House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Let's Talk Mobiles

Been looking on several sites - it's amazing what phone deals you can get now. Phones with free HDTVs etc, or simple phones for £1 a month! The cheap option suits me best but the sheer number of phones (all with seemingly poor reviews) is bewildering. I want something slim, that works, excellent battery life, and with a good camera. Not bothered about other faff... any suggestions?

Been looking on several sites - it's amazing what phone deals you can get now. Phones with free HDTVs etc, or simple phones for £1 a month! The cheap option suits me best but the sheer number of phones (all with seemingly poor reviews) is bewildering. I want something slim, that works, excellent battery life, and with a good camera. Not bothered about other faff... any suggestions?

Get an iPhone

I run a dual sim phone as i have two numbers i need to use on different sides of the world. I am due to upgrade it and there are some anazing deals on unlocked dual sim imports at present with all sorts of features on them! A dual sim with touch screen tv radio blue tooth gps blah blah blah for about £130

He said he wanted good battery life.

Get an iPhone4 then :D

Battery life gets depleted because they get utilised. If I left mine fully charged and disabled all the push notifications it'd easily last the week.

He said he wanted good battery life.

He might think he wants that, but what he really wants is an iphone. You just need to pay attention to the marketing and you will understand.

BTW - I do have an iphone, its great. The buttons started playing up the other day, took it in to the apple store, and got a new one there and then no issues. They are expensive but its a good service when something goes wrong. I appreciate they are not for everyone though and there are much more cost effective options out there.

Nokia 6303i Classic. Bulletproof (but not as bulletproof as the earlier 6300 :( ), decent mic/speaker for calls, e-mail, real buttons for texting, decent camera, and 3.5mm jack for headphones.

Not too many deals now though, not sure if it's being phased out.

Nokia 6303i Classic. Bulletproof (but not as bulletproof as the earlier 6300 :( ), decent mic/speaker for calls, e-mail, real buttons for texting, decent camera, and 3.5mm jack for headphones.

Not too many deals now though, not sure if it's being phased out.

That's a good one too. Had one with my old job for VoIP calls from home. Something the iPhone does not do :(

IPhone just nails it to be honest, its a bit more expensive but more value for money if that makes sense.

I normally get bored of phones or other gadgets and experience buyers remorse, but if I lost my IPhone I'd buy another tomorrow.

Not sure whether this'll embed correctly, but check the proportion of %positive vs %negative reviews.

http://chart.brandwatch.net/register/swf/prchart.swf

FWIW, my favourite phone is the Nokia E71. Many times better battery life than others mentioned in this thread, and - what matters most to me - more comfortable in the pocket and in the hand than anything Blackberry/Apple/Android I've seen, with a keyboard that's pure pleasure to use! The downside is a clunky operating system (symbian) that makes it a faff to run multiple apps concurrently and switch between - for example - maps/gps, calendar, radio, camera, web browser, but once you're in an app it's great.

You can get Co-Pilot for Android, or the free Google one that comes with it is actually very good.

I prefer TomTom to Co-Pilot. The Google one downloads the maps as needed, rather than storing them internally, this would get a bit expensive on "roaming" data charges and I do most of my driving in Europe.

I prefer TomTom to Co-Pilot. The Google one downloads the maps as needed, rather than storing them internally, this would get a bit expensive on "roaming" data charges and I do most of my driving in Europe.

Nokia maps would work fine for you.

Before going to a country (or when you have a wifi connection), just zoom in to somewhere in that country, and it'll download a whole-country dataset as a job lot so you have it later. You can also opt to run GPS/maps without going online at all, unlike google.

Nokia maps would work fine for you.

Before going to a country (or when you have a wifi connection), just zoom in to somewhere in that country, and it'll download a whole-country dataset as a job lot so you have it later. You can also opt to run GPS/maps without going online at all, unlike google.

That sounds usable, but with TomTom I have the whole of Europe (2gb), complete with all the safety cameras, on my storage card and can update the maps regularly. The live traffic information is useful too, although that does use a small amount of data.

Avoid the iphone and save yourself a whole load of money.

I had the iphone 3 and really liked it even though the battery and the camera was rubbish. Then I upgraded to the 4. Oh dear.

The signal strength is nowhere near as good. It will hang up or switch to speakerphone when it feels like activating the screen while you have it against your ear. You have to use it in a bumper or a case or the signal will go completely - that is if you hold it wrong e.g. as anyone would hold a phone.

So aside from being crap as a phone, it's great.

MOTOPHONE F3

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/motorola-motofone-f3-review-49289087/

Getting hard to find, but utterly bomb proof, battery lasts about 3 weeks, a display you can read in bright sunlight.

Its a bit crap for TXTing, more than about 4 words and you have to scroll

cost about £10

I've got a couple of those I bought but never used. I think they were designed for use in the third world.

Why do you want something slim? In my experience that makes it far more likely to slip out of your pocket and break or be lost.

I have two phones - a 2 year old works iPhone and a 6 year old chunky Sony Ericsson. I am forever dropping the iPhone and had to pay out to replace the screen which is now cracked again. The Sony is thicker but smaller so goes in pockets better and is far less prone to falling. And its battery lasts for days and days.

I much prefer the Sony for that reason and that it has buttons rather than a touch screen.

Both phones have cameras, mp3, e-mail, internet. I'm not a Luddite but I'm not using the additional iPhone features so clearly don't need them.

Why do you want something slim?

Can't answer for him, but I value my comfort. A phone travels in a pocket and exerts pressure. A fat phone tends to give me cramps when cycling, etc, and even when just sitting or walking in some kinds of pocket. Happy to say my slim and elegant phone has never slipped out.

I also find it less than comfortable to hold a great big brick in the hand while, for example, speaking on the 'phone.

I avoid carrying a fat wallet for much the same reason. Apart from buying the slimmest I could find in the first place, that means forgoing things like shop loyalty cards, and always purging it of things like tickets after use.

Can't answer for him, but I value my comfort. A phone travels in a pocket and exerts pressure. A fat phone tends to give me cramps when cycling, etc, and even when just sitting or walking in some kinds of pocket. Happy to say my slim and elegant phone has never slipped out.

I also find it less than comfortable to hold a great big brick in the hand while, for example, speaking on the 'phone.

I avoid carrying a fat wallet for much the same reason. Apart from buying the slimmest I could find in the first place, that means forgoing things like shop loyalty cards, and always purging it of things like tickets after use.

You fattist you

Avoid the iphone and save yourself a whole load of money.

I had the iphone 3 and really liked it even though the battery and the camera was rubbish. Then I upgraded to the 4. Oh dear.

The signal strength is nowhere near as good. It will hang up or switch to speakerphone when it feels like activating the screen while you have it against your ear. You have to use it in a bumper or a case or the signal will go completely - that is if you hold it wrong e.g. as anyone would hold a phone.

So aside from being crap as a phone, it's great.

I have an iPhone4, no issues love it.. with a phone this nice you'd be mad not to have a cover on it, u admit it's like holding a tile and just as fragile (how many tiled do you break when tiling - loads probably). If your having problems. Just take it to apple and they'll replace it free of charge. The wifes 3GS battery was a bit pants (bought may10) so I took it in to apple today and the 'genius' plugged it in for a diagnostic and replaced it with a brand-new one there and then. The wife isnaf with me as it had all her photos on it and film (including our babies first steps) and she hadn't backed them up, the apple guy did a full reset in my view so oh dear.

The iPhone3gs is a better phone and can take a fair amount of abuse.

I have an iPhone 3g, it's OK. It was a 'hand me down' from my son.

Both him and my wife have HTC phones (Desire and Hero) and I prefer both of them in almost every way. The major plus of the HTCs is the ability to add a shortcut to do anything. This makes it a lot nicer to use.

For example, turning off wifi on my iPhone takes about 6 actions. Doing it on an HTC takes 2, or 1 if you're on the right screen already.

I could do without all of the iPhone bells and whistles though, but whichever phone I had must be capable of email on the move. Sadly I prefer to use IMAP instead of POP, and the HTC phones never seem happy with IMAP.