House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Nhs To Lose 50,000 Jobs, Including Doctors And Nurses

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/feb/23/nhs-to-lose-50000-jobs

More than 50,000 jobs are disappearing from the NHS, according to freedom of information responses, which reveal for the first time the extent of cuts by local health trusts struggling to save £20bn from their budgets.

The survey, by the union-funded website False Economy, represents the most up-to-date picture of the effects of efficiency savings in the NHS and reveals that in England alone, 24,000 posts will be lost in hospitals, another 10,000 will go in primary care trusts and 6,000 will disappear from mental health trusts.

They include doctors, nurses and dentists as well as administrative positions, undermining government pledges to protect frontline services.

Trouble is the money has run out and the NHS is too bloated.

http://www.guardian....lose-50000-jobs

watched glimpses of bloomentall. some celeb chef in a childrens hospital last night....NHS

first obs...the staff were at first intransigent and uncooperative, and unreceptive.

200 kids, and 5 chefs. thats 40 each. about what the Masterchef contestants would cook for with Gourmet food...amatuers.

Ok, then there was the catering manager...and an assistant lady sitting opposite.

then, for a decision, there was the "Board"...of 5 or was it 6 as one was absent...the catering manager himself...

so to cook for 200 kids, we have 6 staff, 4 doing the work and two to admin, there were other bods floating around, and there seemed time for the staff to do the show, go on visits and present to meetings.

and the key manager failed ot attend the meeting which was the whole point of the exercise.

I doubt the board itself, or the catering manager had even seen a patient in years.

Reminded me of Sir John Harvey Jones going into the NHS and meeting a CE....he was gobsmacked the man NEVER visited to wards....he just attended meetings and formed his opinions from those...100% manipulable by the VI empire builders below him.....I think the manager at Basildon Hospital was recently seen to be the same following an outbreak of illness in the wards in his hospital...never noticed the blood on the walls and filth on the floors...because HE NEVER VISITED.

RANT 2 over .

PS, those new meals ...fried worms and snot shakes.....not for me thanks.

Its badly run. Left hand never knows what right hand is doing. They need a top town restructuring and should bring in top HMO people from the States to sort it out for them (Kaiser Permanente have the expertise). If run well they could easily lose 20% of the non-jobs. The mix ups that come to my attention almost daily would make the toe nails on the front of your feet turn inwards.

Its badly run. Left hand never knows what right hand is doing. They need a top town restructuring and should bring in top HMO people from the States to sort it out for them (Kaiser Permanente have the expertise). If run well they could easily lose 20% of the non-jobs. The mix ups that come to my attention almost daily would make the toe nails on the front of your feet turn inwards.

100% agree, my Mrs is a Nurse and they have already cut the staff no to bugger all, but they did manage to find someone to follow her for 2 days noting down how long it took her to walk between beds, see paitents etc.

The Mrs pointed out that they have an average 1 week rotation on paitents and that they can range in care levels from sore skin to full care (i.e. needs feeding, cant move, constant pain etc) so the time taken with each paitent can vary from minutes to hours. She also asked the admin girl what she was being paid to follow her arround (it was more than she was on). The waste is crazy and the top level staff what to keep the middle managers as the more layers between them and the floor the safer they feel

Edited by FIGGY

A PCT pharmacist comes to our GP practice every so often to audit our prescribing, but since we are careful with our prescribing the savings are of the order of a couple of hundred pounds at most. The senior partner has banned me from talking to her after I pointed out to her that the savings to the PCT would have been much greater if the PCT had not employed her and left the practices she visits to 'get on with the job'.

Snip.....................................

Reminded me of Sir John Harvey Jones going into the NHS and meeting a CE....he was gobsmacked the man NEVER visited to wards....he just attended meetings and formed his opinions from those..100% manipulable by the VI empire builders below him.....I think the manager at Basildon Hospital was recently seen to be the same following an outbreak of illness in the wards in his hospital...never noticed the blood on the walls and filth on the floors...because HE NEVER VISITED.

Snip..................................

I think it may have been that Robinson fellow (who recently did the very interesting tv programme about making wills), who had all the common sense solutions to help the NHS, that it's own staff don't posses!

Two items on the main BBC ( B-alls B-roadcasting C-orporation) news this morning were

"Twice as many to be made redundant in the NHS than expected" and

"More children living in poverty than previously"

Yep, the BBC is 100% lie-bore mouth piece, the sooner the coalition sort them out the better.

watched glimpses of bloomentall. some celeb chef in a childrens hospital last night....NHS

first obs...the staff were at first intransigent and uncooperative, and unreceptive.

200 kids, and 5 chefs. thats 40 each. about what the Masterchef contestants would cook for with Gourmet food...amatuers.

Ok, then there was the catering manager...and an assistant lady sitting opposite.

then, for a decision, there was the "Board"...of 5 or was it 6 as one was absent...the catering manager himself...

so to cook for 200 kids, we have 6 staff, 4 doing the work and two to admin, there were other bods floating around, and there seemed time for the staff to do the show, go on visits and present to meetings.

and the key manager failed ot attend the meeting which was the whole point of the exercise.

I doubt the board itself, or the catering manager had even seen a patient in years.

Reminded me of Sir John Harvey Jones going into the NHS and meeting a CE....he was gobsmacked the man NEVER visited to wards....he just attended meetings and formed his opinions from those...100% manipulable by the VI empire builders below him.....I think the manager at Basildon Hospital was recently seen to be the same following an outbreak of illness in the wards in his hospital...never noticed the blood on the walls and filth on the floors...because HE NEVER VISITED.

RANT 2 over .

I watched this too and gained similiar impressions. I've worked in the NHS and it was all so depressingly familiar. These NHS 'managers' are a total menace. Take the catering manager for example. I bet all the cooks have to fill in a raft of forms everytime they want to change anything, which he just quashes with a hail of negativity.

I didn't think much of Heston's improvements (Jamie Oliver would have produced something less gimicky and more practical for the kids) but the one positive thing that was achieved was putting the catering staff in touch with the patients. It really fired their enthusiam. That part was wonderful to see.

A PCT pharmacist comes to our GP practice every so often to audit our prescribing, but since we are careful with our prescribing the savings are of the order of a couple of hundred pounds at most. The senior partner has banned me from talking to her after I pointed out to her that the savings to the PCT would have been much greater if the PCT had not employed her and left the practices she visits to 'get on with the job'.

So being on the frontline of the NHS do you agree with abolishing the PCT's?

So being on the frontline of the NHS do you agree with abolishing the PCT's?

To be honest I don't really care anymore. I know our practice is becoming part of a commissioning group but I'm not involved in the negotiations. All I want to do is see the patients, make the necessary referrals, deal with the follow-ups and stay out of medical politics.

I expect, once the commissioning groups are up and running, various dictats on prescribing and referrals will pass my way, to be briefly looked at and then binned and I will carry on with doing what I'm best at. I'm already known to be a 'bit awkward', according to my senior partner. :lol:

100% agree, my Mrs is a Nurse and they have already cut the staff no to bugger all, but they did manage to find someone to follow her for 2 days noting down how long it took her to walk between beds, see paitents etc.

The Mrs pointed out that they have an average 1 week rotation on paitents and that they can range in care levels from sore skin to full care (i.e. needs feeding, cant move, constant pain etc) so the time taken with each paitent can vary from minutes to hours. She also asked the admin girl what she was being paid to follow her arround (it was more than she was on). The waste is crazy and the top level staff what to keep the middle managers as the more layers between them and the floor the safer they feel

Just about sums it up for me (although I'd point out that this nonsense seemed to start under the tories in the late '80s).

The NHS sort-of copies some business behaviour, but in a completely counter-productive way. It's a cargo-cult like approach...

what I don't understand is they make comments about "they have to feed the patients on 4 pound a day" without explaining if that's just the food cost or whether it includes the cost of the staff, building, equipment etc.

If it's the former, I can feed myself at home, far larger portions than a 7 year old eats, for 4 pound a day and I don't have the economies of scale that a 200 "seat" kitchen has, so what's the ****ing problem?

tim

Cut 50,000 manager positions and there would be no difference in the service.

But that won't secure money from the CB next round.

Gotta think like a fink to get how public services will function in a cuts environment.

What they will do is stop giving kids cancer treatment etc so as to make the national news long before they cut any troughers. The hope bgin public outcry will change the politics and papa government will come to the rescue with his magic bag of free cash.

The game has changed, but the old rules are all that people know.

The NHS needs competition. We need an NHS run along the lines of the Dutch, French, etc, where you have a choice of which Dcotor to see, which hospital to go, etc.

Everyone knows this.

The NHS is like a 1920s Soviet-era dictator telling you what to do.

The BMA also is a problem IMPO - we need to treble the numbers of Doctors trained in the UK.

The NHS needs big changes. We all know that.

The NHS needs competition. We need an NHS run along the lines of the Dutch, French, etc, where you have a choice of which Dcotor to see, which hospital to go, etc.

I don't want a choice. I want the nearest to me to be good!

Choice is wrong.

The booking choice system fails.

I don't want a choice. I want the nearest to me to be good!

Choice is wrong.

The booking choice system fails.

Agreed. It's this old New Labour mantra of choice that's actually part of the problem.

Edit:

Choice = facility for comparison.

Comparisons require league tables

League tables require stupid targets, KPIs etc that not only promotes more middle management and paper work, but malignant gaming of the system in order to meet said targets or KPI, because....

Meeting targets = funding.

We need to move away from this culture in all areas of the public sector, not increase it (which I fear is the road we're staring down).

Edited by PopGun

The Mrs pointed out that they have an average 1 week rotation on paitents and that they can range in care levels from sore skin to full care (i.e. needs feeding, cant move, constant pain etc) so the time taken with each paitent can vary from minutes to hours. She also asked the admin girl what she was being paid to follow her arround (it was more than she was on).

sh*t

My wife's an HCA (health care assistant) and she had someone from admin following her around all day. Trouble is that the woman couldn't keep up as the wife moves pretty fast! By 4:00pm she was knackered and went home.....the wife started a few hours before her and went on until 7:30. (12.5 hours a day)

Hopefully they'll keep the HCAs.

SNIP

SNIP

The usual SJH-J response.

If she doesn't read this blog, she should.

Everyone knows this.

The NHS is like a 1920s Soviet-era dictator telling you what to do.

The BMA also is a problem IMPO - we need to treble the numbers of Doctors trained in the UK.

The NHS needs big changes. We all know that.

How exactly will you make this choice? On your own personal clinical insight? Maybe the guy with the nicest office, shiniest advert or best track record carefully buffed by avoiding taking on tricky cases like yours?

Or perhaps you could rely on a "Soviet era dictator" with no perverse incentives using their clinical judgment to refer you to the most appropriate clinician, as used to happen in the properly "stalin" days.

My wife's an HCA (health care assistant) and she had someone from admin following her around all day. Trouble is that the woman couldn't keep up as the wife moves pretty fast! By 4:00pm she was knackered and went home.....the wife started a few hours before her and went on until 7:30. (12.5 hours a day)

Hopefully they'll keep the HCAs.

This might be a stupid question but, what's the point of admin staff following clinical staff around the ward?

RANT 2 over .

Yes, typical.

This might be a stupid question but, what's the point of admin staff following clinical staff around the ward?

A time and motion study I guess...

Edit. Maybe they find out that some patients needs more time spent on them than others.

Edited by council dweller