House Price Crash Forum

Double Dip On The Way?

cypher007

HOLA441
HOLA442

noticed some odd activity recently, mostly from Argos. they seem to be selling stock off really cheap. so either theyve got a load of stuff left over from Christmas or there trying to make some cash before the next recession.

I just browsed the list of clearance lines in my nearest store

39 pages of virtually instant landfill

:(

HOLA443

I just browsed the list of clearance lines in my nearest store

39 pages of virtually instant landfill

:(

The mail that I got had some well priced laptops.

Would be interested except that with laptops you only have to wait 18 months and they will all be that price

HOLA444

I’ve set myself a 3 year policy with laptops. I got one in about March ’10 so that won’t need replacing until summer ’13 (put 20-30 quid a month away and that’ll get a decent spec). May even wait 4 years.

As for netbooks, they are too new on the market so I haven’t got one yet. I’m looking to get one in the summer (no way the laptop is going outside near the bbq and beer!) but I’ll be looking at the refurb websites and paying no more than 250.

HOLA445

I've set myself a 3 year policy with laptops.

Why the three years may I ask? If they are worn out by that time, can I recommend investing in a Mac? Made the transition several years ago and have found the extra price to be more than worth it in terms of durability, quality and service.

HOLA446

Why the three years may I ask? If they are worn out by that time, can I recommend investing in a Mac? Made the transition several years ago and have found the extra price to be more than worth it in terms of durability, quality and service.

Oh no it’s nothing to do with wear, just upgrading the spec and 3 years seems to be a good interval between processor, memory, storage and graphics upgrades.

Just missed the i-processor market with the last laptop I got.

HOLA447

It is not rocket science. Most people are suffering so they ain't going to be buying stuff unless they depserately need it.

This is the flaw in King's policy IMPO. But I fear he is so cocooned, IMPO, in the Square Mile that he has some kind of belief that by making 10,000 people in the City wealthier that the other 60 million of us will somehow rush out and spend.

HOLA448

I’ve set myself a 3 year policy with laptops. I got one in about March ’10 so that won’t need replacing until summer ’13 (put 20-30 quid a month away and that’ll get a decent spec). May even wait 4 years.

£720 to £1080 every 3 years on a laptop?

They have got you by the balls, read this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enough-Breaking-Free-World-More/dp/0340935928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298460440&sr=1-1

HOLA449

I've set myself a 3 year policy with laptops. I got one in about March '10 so that won't need replacing until summer '13 (put 20-30 quid a month away and that'll get a decent spec). May even wait 4 years.

I used to have a three-year policy with (home built) desktops, too, but last summer I came to the conclusion that there's nothing I need to do with my computer that my 2007-built machine can't do perfectly well, and have stuck to it. I've added a BluRay drive, a newer graphics card and another hard drive in the time that I've owned it; but compared to the difference between what £700-800 of components could buy you 2004 and 2007, I really don't think the performance increase between 07-10 is significant enough to make me want to change. Unless you want to edit high-definition video and/or play World of Wãnkcraft, there's no need. I suspect I'll be sticking with this machine until either the motherboard fails or a new version of Windows and/or Ubuntu just runs so slowly on it that I'm forced into an upgrade.

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

HOLA4410

and/or play World of Wãnkcraft, there's no need. I suspect I'll be sticking with this machine until either the motherboard fails or a new version of Windows and/or Ubuntu just runs so slowly on it that I'm forced into an upgrade.

Mmo's don't really require high end machines, forcing a $300 card etc.. for a $20 a month game isn't going to help sups. Some of the fps's do for sure, but still it's mostly gamers who are serious enough to spend the $, who do. But even if you do spend a k every 3 years, it's still less than a £1 a day. And if you can't find £1 a day value online, you're probably too stupid to know how to turn the thing on.

But sure if you aren’t a gamer, and if you don’t have the latest version of MS bloatware, why bother.

HOLA4411

Mmo's don't really require high end machines, forcing a $300 card etc.. for a $20 a month game isn't going to help sups. Some of the fps's do for sure, but still it's mostly gamers who are serious enough to spend the $, who do. But even if you do spend a k every 3 years, it's still less than a £1 a day. And if you can't find £1 a day value online, you're probably too stupid to know how to turn the thing on.

But sure if you aren’t a gamer, and if you don’t have the latest version of MS bloatware, why bother.

Why stop at a £1 a day when you could have said it's only 4p an hour?

Then the cost would even more reduced and even more insignificant - the question would be why doesn't everyone have one and swap them more regularly.

I saw a Sky TV ad yesterday and they said "it's less than £1 a day".

HOLA4412

Why stop at a £1 a day when you could have said it's only 4p an hour?

Then the cost would even more reduced and even more insignificant - the question would be why doesn't everyone have one and swap them more regularly.

I saw a Sky TV ad yesterday and they said "it's less than £1 a day".

No one will use a machine 24*7.

I assume it is lack of access to capital / credit.

People exchange based on necessity

Not sure what the sky comparison is for, how can I profit from subscribing to sky?

HOLA4413

No one will use a machine 24*7.

I assume it is lack of access to capital / credit.

People exchange based on necessity

Not sure what the sky comparison is for, how can I profit from subscribing to sky?

I mentioned Sky because like you they have started breaking their price down to cost per day as if this somehow makes things cheaper.

A £1 a day is £30 a month, £365 a year, £3,650 a decade but we are more likely to be told it is 4p an hour.

HOLA4414

I mentioned Sky because like you they have started breaking their price down to cost per day as if this somehow makes things cheaper.

A £1 a day is £30 a month, £365 a year, £3,650 a decade but we are more likely to be told it is 4p an hour.

Not cost, return on investment.

How do I turn a profit from subscribing to sky?

HOLA4415

Not cost, return on investment.

How do I turn a profit from subscribing to sky?

You could gamble on the sport they show.

I think we must be talking about different things. I am not talking about return on investment for laptops or Sky. I am merely suggesting it is brainwashing to try make people think things are cheaper by breaking a monthly cost into a per day cost.

HOLA4416

That would be good if I could just pay 4p per hour when I wanted to watch it

HOLA4417

You could gamble on the sport they show.

I think we must be talking about different things. I am not talking about return on investment for laptops or Sky. I am merely suggesting it is brainwashing to try make people think things are cheaper by breaking a monthly cost into a per day cost.

Probably.

My point is that return on investment of owning a PC is more than £1 a day.

Not owning a PC is the cost. Choosing not to buy sky doesn't (afaik) cost me anything.

Measuring in $ / time, I find personally to be more useful than a flat value.

HOLA4418

I've just upgraded my 31/2 year old white Macbook to the current 11" Macbook Air. It wasn't planned but I just had the urge to get a smaller laptop. The Macbook was purchased with the Education Store discount back on 2007 and sold last week for only £248 pounds less than I paid**. Okay I had upgraded the internal ram & HDD (several times), but the spares were sold or used. For the huge amount of time I've used my Mac over that period it seems a utter bargain.

Purchased the new MBA via Quidco & the Apple refurb store. It's expensive yes but hopefully with no moving parts & ultra portable design it will hold it's value and allow a similar upgrade in a few years. Like others the desktop no longer get updated (even rarely turned on).

** Price comparison included 3 year apple care, which replaced the Battery with new 6 months ago. Didn't use ebay so no seller fees etc.

HOLA4419

2005 laptop - new harddisk 2 years ago

End of march will buy a secondhand desktop.

3 years seems a bit short to me - just take care of your equipment and make sure you buy quality stuff (if a bit older)

also, for an instant speed boost, just add a SSD ( although i don't have one.)

HOLA4420

It is not rocket science. Most people are suffering so they ain't going to be buying stuff unless they depserately need it.

This is the flaw in King's policy IMPO. But I fear he is so cocooned, IMPO, in the Square Mile that he has some kind of belief that by making 10,000 people in the City wealthier that the other 60 million of us will somehow rush out and spend.

The only flaw in that is that they don't really care if we rush out and spend. Those 10,000 think (or know) that they will still be "comfortable" even if the rest of us go broke.

TBH I think King is fully aware of the situation but he has to keep rearranging the deck chairs because that's what his political masters demand.