House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

2% Inflation Target And Your Water Bill Is Going To Up By?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8335558/Millions-face-inflation-busting-rise-in-water-bills-as-charges-set-to-break-500-barrier.html

Millions of households face an inflation-busting rise in water bills this week, with some increasing by up to 8.5 per cent.

The hikes will mean some average annual charges are likely to exceed £500 for the first time. Ofwat will set water and sewerage bills for England and Wales on Friday, with new prices taking effect from April.

The average annual charge across the 10 major companies are expected to jump by £20 from £364 to £384.

The increases come on top of recent surges in gas and electricity bills as well as the cost of food and drink, and at a time when many household incomes are stagnating as a result of wage freezes.

South West Water bills – already the highest – are likely to see the biggest increase, from an average of £487 to an £527, while Northumbrian Water bills are expected to rise by 8.5 per cent, adding an £27 to the average bill of £311.

The sharp rises are driven by high inflation. Ofwat set five-year limits to price increases in 2009, but these allow for annual April increases based on the Retail Price Index (RPI) inflation rate the preceding November.

Someone just needs to adjust the weighting for water in calculating the inflation figures. Easy, it's not like water is an essential commodity.

Viva low inflation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8335558/Millions-face-inflation-busting-rise-in-water-bills-as-charges-set-to-break-500-barrier.html

Someone just needs to adjust the weighting for water in calculating the inflation figures. Easy, it's not like water is an essential commodity.

Viva low inflation.

Well it's been a month or two but...I can remember how this goes...

PRINTY PRINTY!!!

Viva low inflation.

I think water is one of those you don't need to worry about like Gas, electricity, petrol, food and so on.

So long as you own your home and it doubles in value every five years, your ok.

Viva low inflation.

Tell the water Company to sod off That you no longer require there service,They cannot turn you water off. Do not pay they are all mostly French owned.

Edited by barrabus

25 years ago first home was earning £13k per year night shift in a factory .

1st years water bill £40

Today a years water bill £400

I dought if I was still working the night shift in that factory I would be earning £130k.

Well it's been a month or two but...I can remember how this goes...

PRINTY PRINTY!!!

You know what omes after PRINTY PRINTY in these globalised, labour arbitraged situations don't you?

SKINTY SKINTY!!!

25 years ago first home was earning £13k per year night shift in a factory .

1st years water bill £40

Today a years water bill £400

I dought if I was still working the night shift in that factory I would be earning £130k.

I bet plenty of night shifts still fail to break £13K.

What irritates me is that along with a bill for hundreds of pounds for supplying water to my tiny two-bedroomed flat, they send a leaflet telling me that for an extra two pounds they can supply an entire African village with water.

What irritates me is that along with a bill for hundreds of pounds for supplying water to my tiny two-bedroomed flat, they send a leaflet telling me that for an extra two pounds they can supply an entire African village with water.

:lol:

There's a stand up comedian somewhere missing that gag.

Tell the water Company to sod off That you no longer require there service,They cannot turn you water off. Do not pay they are all mostly French owned.

A nice lady from the water company actually told me the exact same thing this a few years back when I was setting up my account! Of course it won't do your credit record any good, but if you want to not pay for something and still get it for free (because it's seen as a basic human right and as essential for the health and hygiene of the nation), then water is the first thing you want to strike off on the bills list.

I bet plenty of night shifts still fail to break £13K.

Yes there was a job recently on Total jobs website night shift pickers and packers £6.50 per hour.

Christmas before last BHS wanted night shift shelf filling staff . NMW + the grand sum of 0.16 per hour unsocial hours payment.

Yes there was a job recently on Total jobs website night shift pickers and packers £6.50 per hour.

Christmas before last BHS wanted night shift shelf filling staff . NMW + the grand sum of 0.16 per hour unsocial hours payment.

I were doing it for minimum, I quit because I couldn't get any overtime and make myself better off than on the dole laugh.gif

I were doing it for minimum, I quit because I couldn't get any overtime and make myself better off than on the dole laugh.gif

The whole system is fu--ked . These jobs are a joke and they expect people to do them.

A young girl near here came form a dysfunctional family , loads of kids , stepdads, abuse, drink , drugs ect.

She worked in a supermarket low wages but deemed earning enough to pay income tax and NI. Social workers were invloved with her family and herself . After a time she was allocated a one bed flat . She was over the moon , but after moving in realised she could not pay the rent and the new tax she had to pay Council Tax on her take home pay. She returned to the dysfunctional family and her words were.

" if I had got pregenant they would have given me a two bed flat rent and council tax free plus money to live on I did the right thing and turn out worse for it. "

No wonder so many other young women do get pregenant !! Who can blame them with this stupid system . They say work put penelise people who do it.

They wouldn't really be "supplying" the water for that money. They will just dig a well and the villagers will have to collect it (and purify it) for themselves

tim

They wouldn't really be "supplying" the water for that money. They will just dig a well and the villagers will have to collect it (and purify it) for themselves

tim

No, really?

Next you'll be telling me that if a cat hit a mouse with a poker, it wouldn't really leave a mouse-shaped indent in the poker. :rolleyes:

I already don't pay sewerage as I have a septic tank and drain field.

I also have an old well under the kitchen window. If these bills get any more silly, it may be time to investigate. Does anyone have experience with using a ground water supply?