House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

How Many Young People Do You Think Are On Sickness Benefit?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359700/Incapacity-benefit-90-000-young-Britons-work.html

Nearly 90,000 young Britons are languishing on incapacity benefit rather than taking up jobs or training, figures reveal today.

Many of the 18 to 24-year-olds are claiming the benefit within months of leaving full-time education.

And 20,000 of the 86,000 receiving the payouts in this age group have been doing so for five years or more.

The figures compound fears that a ‘lost generation’ of young men and women have never known full-time work. Last week it emerged that since 1997, around 600,000 people have never had a job after leaving full-time education.

Frightening figures, I wonder how many of those 600k feel they'll never have a job?

I'd like to see some breakdown figures of why it's being claimed. 90,000 18-24 year olds are too ill to work!

Job creation in the private sector offers some hope to the overall employment picture. But redundancy intentions have risen to their highest level. More than 52% of public sector employers intend to make redundancies in the first three months of 2011 and 77% of local government employers plan to make cuts to their workforces.

Does not help the young.

EDIT

whoops, Bloo Loo living in the past...better make sure I put the right year on cheques today.

Edited by Bloo Loo

I know a few people in this age bracket who have never worked a day in their lives and who have such piss poor 'disabilities' that it makes a mockery of the whole system.

I'm watching the situation closely to see if the ConDems new benefits assessments will force these people off benefits, if they don't then Clegeron is lying about this just like everything else.

[

I'd like to see some breakdown figures of why it's being claimed. 90,000 18-24 year olds are too ill to work!

I will take a stab at drugs and alcohol abuse you know real illnesses ;)

I've seen a couple young men who tried hard to get and hold a job, but just weren't smart enough for the modern work world. In fairness to the big bad companies, they did give these young men a chance. But after losing a few of those jobs, and then going long gaps without work, their chances of finding employment become remote.

They were not retarded, but realize 15% of the adult population has an IQ below 85, and 50% of the adult population has a two digit IQ. Even a bank teller is said to require an IQ of 107 now. Relatively simple jobs like checkout teller actually require a fair amount of intelligence on occasion. Like putting in coupons that knock a percent off, cash back, adding whats left on gift cards to the payment the customer is making.

And basically all entry level jobs now have a lot of customer interaction. Which many people, especially those on the left hand side of the bell curve are socially awkward or inappropriate. This is also a reason women are much more capable of getting employment and then moving up the ladder.

I've seen a couple young men who tried hard to get and hold a job, but just weren't smart enough for the modern work world.

<snip>

If 50% or more of the jobs require above-average intelligence, then that might indicate a teensy-weensy structural problem...

I've seen a couple young men who tried hard to get and hold a job, but just weren't smart enough for the modern work world. In fairness to the big bad companies, they did give these young men a chance. But after losing a few of those jobs, and then going long gaps without work, their chances of finding employment become remote.

They were not retarded, but realize 15% of the adult population has an IQ below 85, and 50% of the adult population has a two digit IQ. Even a bank teller is said to require an IQ of 107 now. Relatively simple jobs like checkout teller actually require a fair amount of intelligence on occasion. Like putting in coupons that knock a percent off, cash back, adding whats left on gift cards to the payment the customer is making.

And basically all entry level jobs now have a lot of customer interaction. Which many people, especially those on the left hand side of the bell curve are socially awkward or inappropriate. This is also a reason women are much more capable of getting employment and then moving up the ladder.

I agree with you.....but what is the solution? better education can only help to a degree, even if you can grasp the basics and do manage to get a job, the purpose of the exercise is to be able to keep that job...have the 'can do' 'want to' attitude, people skills and even the small detail of turning up on time. ;)

I know a few people in this age bracket who have never worked a day in their lives and who have such piss poor 'disabilities' that it makes a mockery of the whole system.

I'm watching the situation closely to see if the ConDems new benefits assessments will force these people off benefits, if they don't then Clegeron is lying about this just like everything else.

I think you'll find not having a degree in chip shop purchasing management and 20K of student loans qualifies you for "disability" these days.

As stated above at least 1% of the population are going to be unemployable in any situation.

In some countries these people lie on the ground in rags begging people for money - I'd rather a couple of £ in taxation were used to give them some dignity in their lives rather than having that situation here.

Obviously that doesn't extend to some lay about with an undefined condition but otherwise we were all a damaged chromosone away from being that person ourselves.

At least the next generation will be fine as thankfully, the people who are doing a lot of reproducing are the intelligent hard working ones. :blink:

Edited by blackgoose

As stated above at least 1% of the population are going to be unemployable in any situation.

In some countries these people lie on the ground in rags begging people for money - I'd rather a couple of £ in taxation were used to give them some dignity in their lives rather than having that situation here.

Obviously that doesn't extend to some lay about with an undefined condition but otherwise we were all a damaged chromosone away from being that person ourselves.

Before we do anything else the priority is to find suitable work in the right places for all those who do genuinely do want to work and better themselves.......some people don't know want they want until they have tried it...some need to be told this the job you will be doing today, they require others to look for them and direct them....long term unemployment of the young is very bad for this country's future, it is epidemic in some societies/areas....people need to feel valued and useful they require a purpose, if they are paid off in benefits and ignored this will only feed into the next generation and so on. ;)

I agree with you.....but what is the solution? better education can only help to a degree, even if you can grasp the basics and do manage to get a job, the purpose of the exercise is to be able to keep that job...have the 'can do' 'want to' attitude, people skills and even the small detail of turning up on time. ;)

Good question. I've never been much of a believer in formalized education. The education industrial complex argues that given enough money to them, they can turn anyone into a rocket scientist. Yet Britain was at the peak of its creative and industrial power before we even had an education system.

A key skill you hit on for the modern workplace is people skills. Like some in my family are accountants.. and who makes partner in the accounting firms? The ones with the best technical skills, nope.. its the ones with the people skills who bring in and keep big fish clients.

At a lower level at a Tescos a new employee is going to be talking to customers dozens of times a day. To the customer that new employee represents Tescos.

Maybe right in the school system tey should teach kids about how to talk to customers, the importance of being on time, the right attitude for corporations, etc.

Absolutely spot on. Sad but true.

If 50% or more of the jobs require above-average intelligence, then that might indicate a teensy-weensy structural problem...

Its part of the automation trend I think is happening gradually. Every year the bar gets a little higher. The routine easy stuff gets automated. Leaving the harder, unusual problems for the human work to be done. And each year the automation handles a bit more of the hard stuff.

The automated checkout machines I see popping up in the local grocers is just the next in a long line of automations.

I notice the powers that be are using the term 'structural unemployment'.

I will take a stab at drugs and alcohol abuse you know real illnesses ;)

I know someone who's got stuff wrong with her BUT she still manages to have a very full social life whilst being "ill". Apparently it's ok to go on long walks as long as it's for a campaign cause close to your heart - even if you are too ill to work.

When there are severely disabled people managing to do a full weeks work then the rest of them can.

All the "sick" people I know lead a normal life so why can't they work?

They were not retarded, but realize 15% of the adult population has an IQ below 85, and 50% of the adult population has a two digit IQ.

Depressing, ain't it? I reckon anything less than 110 qualifies as a moron, myself. Nice to see my lack of faith in people is justified, though.

Edited by PrivateerMk2

We actually have quite a high average IQ in this country (excluding immigrants) basically because we've been exporting our underclass to the colonies for the last three hundred years - sometimes involuntarily. Now we have nowhere to send them, and of course they breed like nobody's business. The future looks stoopid unless we address this issue.

Depressing, ain't it? I reckon anything less than 110 qualifies as a moron, myself. Nice to see my lack of faith in people is justified, though.

Why, because you are 111? Or 109?

Good question. I've never been much of a believer in formalized education. The education industrial complex argues that given enough money to them, they can turn anyone into a rocket scientist. Yet Britain was at the peak of its creative and industrial power before we even had an education system.

A key skill you hit on for the modern workplace is people skills. Like some in my family are accountants.. and who makes partner in the accounting firms? The ones with the best technical skills, nope.. its the ones with the people skills who bring in and keep big fish clients.

At a lower level at a Tescos a new employee is going to be talking to customers dozens of times a day. To the customer that new employee represents Tescos.

Maybe right in the school system tey should teach kids about how to talk to customers, the importance of being on time, the right attitude for corporations, etc.

Totally correct.

Many teachers that I had seemed to lack people skills. Perhaps they were too clever and academic.

Yes....people buy people, most work involves coming into contact with others, if you don't have a boss you most certainly require customers...instead of passing tests wouldn't passing interviews and learning the rules of workplace ethics be more valuable to some.....once you have a job is that not when you really start learning and earning.

Of course essential learning starts at home, but some come from a home that the skills required are unknown or unrecognised......no leader no example. ;)

Of course essential learning starts at home, but some come from a home that the skills required are unknown or unrecognised......no leader no example. ;)

+1

Same with all the skills you need to manage money, eat healthily, be a good human being.

At least the next generation will be fine as thankfully, the people who are doing a lot of reproducing are the intelligent hard working ones. :blink:

I though the only people that can afford 3+ kid in UK now is the one in benefit. May be you are right as they are the most clever one who know how to play the system. Their IQ is par with the top banker who also know how to play with the system.

I though the only people that can afford 3+ kid in UK now is the one in benefit. May be you are right as they are the most clever one who know how to play the system. Their IQ is par with the top banker who also know how to play with the system.

...anyone can have intelligent children, it is how that intelligence is noticed,nurtured and applied that will ultimately benefit or hinder the rest of society. ;)

They do IQ tests at every job interview now? That’s a new one on me.

Sounds like a great idea, unless the candidate is dyslexic of course. Then bingo, another tier to the disability claimant count. Marvellous.

Edited by PopGun