House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tiger Woods?

Earthquake In New Zealand

Looks like there has been a shallow earthquake of magnitude 6.3 underneath Christchurch. Has done quite a bit of damage - much more than the magnitude 7.1 that struck the area late last year:

Earthquake kills 65+

I lived in NZ for 6 months at one stage. Lovely place, but completely geologically unstable. My then girlfriend lived in a house on the side of a "cliff" in Wellington, and it had been in the process of being restumped for years - it was sitting on piles of bricks. Probably "worth" NZ$600k these days. One good shake and...

Some of the earthquakes and eruptions of the 19th century would, if they occurred today, be absolutely devastating e.g. the Tarawera eruption in 1886 which made a new 6km lake and buried the surroundings in metres of mud and ash, or the Wellington earthquake of 1855 (magnitude of 8.2) which uplifted part of the harbour a few metres. The airport and CBD are now built on this land!

Looks like there has been a shallow earthquake of magnitude 6.3 underneath Christchurch. Has done quite a bit of damage - much more than the magnitude 7.1 that struck the area late last year:

Earthquake kills 65+

I lived in NZ for 6 months at one stage. Lovely place, but completely geologically unstable. My then girlfriend lived in a house on the side of a "cliff" in Wellington, and it had been in the process of being restumped for years - it was sitting on piles of bricks. Probably "worth" NZ$600k these days. One good shake and...

Some of the earthquakes and eruptions of the 19th century would, if they occurred today, be absolutely devastating e.g. the Tarawera eruption in 1886 which made a new 6km lake and buried the surroundings in metres of mud and ash, or the Wellington earthquake of 1855 (magnitude of 8.2) which uplifted part of the harbour a few metres. The airport and CBD are now built on this land!

Wellington is due an earthquake that will literally completely destroy it. Would happily, and have, lived there for periods. However long term ? Seems a bit mental.

Interesting watching all this stuff on TV about the NZ situation and all. I studied this at Uni - I knew it would come in use one day. :D

Interesting fact if anyone is bothered - it is the strength of these 2 plates pushing against each other that causes the NZ Alps to be the fastest growing range on Earth. And I didn't have to google for that.

Anyway..:ph34r:

But 'only' 3 miles deep, apparently, hence the horrific damage.

Few yrs ago we were in a 6.1 in Aceh (Indonesia) which was bloody scary, whole hotel room shaking like mad, but no damage and none of the locals took much notice. Must have been a lot less 'shallow', I guess.