House Price Crash Forum

Dubai Crashing Amid Middle East Unrest?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Wait till all those Brits come flooding home... I am still seeing IT jobs advertised out in the Middle East... all seems a tad risky at present...

Many Brits who bought 'property' in Dubai did it off-plan off a catalogue during some selling event in some posh central London Hotel, without ever having visited the location or even Dubai... (I know some who did this)

HOLA446
HOLA447

Me too. Does it even exist? I have my doubts.

I know a guy who owns 7 lux appartments is Ajman (Emirate near Dubai). Bought off plan in 07, still just a patch of sand and the developer has stopped even asking for further payments.

However one of the advantages Dubai has is its relative safety and stability is a very unstable region. It attracts a lot of educated and highly skilled Arabs, Persians and people from Pakistan ect who don't want to or can't get to the west. It also attracts the ritch from all these countries. I'm sure it will do very well from recent events as a brain and capital drain takes place. I imagine recent events would put up prime dubai real estate, Jumeirah beach ect

Edited by Ben is Back

HOLA448

I know a guy who owns 7 lux appartments is Ajman (Emirate near Dubai). Bought off plan in 07, still just a patch of sand and the developer has stopped even asking for further payments.

However one of the advantages Dubai has is its relative safety and stability is a very unstable region. It attracts a lot of educated and highly skilled Arabs, Persians and people from Pakistan ect who don't want to or can't get to the west. It also attracts the ritch from all these countries. I'm sure it will do very well from recent events as a brain and capital drain takes place. I imagine recent events would put up prime dubai real estate, Jumeirah beach ect

Unless instability spreads to Dubai. Iran are said to be flexing their muscles in the gulf.

HOLA449

Unless instability spreads to Dubai. Iran are said to be flexing their muscles in the gulf.

From my understanding of Dubai that is unlikely. My understanding is that the only possibility of any unrest would be if the imported labourers were to revolt, Apparently there are 1000's of them with no passports and no money. But they would either be cut down or chucked out ..

HOLA4410

My worries would be..

- Lack of rule of law. Fundamentally, if you fall foul or get in the way of the locals, you are in trouble with little recourse.

- Lack of sustainability. This isn't some minor complaint; when you need things like air conditioning, desalination and all-imported food just to survive, things could get extremely nasty very quickly.

-

HOLA4411

Very unlikely. The nationals are very well looked after and have no reason to revolt. As mentioned though the imported workers might revolt but they would just be suppressed and deported. The majority of imported workers, at least in the service sector, are well paid and looked after well and seem very happy to be in the UAE.

HOLA4412

Dubai is where Iran washes its money and a lot of its trade is basically a front for getting round Iranian sanctions. (when Abu-Dhabi bailed out Dubai the rumor was that they did it as a way of stopping them going to Tehran.) No chance what so ever of Iran thretening Dubai.

The only chance of it spreading would be internal. It was interesting to read about the Chinese workers protesting in Saudi. It is not imposible to imagine something like this 'rocking' dubai a bit but since foreign workers have no citizenship or rights of any kind and can be easily replaced regime change is not likely. The locals are all very happy with the 'regime'. wouldn't you be if you were guaranteed to be rich and not have to work for life!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

If it can kick off in Bahrain it can kick off anywhere in the ME

Not True - Bahrain is a very different place from Kuwait, Qatar and the UAE, which I think there is 0 chance of anything'kicking off'

Bahrain has a large population of local nationals, doesn't have the hugh natural resources and wealth of other gulf states. In bahrain Taxi drivers and shop workers ect are oftern Bahraini UAE / Qatar ect this is never the case. Additionally it has the shia / Suni issue which has been well reported.

what you say is true in the sense that I can't see fellow GCC members (most notably Saudi) allowing anything in Bahrain to kick-off in a too serious sort of a way.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The majority of imported workers, at least in the service sector, are well paid and looked after well and seem very happy to be in the UAE.

That is absolutely not true. the majority of imported workers (apart from westerners) are treated like slaves, they have no rights whatsoever and often their passports are confiscated as soon as they arrive.

HOLA4418

I'd say take it - live somewhere cheap, avoid all the consumerist money traps and save loads of cash. You can then finally get on the ladder with a studio flat shared equity scheme in a former sink estate in Swansea

Dubai is not cheap at all, yes salaries are good (for highly qualified people) but rents are very high too.

Also Dubai is a monument to consumerism, to all things fake and artificial, worse than even Las Vegas.

HOLA4419

Is there any word on how our favourite foreign property investment hotspot is faring amid unrest in the region?

It sure would be a shame to see all those nice property investors lose their wisely invested nesteggs.

" The World is sinking: Dubai islands 'falling into the sea' - Telegraph, 20 Jan 2011 "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/8271643/The-World-is-sinking-Dubai-islands-falling-into-the-sea.html

dubai-world_1684940c.jpg

HOLA4420

Dubai is not cheap at all, yes salaries are good (for highly qualified people) but rents are very high too.

Also Dubai is a monument to consumerism, to all things fake and artificial, worse than even Las Vegas.

Can't see myself going there. Europe has more interesting opportunities and quality of life at the moment.

HOLA4421

Rents are not as high as they were. And there are some places that are cheap as they were built to house the expected ever growing population (who then all left, dumbing their cars at the air port). share a flat in the Marina or Satwa areas, avoid spinneys and if you need it buy your alcohol from the philipino guy who will come nocking on your door. A single person could quite comfortably live off £800 a month and the rest would be saving.

HOLA4422

Rents are not as high as they were. And there are some places that are cheap as they were built to house the expected ever growing population (who then all left, dumbing their cars at the air port). share a flat in the Marina or Satwa areas, avoid spinneys and if you need it buy your alcohol from the philipino guy who will come nocking on your door. A single person could quite comfortably live off £800 a month and the rest would be saving.

IMHO only vacuous superficial people could actually enjoy life in Dubai.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My worries would be..

- Lack of rule of law. Fundamentally, if you fall foul or get in the way of the locals, you are in trouble with little recourse.

Absolutely key.

Head for the US.

Their bankers have put the rule of law in doubt, but as Homer Simpson said about his suckling pig, "It's still good, it's just a little dirty".