House Price Crash Forum
ralphmalph

Russian Railways To Offer Debt In Sterling

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8341398/Russian-Railways-will-sell-sterling-debt-to-upgrade-network.html

Even though I posted a slightly TIC title this is interesting that the Russkies, no friends of us Brits after the spy shennanigans are issuing debt in sterling and not dollars or euros. Is it because so many billionaire russians live in London or do they think the Euro and the Dollar are both toast and Georgie boy is engineering fortress sterling.

You beat me to this.

Have you considered that the Russians are betting Sterling will be toast and are betting they'll be able buy more pounds with their rubles? If sterling halves in value against the ruble over the coming years it would be a very good investment.

You beat me to this.

Have you considered that the Russians are betting Sterling will be toast and are betting they'll be able buy more pounds with their rubles? If sterling halves in value against the ruble over the coming years it would be a very good investment.

It could be that Lazards with Mandleson as lead advisor are in the deal, he has a lot of dodgy Russian mates.

It makes complete sense. On the forward FX curve the £ is in backwardation, so if they lock in a long forward contract when the debt is issued, it effectively lowers the interest rate they'd be paying. It's a sound enough decision.

http://www.telegraph...de-network.html

Even though I posted a slightly TIC title this is interesting that the Russkies, no friends of us Brits after the spy shennanigans are issuing debt in sterling and not dollars or euros. Is it because so many billionaire russians live in London or do they think the Euro and the Dollar are both toast and Georgie boy is engineering fortress sterling.

If they are borrowing pounds, it would be because they think the pound is toast, and it will be very cheap to pay it off, or alternatively to tap into the Russian billionaire market, or because they can get a cheaper interest rate.

You beat me to this.

Have you considered that the Russians are betting Sterling will be toast and are betting they'll be able buy more pounds with their rubles?

I don't think so.

They are offering the bonds in London because that's where the expertise is and that market demands a "hard" currency.

As they will be using the money to build a high speed rail network, they will have concluded that they can "suffer" the risks of the currency because the fares that they will charge for usuing the railway, once it is in operation, will be "western" fares, as is the norm for all such railways.

tim

One is minded to recall the last round of Russian Bonds were used as wallpaper.............

:lol: