House Price Crash Forum

I'm working with the TV on in the background. This is what I've just heard:

'How did Ireland go from being one of the richest countries in the world to the brink of bankruptcy? tonight on Panorama at 9.00'.

'Next up, Homes Under the Hammer'.

'How did Ireland go from being one of the richest countries in the world to the brink of bankruptcy? tonight on Panorama at 9.00'.

:lol:

Jesus wept.

The answer of course is that it was never really rich. The money wasn't there; built on debt, built on sand, built on fantasy economics.

There but for the grace of God go us!

The answer of course is that it was never really rich. The money wasn't there; built on debt, built on sand, built on fantasy economics.

There but for the grace of God go us!

Fantasy economics indeed. My sister-in-law has an Irish friend who we've met a few times. She had been running an extremely successful business and when business started tailing off, what did she do? Bought five brand new buy-to-let flats in Dublin, now she's at risk of losing her own home. The mortgages far exceed any potential rental income - all the Eastern Europeans that came over for the building boom have long since gone home. She can't sell them because at even half the price she bought them at, there are no takers.

I can't feel any sympathy for her situation. When she bought the buy-to-let flats, she could have bought two of them outright. Instead she opted for five with borrowed money and now can't service her loans. If she'd bought two, sure she would have lost money but her own home wouldn't have been at risk. Greed.

That is the funniest thing I've heard all day (okay, it is early)...

Can I repost this on a BBC blog? Hilarious.

Fantasy economics indeed. My sister-in-law has an Irish friend who we've met a few times. She had been running an extremely successful business and when business started tailing off, what did she do? Bought five brand new buy-to-let flats in Dublin, now she's at risk of losing her own home. The mortgages far exceed any potential rental income - all the Eastern Europeans that came over for the building boom have long since gone home. She can't sell them because at even half the price she bought them at, there are no takers.

I can't feel any sympathy for her situation. When she bought the buy-to-let flats, she could have bought two of them outright. Instead she opted for five with borrowed money and now can't service her loans. If she'd bought two, sure she would have lost money but her own home wouldn't have been at risk. Greed.

It seems to be a common misconception that leverage only makes you rich and it cannot in any circumstances whatsoever make you poor.

Nooooo!

Not greed - áspiration'.

Greed is a sin and if one indulges in it as a Christian, one isn't going to heaven.

God says it's OK to aspire though - so greed has been replaced by aspiration.

Spot in heaven therefore assured.

Same goes for envy - now rebadged also under the aspiration banner and therefore acceptable to the big (wo)man.

That is the funniest thing I've heard all day (okay, it is early)...

PANOR-AMA

"Everyone knows that evil spirits can be summoned through evil and profane practices (similar to those that Gnostic magicians used to engage in, according to Psellus), and filthy abominations would occur in their presence, as during the rites of Priapus in times past or in the worship of the idol named Panor to whom one sacrificed having bared shameful parts.

Nor is any different from this (if only it is truth and not fiction) what we read about the detestable heresy of the Knights Templar, as well as similar notions have been established about witches, whose senile woomanish dementia is often caught causing them to wander astray into shameful deeds of the same variety."

PANOR-AMA

"Everyone knows that evil spirits can be summoned through evil and profane practices (similar to those that Gnostic magicians used to engage in, according to Psellus), and filthy abominations would occur in their presence, as during the rites of Priapus in times past or in the worship of the idol named Panor to whom one sacrificed having bared shameful parts.

Nor is any different from this (if only it is truth and not fiction) what we read about the detestable heresy of the Knights Templar, as well as similar notions have been established about witches, whose senile woomanish dementia is often caught causing them to wander astray into shameful deeds of the same variety."

Blimey! Give it a rest!

Blimey! Give it a rest!

If you do the research there is/was a Scottish masonic off-shoot (lords, lairds and other high officials belonged) who whilst they 'met' stripped & bared their meat and two veg during the whole of their lodge meetings. :rolleyes:

The British Bull*hit Corporation is one big Idiot feed back loop.

:lol:

TCZW7YHWJUKWFZNHWZK32TSFDT6ILWIQ_.jpg

Guest sillybear2

Blimey! Give it a rest!

The ancient mesopotamian tradition of buying somebody a bed during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar, usually a hammock in the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

I'll bet you only 1/1000 people spot that.

If they'd had an anti smoking poster there as well they'd have got a full house.

(for adult obesity though)

Edited by billybong