House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

Radio 2 Discussion (Vine): Second Child - Could You Not Afford To Have One?

Radio 2 Discussion (Vine): Second Child - Could you not afford to have one?

No, Jeremy, because house prices / housing costs are too high!

Another media opportunity for us @ 1.30pm today.

Let's keep planting those seeds!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jeremy-vine/

Call: 0500 288291

Text: 88291

Email: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jeremy-vine/contact/

Edit: F! - Guest presenter Vanessa Feltz. They're gonna make us work for this one!!

Edited by GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

This is on now. Looks like it was on at 1pm.

I've just tuned in and heard a classic boomer comment "I think the current generation is just too selfish only wanting 1 child. We managed to have 2 children and both work. I know child care is expensive but they're just making excuses".

Ladies and gentlemen: our parents. We never had it so good.

Can't afford a 3rd as i don't get child benefit, and i'm too busy working to pay tax to fund child benefit for people with a much bigger household income than me.

It's part of Cameron's master plan to systematically target families with a single main wage earner brining in circa £50k.

I will confess to be unsure as to why this is the plan, but it appears to be the plan nevertheless.

As I said to the wife yesterday, there's never a right time to have another

what he said ^^^

If you wait for the financial conditions to be perfect, your biological functions will have upped sticks and ******ed off (unless you're rod stewart)

Get stuck in and muddle on

For most couples with kids, the mortgage is a minor cost compared to full-time childcare anyways. And a childcare bill is like the terminator, it can't be bargained with, it can't be stopped, it must be paid, in full, on time, every month. Compare that to a mortgage where the term can be increased, with the option to go interest-only for a while, payment holidays etc - the big 'if' is possibly that an extra kid reequires an extra bedroom hence a bigger house, but quite frankly, they're children, tell them to shut up and share a room until they're at school, by then the nursery bills will have dropped and you can afford to move if it's still necessary.

I will confess to be unsure as to why this is the plan, but it appears to be the plan nevertheless.

Ditto. As someone else recently put it, its like they want to cap the working classes to know their place.

what he said ^^^

If you wait for the financial conditions to be perfect, your biological functions will have upped sticks and ******ed off (unless you're rod stewart)

Get stuck in and muddle on

For most couples with kids, the mortgage is a minor cost compared to full-time childcare anyways. And a childcare bill is like the terminator, it can't be bargained with, it can't be stopped, it must be paid, in full, on time, every month. Compare that to a mortgage where the term can be increased, with the option to go interest-only for a while, payment holidays etc - the big 'if' is possibly that an extra kid reequires an extra bedroom hence a bigger house, but quite frankly, they're children, tell them to shut up and share a room until they're at school, by then the nursery bills will have dropped and you can afford to move if it's still necessary.

See fluffy's post. I don't have a child care bill and it seems that David Cameron doesn't like thta.

Edited by daiking