House Price Crash Forum

Time To Put In Offers Of 20% Below

exiges

HOLA441

With all this talk of "houses are set to drop by 20%", rather than waiting for it to happen, surely it's time to go viewing houses but put in offers of 20% under, providing the EA / Vendor with justification from the varied articles predicting such a fall.

You may get lucky, if not you've set a marker.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I was in an EA office this week and overhead a telephone call where the agent refused to put in the offer that a potential buyer had just given them on the phone.

The agent said "There is simply no point in putting that in!". So the silly girl is acting like a dam to low offers.

I had one agent say to me unless you are willing to offer full asking theres no point in viewing!!!!!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I was in an EA office this week and overhead a telephone call where the agent refused to put in the offer that a potential buyer had just given them on the phone.

The agent said "There is simply no point in putting that in!". So the silly girl is acting like a dam to low offers.

Isn't that against the law? I thought they had to pass on all offers and it is for the vendor to decide.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Isn't the EA legally obliged to inform the vendor of every offer? Even if the vendor has already told them to reject anything under £X amount... I still think he has to pass it on.

HOLA4413

Isn't the EA legally obliged to inform the vendor of every offer? Even if the vendor has already told them to reject anything under £X amount... I still think he has to pass it on.

Yes, that may be the legal requirement but do - some - they hell? Who is going to Police that.

I am convinced that some EAs are a big dam to house prices crashing because they simply refuse to put across low offers.

HOLA4414

I say wait for the 20% falls then put in offers 20% below that. No point creating false interest.

Saying that, I have been considering a viewing on house I like, 20% off would probably do it for me. But it would be be a time wasting viewing. Id have no intention of offering.

HOLA4415

With all this talk of "houses are set to drop by 20%", rather than waiting for it to happen, surely it's time to go viewing houses but put in offers of 20% under, providing the EA / Vendor with justification from the varied articles predicting such a fall.

Spot on. In fact, why not 30%? I often do, well, half a dozen times. If nothing else it seriously undermines vendor confidence, no bad thing, and, as you say, you may get lucky. Welcome to the militant wing of the HPC. Better than a talking shop.

HOLA4416

I hope you thanked him for not wasting your time further then.

That's my view.

I found a house about 3 months ago that would have been perfect for me. It had dropped 15%, and I rang up the agent and told them that I couldn't offer the asking price but could offer them 15% off the new price (30% total drop from initial asking).

Agent (quite politely) told me that someone else had made a similar offer and that the owners had rejected it point blank.

I thanked him for his time and asked him to let me know if any similar properties come up at my price point.

I didn't see any point getting upset or blaming the agent.. he knows the vendors, he obviously wants to make a sale if he can. The house remains unsold today.

I may ring up in a few months to see if the owners expectations have shifted. I may not. It might even sell. No point getting attached to a particular property. Just move on or wait.

Edited by libspero

HOLA4417

Very dangerous in my opinion.

Your offer might be accepted. <_<

I'm giving up viewing for this very reason. My offers are now being taken seriously. I'm not used to it and I don't like it.

It's the opposite of an episode of location x3. I put in an offer start thinking negative thoughts. It gets worse the longer they take to get back to us. Then the phone rings " I'm sorry your offe" "Ok, thanks for calling bye." pheww close one.

I am serious about buying but head and heart don't agree.

My viewings have not been a waste of time as some offers have pushed vendors to re think and re price.

HOLA4418

I'm giving up viewing for this very reason. My offers are now being taken seriously. I'm not used to it and I don't like it.

It's the opposite of an episode of location x3. I put in an offer start thinking negative thoughts. It gets worse the longer they take to get back to us. Then the phone rings " I'm sorry your offe" "Ok, thanks for calling bye." pheww close one.

My viewings have not been a waste of time as some offers have pushed vendors to re think and re price.

Time to lower your offers!

HOLA4419

I was in an EA office this week and overhead a telephone call. The agent said "There is simply no point in putting that in!". The silly girl..

She might have been on the phone to her boyfriend about a disappointing session the night before...

HOLA4420

Haven't put in any offers myself, but can fully understand your situation!

I think if you don't have a serious case of the willies when offering on a huge investment then something's wrong ;)

HOLA4421

Most of the stuff around my way is coming on at 2007 + 10%.

LR stats show HP's are 12% lower now, than 2007 nationaly, so offering 20% below, you're still 2% over.

I'll sit with my popcorn and watch the fun begin, wouldn't even bother at the moment, give it another 6 to 10 months if your desperate to buy.

Otherwise lay back and ride the wave to the shore. :)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Two identical properties on a street, let''s say both for sale at £240k.

Property A. They'd like to move but they don't have to move. Property down the road sold for £250k in 2007 so they're being "reasonable" asking £240k. The EA recommended £240k (ignore the fact the other two EA's said £220k and £210k) and he's a professional at this game. Plus they "need" £240k to get the necessary deposit for the house they want to buy.

Property B. It's a repossession or a probate sale.

The chances of securing property A at -20% is virtually nil. The vendors would rather withdraw it than accept so much less than their ex-neighbour actually obtained, it would make them feel stupid and inept, in fact it would haunt them. And besides, they're not hagglers (that's what foreigners do, not us) so they have no appetite for projecting a similar discount onto the house they want.

But -20% on property B? Yes, possible, maybe not today but soon.

Moral of story. Find property B.

HOLA4424

We viewed a house up at £490k towards the end of last year, made an offer of £390k and the EA wasn't at all offended. They explained they had a slightly higher offer from elsewhere and we said "fair enough" and moved on.

We've also had repeated calls from the sales office of a nearby new build saying they'll "consider offers" on a plot which we are interested in - (well I would be if they knocked £100k off!). I'm holding out for a while but may try a few "OK, how about X, with stamp duty paid?" offers. Frankly if it's the right house, I'm happy to pay over the odds rather than wait 2-3 more years for those last £k off. Six years of renting is enough, and we're getting itchy feet.

HOLA4425