House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

or in excess of

Unlocking Your Car

Did you know that if you have central locking, and you inadvertently leave the key in the boot, then shut it, you can unlock car with mobile phone. You need to have a spare key at home. You phone home on your mobile to another mobile at home. You then hold your mobile about a foot away from car, and ask person at home to unlock car with spare key, while holding it close to their mobile. Hey presto, car unlocks. Thought i`d share that with y`all.

Did you know that if you have central locking, and you inadvertently leave the key in the boot, then shut it, you can unlock car with mobile phone. You need to have a spare key at home. You phone home on your mobile to another mobile at home. You then hold your mobile about a foot away from car, and ask person at home to unlock car with spare key, while holding it close to their mobile. Hey presto, car unlocks. Thought i`d share that with y`all.

Got to be fake, mobiles can receive/transmit audio, keyfobs are radio frequency devices so phone couldn't retransmit the signal.

Hav you tried it?

Didn't think so.

Did it work when you tried it, 'cause the key works by radio and not by sound?

Also, to gain range when unlocking your car with a remote key fob, point the key against your temple and open you mouth really wide towards your vehicle. The radio frequency is amplified by your skull and directed to the target through your mouth.

Also, to gain range when unlocking your car with a remote key fob, point the key against your temple and open you mouth really wide towards your vehicle. The radio frequency is amplified by your skull and directed to the target through your mouth.

Now this does work. Not sure if you need to open your mouth though ? Works for me without.

Now this does work. Not sure if you need to open your mouth though ? Works for me without.

Try it with/without and post your findings here. I tried it whilst shouting to try and 'fling' the frequency further but can't say this improved the range, just upset the neighbours dog.

+1 thats ones very true and very weird ... sort of freaks the kids out :D

Did it work when you tried it, 'cause the key works by radio and not by sound?
I'm skeptical about this although I think the clowns who present Top Gear demonstrated that it works but they could have been pulling our legs.

But I was thinking... Key at home transmits radio signal which is picked up by phone one's antenna and relayed via phone network to phone two, that pick up signal and although it converts it to sound (whether audible or not) the weak electromagnetic signal induced in the phone's aeriel and amplified within the phone for conversion to sound could just conceivably leak out and activate the car's locking.

I'm skeptical about this although I think the clowns who present Top Gear demonstrated that it works but they could have been pulling our legs.

But...key at home transmits radio signal which is picked up by phone one's antenna and relayed via phone network to phone two, that pick up signal and although it converts it to sound (whether audible or not) the weak electromagnetic signal induced in the phone's aeriel and amplified within the phone for conversion to sound could leak out and activate the car's locking.

Using head as a for directional tuning definitely works, tried it - something lile 50% extra range with my key fob.

Still don't think theee is any way RF will work - the coding of the mobile network itself woul not let any signal through - all encoded and compressed as is - direct from audio source and decoded at other end to audio.

Nope no chance this could work. Unless the deice was ultrasonic, but even then band limiting would kill the signal strength.

What does this do to your brain?

Try it with/without and post your findings here. I tried it whilst shouting to try and 'fling' the frequency further but can't say this improved the range, just upset the neighbours dog.

I will give it a go next time I am out. A wee real life experiment !! How exciting.

What does this do to your brain?

Unlocks it. You start to see things like Erranta and Bearlite. It is amazing.

Incredibly unlikely, but possible. The RF signal from the phone is digital and what is transmitted as RF probably bears little resemblance to any analogue input (ie Audio).

However, phones do spew out a lot of RF which can cause switches to trigger in poorly designed circuits, having said that, a car is a metal object, so should shield internal circuitry form EMI (electromagnetic interference). My take, dont poo poo it until you see clear evidence, and when and if you see evidence, its probably a freak occurance.

Especially if the car doesnt have French electrics.. am I allowed to say that ... ???? ;)

I'll tell you what does work though, FaceTime from an iPhone4 in close proximity to the car (in my case a mk6 golf)... the cars alarm went wild when I discovered this by accident facetiming a mate from the front living room and in the morning found all the windows and fully wound down and the boot was unlocked (it rained that night too), repeated as an experiment and it worked again after a few minutes. VW didn't want to know, I tried telling them.

Well I'd be utterly shocked if it worked with my cars, as they have IR operated remote central locking

Given enough radio frequencies at enough power, at the right frequency. If the door were electronically operated, it might THEORETICALLY be possible to open your car. Your car will still have wires inside it that can pick up radio waves.

But it would have to go into a hanger inside a large military base, and if you paid me £500 a day, I might crack it in 10 years :D

I'll tell you what does work though, FaceTime from an iPhone4 in close proximity to the car (in my case a mk6 golf)... the cars alarm went wild when I discovered this by accident facetiming a mate from the front living room and in the morning found all the windows and fully wound down and the boot was unlocked (it rained that night too), repeated as an experiment and it worked again after a few minutes. VW didn't want to know, I tried telling them.

Poorly designed circuit. That's all. It happens. (In electronic talk, just increase the quiescent current, it makes circuits less susceptible to RF (radio frequencies) and there are other tricks)

VW engineers would probably own up, ...but we are talking marketing bul$hitters here arent we?