House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reraise

Let's Talk Cars

Bought a 99 focus from my old company for £1800 5 years ago. The 1.4 so cheap on fuel and tax. Change the oil myself and only needed the exhaust replacing. Still worth £800 today. Last year I bought a Lexus LS400 1999. No history but only 1 previous owner and in great condition, 123k on the clock. Big, comfy car, 50k new, electric everything, sat nav and pretty quick. Yes, it's thirsty (32mpg on a long run), but as I only did 3000 miles in it last year, it doesn't matter, and it has one of the worlds best engines, the ultra quiet 4 litre V8 1UZ-FE, . A helluva lot of car for £3000 and they are renowned for their reliability.

How many head gaskets?

None, and yes it's the British built K-Series (1400) My understanding is that if servicing is done correctly the first couple of times the gaskets won't blow. The head bolts which go right through the engine need tightening...

Btw, how's business?

My next car is going to be private leasing, get one of the superminis for around £120 a month including VAT on a 2 year contract, 10K miles a year. Or a Ford Fiesta 2011

for 3 years, £140 a month.

It costs more than a banger and you have nothing at the end of it but you do get a brand new car with no servicing costs or MOT and under warranty with 1 years tax.

One monthly bill and the only other cost is gap insurance, if someone crashes into you the people who leased it will want the full value, the insurance company will

pay the market value. It's about £100 a year I think. Edit: I got a quote for 3 years, £92 total cost or £30 a year.

Might seem expensive but I'm tired of driving 10 year old bangers, or 5 year old luxury saloons that cost a fortune in tyres, fuel, tax and servicing.

watch out on that GAP insurance. I've just got rid of a C1 on finance - it was either £109 or £123 a month with GAP and this GAP insurance was actually £450 lumped onto the finance with the car - separately accounted for. Ended the agreement a year early via webuyanycar and had to pay over £300 on this alone!!!

£3200 for my Astra 1.9 Diesel Sportshatch, 48K on clock, 57 Plate, this was the balloon payment on the loan my employer serviced for me for 3 years in our company scheme. The equivalent would be a FSH ex-fleet. Profit of Doom can say if it was good deal or not.

£3200 for my Astra 1.9 Diesel Sportshatch, 48K on clock, 57 Plate, this was the balloon payment on the loan my employer serviced for me for 3 years in our company scheme. The equivalent would be a FSH ex-fleet. Profit of Doom can say if it was good deal or not.

computer says yes :lol:

I check prices at this place http://www.whatcar.com/valuations normally pretty accurate imo

I know somebody else who follows Mr Pin's stratgey of buying something really smart very cheap at about 10 years old and, with a personalised plate on, everybody thinks he's driving an expensive motor when it actually cost about £3k.

£3k is about right Frank. One of my friends has a 20 year old Lexus, which is still running nicely! :):huh:

That sounds one cheap nag to me! Council Dweller,pretty much rubbish as you would expect.Had a really good December but quiet since then.They probably think that they have to pay the 20% VAT not me.

I don't see the point of laying down loads of cash on a daily driver - it ends up being more worry than pleasure as you're constantly nervous of some scrote scratching the paint in the supermarket car park.

Best buy for us was a 1 year old Alfa 156 - 3K on the clock, half price and it had all the toys, including the V6. That was 9 years ago, and it has needed the odd bit of suspension work, but nothing else. Goes like the clappers, comfortable and, thus far, reliable.

Buying bangers (unless you're good with a spanner) is likely to be painful. Buying something nearly new means that someone else is bearing the brunt of the depreciation, and then you keep it until it falls apart.

The bane of old cars was bodywork - this seems to be no longer a problem. Mechanical stuff is easy and cheap to fix. Most of the really expensive electronic bits can be picked up second hand for peanuts.

For an impractical week end toy, it isn't a financial question, it is whether you want it or not.

My new car just cost £522 :D

It's a W reg Rover 25 5 door hatch,1.4L with full 12 months mot, 96k on the clock and just had a cambelt change.

Will be cheap to run to/from work and if it doesnt pass another mot then after weighing it in the car will have cost something near £12 a month to drive.

There was a peugeot 406 that I was watching, R reg 148k on clock, 2.1dti, full year mot and tax till june - failed to get an opening bid of £50. After 12 months you could weigh that in and be in profit :D

My Lotus Elan Sprint, bought at three years old for £1300, sold after five years and a lot of miles cos a baby was on it's way for £2500, with a cracked chassis (the buyer knew). Brilliant car, wish I still had it. Probably get over £30K now if it was in decent nick, and with a GRP body and replaceable chassis, they last a long time.

I don't see the point of laying down loads of cash on a daily driver - it ends up being more worry than pleasure as you're constantly nervous of some scrote scratching the paint in the supermarket car park.

Best buy for us was a 1 year old Alfa 156 - 3K on the clock, half price and it had all the toys, including the V6. That was 9 years ago, and it has needed the odd bit of suspension work, but nothing else. Goes like the clappers, comfortable and, thus far, reliable.

Buying bangers (unless you're good with a spanner) is likely to be painful. Buying something nearly new means that someone else is bearing the brunt of the depreciation, and then you keep it until it falls apart.

The bane of old cars was bodywork - this seems to be no longer a problem. Mechanical stuff is easy and cheap to fix. Most of the really expensive electronic bits can be picked up second hand for peanuts.

For an impractical week end toy, it isn't a financial question, it is whether you want it or not.

Good choice....is that with a selespeed gearbox?

I guess I'm just lucky then.

The 1.6l and 1.8l versions of the engine were the problems, ask anyone who has owned a Freelander or an MGF. Rover just lied about their fixes.

Whilst I'm at it, avoid Volvos (C70, V70, S80 etc.) from 1999 to 2002ish (depending on model). Their ABS control modules and throttle bodies fail regularly. I've just replaced each twice in the past 9 months and it is apparently a common (and expensive) problem. The car is second hand, but I can tell from the code on the part that was in the car when we bought it that the throttle body had been replaced at least once before. One of the offending parts is made by Fiat, which should tell you everything you need to know. Needless to say, Volvo just lie about this problem too, though they were forced to guarantee the throttle body for 10 years in the US and do replacements for free...as far as the rest of the class actionless world is concerned, "it is an emissions issue."

The 1.6l and 1.8l versions of the engine were the problems, ask anyone who has owned a Freelander or an MGF. Rover just lied about their fixes.

Ah yes, the old Freelander and MGF, wouldn't touch one.

I wonder if the 'Chinese' MGF is any better?

My Lotus Elan Sprint, bought at three years old for £1300, sold after five years and a lot of miles cos a baby was on it's way for £2500, with a cracked chassis (the buyer knew). Brilliant car, wish I still had it. Probably get over £30K now if it was in decent nick, and with a GRP body and replaceable chassis, they last a long time.

One of the very few cars from the 60's-70's that is a genuine classic.

Bought a performance Audi at 3 years old and 20k miles for approx 18k.

Now at 8 years its done 120k. It's cost a lot, probably £750 pa to maintain. But I feel now that the depreciation has taken effect that I am left with a low value, but solid and reliably maintained car. If I was to sell it now I would lose all the benefit of servicing and maintaining it well for all those years. Unless something major goes like the engine or gearbox I don't see the point in selling it.

It's in great nick. The interior is great, great paintwork and it still goes like a bat.

Looking at an 8 year old 60k Fiat the other day there was no comparison. The Fiats engine, was, to put it bluntly, f*cked. I reckon my engine will be good for 200k and more if I take care of it.

Cars these days are so much better than they used to be. The only thing is self maintenance is nigh on impossible.

Cars these days are so much better than they used to be. The only thing is self maintenance is nigh on impossible.

It's possible but it is the rip out malfunctioning part and replace with new part type maintenance. While older parts were servicable. The fairings on my old CBR for instance have little small M3 bolts holding them in place and jubliee clips made of stainless holding various pipes together. The 2010 CBR has one use pop tabs to hold the fairing together to 'lower the weight' and the pipes are held together with single use plastic things that look like fatter one way cable ties which cannot be reused.

My new car just cost £522 :D

It's a W reg Rover 25 5 door hatch,1.4L with full 12 months mot, 96k on the clock and just had a cambelt change.

Will be cheap to run to/from work and if it doesnt pass another mot then after weighing it in the car will have cost something near £12 a month to drive.

There was a peugeot 406 that I was watching, R reg 148k on clock, 2.1dti, full year mot and tax till june - failed to get an opening bid of £50. After 12 months you could weigh that in and be in profit :D

scratch the rover.

he told me that the engine was searching a little when i called to arrange pick up. fking engine isnt searching it is fked. another chancer with a staple diet of curry :rolleyes:

None, and yes it's the British built K-Series (1400) My understanding is that if servicing is done correctly the first couple of times the gaskets won't blow. The head bolts which go right through the engine need tightening...

It's not just that: from what I remember there's some valve in the cooling system which gets stuck and then the engine overheats and you're looking at a 1,000 pound repair bill.

I owned one for a year and it needed two head gaskets and a new cylinder head in that time. Never again...

It's not just that: from what I remember there's some valve in the cooling system which gets stuck and then the engine overheats and you're looking at a 1,000 pound repair bill.

I owned one for a year and it needed two head gaskets and a new cylinder head in that time. Never again...

Mrs.P's cousin bought a 12000 mile MG-F and it needed a head gasket.By the time it turned 20k it had gone again.

Let's talk cars? OK.

Durrrrrrrr. Clunk. Brrrrmmmmm!!!!! Brrrrmmmm!

Baaaaaarrrrrrrrrmmm. Clunk. Baaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrmm!!!! Clunk. Baaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrmmmmmm. Nee-Nah-nee-nah.

Let's talk cars? OK.

Durrrrrrrr. Clunk. Brrrrmmmmm!!!!! Brrrrmmmm!

Baaaaaarrrrrrrrrmmm. Clunk. Baaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrmm!!!! Clunk. Baaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrmmmmmm. Nee-Nah-nee-nah.

Ah! The pursuit of Ye Olde Bureau.What larks.

watch out on that GAP insurance. I've just got rid of a C1 on finance - it was either £109 or £123 a month with GAP and this GAP insurance was actually £450 lumped onto the finance with the car - separately accounted for. Ended the agreement a year early via webuyanycar and had to pay over £300 on this alone!!!

If you feel this asnt explained to you or he literature was mis-leading, you may have a valid complaint and return of payments.

If you feel this asnt explained to you or he literature was mis-leading, you may have a valid complaint and return of payments.

Not surprised if you used Webuy..they pay about 50% market value,about as good a deal as Cash for Gold