House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Financial Services It Contractor Jobs Drop 79 Percent

Oops,

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/careers/3262029/financial-services-it-contractor-jobs-drop-79-percent/

Financial services IT contractor jobs drop 79 percent

Businesses are cautious about what non-core projects they invest in

By Anh Nguyen | Computerworld UK | Published 15:26, 21 February 11

The number of job offers made to IT contractors in the financial services industry fell by 79 percent in January, according to Powerchex.

In its latest monthly jobs report, the pre-employment screening firm said that the reduction from December was “worrying”.

Oops,

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/careers/3262029/financial-services-it-contractor-jobs-drop-79-percent/

The number of job offers made to IT contractors in the financial services industry fell by 79 percent in January, according to Powerchex.

In its latest monthly jobs report, the pre-employment screening firm said that the reduction from December was “worrying”.

That's very strange, as after a sparse year of contact, now I'm getting bombarded every day with jobs.

Oops,

Based on the contractors I've been interviewing, there's a lot of very average people who've been paid a lot for a while who talk a good game and are not finding work.

Oops,

http://www.computerw...rop-79-percent/

In its latest monthly jobs report, the pre-employment screening firm said that the reduction from December was "worrying".

How does Powerchex collate these stats? It doesn't say.

It sounds pretty normal to me. The snow at the beginning of December blocked public transport to the City for a couple of weeks, and blocked flights. Add to that Christmas, and the drop looks sensible.

2 weeks of snow and 2 weeks of Chrismas would block on recruitment.

There are genuine problems with cheap immigrants under cutting UK workers without a scare about snow and Christmas muddying the picture.

I guess they are just based on internal numbers from their business

So it's entirely possible that Powerchex business is tanking, because people aren't paying them for pre-contract screening - either they aren't bothering, or are getting it done somewhere else.

It sounds pretty normal to me. The snow at the beginning of December blocked public transport to the City for a couple of weeks, and blocked flights. Add to that Christmas, and the drop looks sensible.

2 weeks of snow and 2 weeks of Chrismas would block on recruitment.

There are genuine problems with cheap immigrants under cutting UK workers without a scare about snow and Christmas muddying the picture.

except this was not reproduced across job functions in the financial sector:

"IT contractors were only one of two financial sectors to experience the fall in appointments last month – the other was insurance, where there was an eight percent reduction from December to January."

Guest sillybear2

So it's entirely possible that Powerchex business is tanking, because people aren't paying them for pre-contract screening - either they aren't bothering, or are getting it done somewhere else.

Hrm, these banks might end up with a bunch of crooks working for them <_<

Hrm, these banks might end up with a bunch of crooks working for them <_<

That'd be dreadful wouldn't it? These people might not appreciate risk or just hand themselves massive bonuses saying they deserve them.

Seems like a load of jobs out there presently. I had one agent telling me he was having trouble finding people for jobs, and that he pays for referals.

Oops,

http://www.computerw...rop-79-percent/

In its latest monthly jobs report, the pre-employment screening firm said that the reduction from December was "worrying".

Sounds plausible - a lot of banks had a strong 2009 so ramped up on the back of that. 2010 was average to weak so they're now being more cautious. Also, the regulatory frenzy that followed 2007/2008 is abating somewhat leading to fewer audit inspired (and therefore not deferrable) projects.

I am getting lots of interest from banks in docklands - just have to get my head about working there again.

I am told that the banks are in the process of OKaying budgets for the new financial year and nothing will be confirmed until early April - expect a flood of contracts then.

Based on the contractors I've been interviewing, there's a lot of very average people who've been paid a lot for a while who talk a good game and are not finding work.

Does this not reflect the economy as a whole? Maybe employers are starting to look beyond the flash suits and veneer smiles.

Depends on the skills you interview for. What are you looking for?

In my area there is 'unprecedented' demand according to a few agents who have contacted me.

And nice to see this survey is pretty much based on the City of London. If anyone had any sense they would be making a beeline for Edinburgh where there is masses of work - not enough bods - and in my field at least - day rates comparible or actually BETTER than I would get in 'The City'.

Oops,

Meanwhile over in Telco I'm on £800 a day and being bombarded with offers ;) and the GF just had a rate rise over at 3. Happy days.

Edited by Soul Reaver

In my area there is 'unprecedented' demand according to a few agents who have contacted me.

And nice to see this survey is pretty much based on the City of London. If anyone had any sense they would be making a beeline for Edinburgh where there is masses of work - not enough bods - and in my field at least - day rates comparible or actually BETTER than I would get in 'The City'.

Doing what in Edinburgh? BI seems to be a strong point but there is sod all c# work up there.

That'd be dreadful wouldn't it? These people might not appreciate risk or just hand themselves massive bonuses saying they deserve them.

Seems like a load of jobs out there presently. I had one agent telling me he was having trouble finding people for jobs, and that he pays for referals.

Agent said same thing to me the other day - first time it's ever happened IIRC. Certainly my area (website stuff) is booming right now.

Maybe we should treat "surveys" from recruitment agents with the same suspicion that we give "surveys" from estate agents?

define "very average".

Do you mean with an average skill set or with average ability

tim