.

HOLA4415

I do think this is an issue for women as companies may be reluctant to commit to women who haven't got the family bit of their lives behind them.

But why shouldn't a company make that choice? apart from it being discriminatory.

Yet it's ok for a company to shut down altogether and move production to Chindia. :blink:

The point I was making is that it's effectively the women who are making the choice. Most are just not prepared to go down the route of pop them out then back at work within 6 weeks doing 70+ hours per week, but that is what you need to do to get up to CEO - take 3-5 years out and forget it.

Also, this can be a problem even before the kids arive. The mere prospect of kids means that the likely pay-off from the hard work is that much lower - logical response: committ less time to your career and more time to securing a husband.

HOLA4416

Women can't get anywhere near the top percentile in anything, if the pool is of both men and women.

They never have and they never will.

They also wind up nowhere near the bottom either. That's the pisser with testosterones effect on the brain. On average women are better than men at most stuff, but exceptional men are better than women.

HOLA4417

To get to CEO of a FTSE 100 requires a massive amount of work over many years, which is just not consistent with starting a family and the career break this entails.

...don't agree that is a reason at all.....I know two (happy) house husbands, I know of women that had only 3 or 6 months off maternity leave and others that have chosen or can't have children.

...I would say it is more: for now. ;)

HOLA4418
Speak to most birds who work in big companies. The vast majority prefer working for a male boss and think they do a better job. Many simply despise working for a female boss.

Out of choice I would rather work for a bloke, they have more of a sense of humor and don't seem so threatened like some of the girls do....you only have to look at some of the women politicians. :P

In my experience birds can make some of the best bosses. However if we are talking purely numbers here ? Far more blokes make generally better bosses that birds. And pretty much every bird I have had this chat with agrees 100%.

agree again, I have had one or two great female bosses, but one was happy towing the line and the other was good but rubbed everyone up the wrong way.

It is not sexism that any birds don't make it to the boardroom. Many are just not up to the job. Just the same goes for me. However more men are up to it.

The girls I would say are not so ambitious, ruthless and money orientated than some power and ego driven men. ;)

HOLA4419

...don't agree that is a reason at all.....I know two (happy) house husbands, I know of women that had only 3 or 6 months off maternity leave and others that have chosen or can't have children.

The husband might be happy at home but is the wife happy or does she come over all unnecessary every time she bumps into the office alpha male at work.

_____

The whole sex discrimination seems to start from a flawed premise that for any task a team consisting of a 50/50 split of the sexes will produce optimal results even though there's no evidence that this is the case.

HOLA4420

Women can't get anywhere near the top percentile in anything, if the pool is of both men and women.

They also wind up nowhere near the bottom either. That's the pisser with testosterones effect on the brain. On average women are better than men at most stuff, but exceptional men are better than women.

That is a very good point and something kept very quiet when they go on about average wages and how poorly woman are done by. IIRC for part time workers women do better than men and earn on average more. Don't see the 'equal rights' campaigners maoning about that. Ah yes - that's because it benefits them so they think it is ok.

Out of choice I would rather work for a bloke, they have more of a sense of humor and don't seem so threatened like some of the girls do....you only have to look at some of the women politicians. :P

agree again, I have had one or two great female bosses, but one was happy towing the line and the other was good but rubbed everyone up the wrong way.

The girls I would say are not so ambitious, ruthless and money orientated than some power and ego driven men. ;)

Yep that is a very big aspect to this. And not surprising !!

I read some research on this a while back. IIRC women take more sick days, have more career breaks and apply for less promotions that men. In reality - if as many women were in the boardroom as men ? Now that would be properly unfair !! On us blokes though. ;)

HOLA4421

The husband might be happy at home but is the wife happy or does she come over all unnecessary every time she bumps into the office alpha male at work.

_____

The whole sex discrimination seems to start from a flawed premise that for any task a team consisting of a 50/50 split of the sexes will produce optimal results even though there's no evidence that this is the case.

Not that complicated...it boils down to the fact that she can earn more with the skills she has than her husband so has opted for now to be the breadwinner. ;)

HOLA4422

That is why all female shortlists would be a complete disaster. They would not be the best for the job, and you would end up with the best for the job (man) being sexually discriminated against while the lucky female takes the top spot. Resulting loss of earnings might be enough to send companies overseas.

HOLA4423

That is why all female shortlists would be a complete disaster. They would not be the best for the job, and you would end up with the best for the job (man) being sexually discriminated against while the lucky female takes the top spot. Resulting loss of earnings might be enough to send companies overseas.

What you mean ill conceived PC leglislation results in an overly burdened and expensive environment in which to conduct business. :o

HOLA4424

How about, each company makes its own decisions in its own best interest?

Biology tells us, it's common for males to live 'faster', strive harder, seek to become the big winner who gets all the females. So we should not be in the least surprised to see more male winners and losers - in the boardroom and the prison - with the vast majority of females somewhere in the middle, neither (big) winners nor (big) losers.

FWIW I've only ever worked for male bosses in the UK, but I've had female bosses in Italy and the USA. All the women were very clearly among my better managers.

HOLA4425

It has nothing at all to do with discrimination and everything to do with the natural variation found in men and women. It doesn't matter what attribute you look at, you always find women clustering around the centre and the extremes occupied by males. Thus you have more male geniuses but also more male idiots. When you have a job that requires extreme attributes, such as CEO of a FTSE100, then you will have more male candidates with those extreme attributes. For example, there are way more male chess grandmasters. The ranking is based on games won, it would be foolish to say that a win was actually a loss because your chess opponent was female.

The origin of all these is evolutionary pressure. By producing enhanced variation in males, some males will be fitter for their environment. They can go on to impregnate multiple females. Other extreme male variations, which are not useful, will not breed at all. The same pressures do not apply to females since even third rate females will be impregnated.

The big assumption of the equality argument is that the two populations, male and female are identical in composition. Which is not the case.

Archived