House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reraise

Let's Talk Cars

Thay are all much of a muchness.I think the situation is exacerbated by the fact that they are fighting for survival.Yesterday a customer needed a relay for a Freelander.A couple of pieces of wire about 25cm long. £208! They admiited when I collected it for him that it's a mod because the original part was faulty.

Well, that's disgusting!

Thanks Profit....

Im currently driving round in a banger (Y reg - 185k) and though its still going, I spend a lot of time in my car and could do with a smarter one.

Im looking to put down around a £1500 deposit and the then pay around £150-200 a month for a year or so so looking at cars around the 4k mark.

Is it better to go HP or PCP. As my job is up and down, I would like the idea of being able to sell the car and pay off the rest if needed. Is this even possible?

In my case I put my car in for it's test one whole month before it was needed (see 'earliest day you can..' on MOT certificate) , fortunately it passed but if it had failed I'd have had a month work out a plan.

I don't think you do. I recollect reading on a motoring forum that, while this might have worked in the old handwritten days, now it's all computerised the car is immediately down as an MOT failure (DESPITE having another month on the old MOT) and therefore not street legal, as by definition it was not roadworthy on the date of failure. This might also invalidate your insurance...

Can Profitofdoom confirm/ refute?

I don't think you do. I recollect reading on a motoring forum that, while this might have worked in the old handwritten days, now it's all computerised the car is immediately down as an MOT failure (DESPITE having another month on the old MOT) and therefore not street legal, as by definition it was not roadworthy on the date of failure. This might also invalidate your insurance...

Can Profitofdoom confirm/ refute?

Interested to hear, this came up at work recently as somebody was going to do it on the grounds they had a month to get it sorted if it failed. It was at the back of my mind that a fail meant off the road but I kept quiet as I wasn't sure.

What you need is a crystal ball.If you spend the £650 and get a year of expense free motoring it's a bargain.On the other hand you could be like this customer of mine who spent several hundred quid getting his W reg astra through the test.a couple of months later his clutch went,he had that done and now the head gasket is gone.By the time he has finished he will have spent £1500 on a car worth about a grand.The downside of bangernomics.

I did the same with my old astra (2 cars ago now). It cost £350 to get through the MoT and the guy at the garage looked me in the eye and told me that the car was fkuked (it had racked up 140,000 hard miles). But I thought I'd pay the £350 and get another year out of it. I was towed home on the back of a recovery truck twice in the next six months and spent another £500 on repairs. Its' last trip was limping to the scrap yard with a trail of oily smoke.

Not really in the market for a new car while I'm saving for a deposit, as I'd probably look to borrow half the value of this car from a bank, but I was quite shocked to see how cheap you can pick up a relatively new Audi RS4 currently, starting as low as 20k for a 3-4 year old 50k supercar.

for a car

Cost of fuel no doubt an influence, but still seems cheap. Parts are scarily expensive too. Have to say, I'm having to fight the urge to go and get one of these at the moment.....

Keep telling myself how much less I can borrow on a mortgage if I had £12k of debt just for a car

£21,750

343gi6r.jpg

I did the same with my old astra (2 cars ago now). It cost £350 to get through the MoT and the guy at the garage looked me in the eye and told me that the car was fkuked (it had racked up 140,000 hard miles). But I thought I'd pay the £350 and get another year out of it. I was towed home on the back of a recovery truck twice in the next six months and spent another £500 on repairs. Its' last trip was limping to the scrap yard with a trail of oily smoke.

Listen to your mechanic! Unless it's a chain: Quickfit, Halfords where they will say whatever to get you to do unnecessary work.

Not really in the market for a new car while I'm saving for a deposit, as I'd probably look to borrow half the value of this car from a bank, but I was quite shocked to see how cheap you can pick up a relatively new Audi RS4 currently, starting as low as 20k for a 3-4 year old 50k supercar.

for a car

Cost of fuel no doubt an influence, but still seems cheap. Parts are scarily expensive too. Have to say, I'm having to fight the urge to go and get one of these at the moment.....

Keep telling myself how much less I can borrow on a mortgage if I had £12k of debt just for a car

I'm being drawn on in these as well Pete. I wouldn't pay £50k or up for a car so I could watch it depreciate at upwards of £100 a week but when I see these in immaculate condition coming in at £20k, pretty much as good as new, well there is a pull.

I managed to avoid this last time by asking on here about running costs. Insurance isn't that bad but the cost and frequency of replacement of tyres for one had me falling over. An M3 owner I know paid £2.5k for a set of tyres. When two of my last four cars cost well under £2k that isn't steep, it's effing vertical!

Listen to your mechanic! Unless it's a chain: Quickfit, Halfords where they will say whatever to get you to do unnecessary work.

I'm being drawn on in these as well Pete. I wouldn't pay £50k or up for a car so I could watch it depreciate at upwards of £100 a week but when I see these in immaculate condition coming in at £20k, pretty much as good as new, well there is a pull.

I managed to avoid this last time by asking on here about running costs. Insurance isn't that bad but the cost and frequency of replacement of tyres for one had me falling over. An M3 owner I know paid £2.5k for a set of tyres. When two of my last four cars cost well under £2k that isn't steep, it's effing vertical!

There are some for less than 20k on Autotrader, but one is high mileage and one is an accident repair.

It's an astonishing car for the money, but my experience of fast Audis isn't too good. I bought a high mileage S4 which also has a 4.2 V8 and everything is so expensive. If you don't go with either Audi parts or even more expensive sporty parts, you can get issues.

For example, both cat boxes went on the twin exhaust system, I had a quote of 2k for a Milltek system, or £900 for just "a compatible system", so I'll give you one guess which I chose :rolleyes:

The net effect was a fluttering sound at high revs that was traced to an exhaust system that just wasn't up to scratch. You need to spend money on stuff for a 4.2 V8, you can't cut corners

Whilst drooling over photos of these RS4's, my eyes are drawn to the bright red brake calipers which brings me back to earth. Getting pads, calipers and or disks done on one of these cars will cost eye watering amounts.

I think ultimately my need to save for a house will take precedence, but I can dream. :)

I could perhaps buy one once I've bought a house, but then the problem is, I will have less cash to cover the increasing costs of a car that will be even older with more miles on the clock.

These cheap super cars look too good to be true, and of course they are. :(

But if you fire it up and walk around it giving it a clean, the burble from that V8 is something to behold. Only matched by the roar when you floor it.

It's a bit disappointing these are only available in manual, the S4 was auto and it was a dream to drive, especially as it whizzed up through the gears when you accelerate. On a motorway, it's as steady as an ocean liner, even up over *cough* mph.

Aye, if you find one that you trust then take his advice. Another of life's lessons learnt the hard way.