House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hyperduck Quack Quack

Anti Eu Tories Want To Force European Time On Us - Why?

I heard today the the government wants to press ahead with introducing European time in the UK, which would mean going to work / school in the dark for three months of the year. Apparently this is desirable to attract more tourists from Europe !!!

We had British Standard Time in the late 1960's, everyone hated the dark winter mornings - going to school assembly in the dark, sitting through the first lesson of the day in twilight. It was horrible - that's why BST was abandoned - people hated it.

So why is this Tory government, which is decidedly Eurosceptic, pushing ahead with this. It wasn't in their manifesto, was it?

Surely it would be much more helpful to tourists if we adopted the Euro, something which we should have done years ago. A common currency would be a lot more worthwhile than adopting a common timeszone - we're further west than most of the rest of Europe, so the dark mornings are going to last that much longer here. OK, Spain and Portugal are due south of us, but since they are nearer the equator they experience less annual variation in day-length than we do.

Don't change the daylight hours times - it was an unpopular disaster last time and it will be again.

Portugal and Ireland are also on the same time as us at present - and aren't they in the EU?

Why not address the issue - more daylight in the evenings and less in the mornings means:

less energy use (as the whole country is up and about at 4pm 7 days a weeK)

100+ fewer deaths on the road each year (and fewer injuries) - which is why the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents wants it

better for tourism - which is why the tourist industry supports it (as tourists are up and about at 4pm - not 7am)

and yes - we would be on the same time zone as most of our biggest trading partners.

I don't care what timezone Berlin is in - I care what works best for the UK!

Why not address the issue - more daylight in the evenings and less in the mornings means:

less energy use (as the whole country is up and about at 4pm 7 days a weeK)

100+ fewer deaths on the road each year (and fewer injuries) - which is why the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents wants it

better for tourism - which is why the tourist industry supports it (as tourists are up and about at 4pm - not 7am)

and yes - we would be on the same time zone as most of our biggest trading partners.

I don't care what timezone Berlin is in - I care what works best for the UK!

People who are promoting the lighter evenings in the winter months leave out the other side of the equation, which is darker mornings - commuters travelling to work in the dark and children travelling to school in the dark. I remember what it was like when they did this before - people hated it and (if I remember right) accidents rose.

When I commuted to work by road, my general observation was that the standard of driving in the morning, when people are on their way to work, is worse than in the evenings when they're on their way home. Add to that that in winter it's more likely to be foggy and icy in the mornings than in the early evenings and I can't see how it's possible that the change will reduce accidents.

When we had British Standard Time between 1968 and 1971, the accident statistics showed that there were fewer accidents in the evenings but more in the mornings, which is exactly what might be predicted. The drop in evening accidents was greater than the morning rise, but during the time of the BST experiment the drink driving limit and the breathaliser were introduced, so that could well have skewed the evening accident statistics.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I heard today the the government wants to press ahead with introducing European time in the UK, which would mean going to work / school in the dark for three months of the year. Apparently this is desirable to attract more tourists from Europe !!!

We had British Standard Time in the late 1960's, everyone hated the dark winter mornings - going to school assembly in the dark, sitting through the first lesson of the day in twilight. It was horrible - that's why BST was abandoned - people hated it.

So why is this Tory government, which is decidedly Eurosceptic, pushing ahead with this. It wasn't in their manifesto, was it?

Surely it would be much more helpful to tourists if we adopted the Euro, something which we should have done years ago. A common currency would be a lot more worthwhile than adopting a common timeszone - we're further west than most of the rest of Europe, so the dark mornings are going to last that much longer here. OK, Spain and Portugal are due south of us, but since they are nearer the equator they experience less annual variation in day-length than we do.

Don't change the daylight hours times - it was an unpopular disaster last time and it will be again.

One of the things I hate about the UK is the dark evenings so I'm in favour, though I won't be going back there unless I have to.

It was inevitable anyway after UK-EU trade became larger than UK-US, who do you think controls the country?

My kids start school here at 8am, that's pretty dark in midwinter and they seem to manage OK.

Another factor is that daytime lorry drivers, in particular, tend to begin and end their working days early - like 7.30 to 4 or similar. If the times are changed , a the amount of total lorry mileage done in the dark will increase - hardly a safety plus.

Also changing the times is likely to be costly, and will inevitably be followed by an equally costly change back again after a few years due to public pressure.

My kids start school here at 8am, that's pretty dark in midwinter and they seem to manage OK.
Yes, I managed OK too when I was a kid between 1969 and 1971, but that didn't mean I or anyone else I knew liked the dark mornings. It was just depressing, it got the whole day off to a depressing start. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Another factor is that daytime lorry drivers, in particular, tend to begin and end their working days early - like 7.30 to 4 or similar. If the times are changed , a the amount of total lorry mileage done in the dark will increase - hardly a safety plus.

Also changing the times is likely to be costly, and will inevitably be followed by an equally costly change back again after a few years due to public pressure.

Yes, I managed OK too when I was a kid between 1969 and 1971, but that didn't mean I or anyone else I knew liked the dark mornings. It was just depressing, it got the whole day off to a depressing start.

I was a kid starting school then, don't remember it being dark or depressing.

Look on the bright side, summer evenings will be fabulous (in the admittedly unlikely scenario of the UK getting some decent weather).

I was a kid starting school then, don't remember it being dark or depressing.

Look on the bright side, summer evenings will be fabulous (in the admittedly unlikely scenario of the UK getting some decent weather).

At the moment in the middle of winter, on a dull day, it's barely light at 8 am. If they move the clocks forward that will be the situation at 9 am.

Now they're saying that the UK might be divided into two time zones, since the Scots don't like the idea of moving the clocks forward.

A few months ago weren't the Scots calling for their own time zone, with...guess what...... the clocks being moved forward?.

So it looks like the Scots, or some of them, are really just trying to be different from the English!

The big divide regarding this time change argument is probably not geographical at all but psychological. People who are night-owls and habitually stay up until the early hours will probably want the clocks put forward, but early birds like myself who like to be up and about and about nice and early probably won't want out times messed with.