House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bpw

Is Now The Time For A Facebook Hpc Revolution

The HPC website has provided a remarkable forum for like minds to share thoughts and grow knowledge. Thanks whoever you are!

But is now the time to take our concerns to Facebook? Can we emulate the success of the Egyptians and Tunisians and take our important message to a wider audience?

For the past 5 or 6 years I have shared my belief in the existence of intergenerational wealth transfer from young to old, many didn't believe, and I coined the term 'mothers and fathers are stealing from their sons and daughters'. After a few yeas of silence, ridicule, and aided by my odd irascible comment, it's started to look like most of you are seeing how true this is. We can debate the causes, but the effects are now right in front of our faces. Young people are being cheated by old people and our children now face 20% unemployment, eroded state pensions, and bills that pay off todays pension and medical bills when those benefits are unlikely to be free when we retire. Our parents should be ashamed not defiant.

A significant change of policy and finance will not happen without a crisis and by then you will all have been robbed. The only way of making change happen is to share your concerns with the tens of millions of people under the age or 47 (remember Lord Turners report). Once they have are connected and sharing ideas we'll see a very different response from the old liars running the BBC et al.

Completely agree with your sentiments.

Time has come to do something other than moan online.

The HPC website has provided a remarkable forum for like minds to share thoughts and grow knowledge. Thanks whoever you are!

But is now the time to take our concerns to Facebook? Can we emulate the success of the Egyptians and Tunisians and take our important message to a wider audience?

For the past 5 or 6 years I have shared my belief in the existence of intergenerational wealth transfer from young to old, many didn't believe, and I coined the term 'mothers and fathers are stealing from their sons and daughters'. After a few yeas of silence, ridicule, and aided by my odd irascible comment, it's started to look like most of you are seeing how true this is. We can debate the causes, but the effects are now right in front of our faces. Young people are being cheated by old people and our children now face 20% unemployment, eroded state pensions, and bills that pay off todays pension and medical bills when those benefits are unlikely to be free when we retire. Our parents should be ashamed not defiant.

A significant change of policy and finance will not happen without a crisis and by then you will all have been robbed. The only way of making change happen is to share your concerns with the tens of millions of people under the age or 47 (remember Lord Turners report). Once they have are connected and sharing ideas we'll see a very different response from the old liars running the BBC et al.

Hello bpw.

This is not to try to change your mind, which is clearly way past the point of no return, although time itself will eventually teach you a sharp lesson. As they say, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks (I presume you are “under the age or 47”. And also that you meant “of”. Never mind, we all make mistakes, especially as we get older).

This reply is intended for those more open minds who may be willing to weigh some facts before becoming entrenched in their views. And in the interests of balance, and rationality.

When my parents embraced the Thatcherite principle of the Property Owning Democracy their only desire was to own their own place. They found it more attractive than paying rent. They certainly did not see it as some long term investment. Neither had they any deeply held political convictions. Yet you condemn them, somewhat hysterically, as having stolen from their children. Their most likely future is in care, paid for, you guessed it, by the sale of the house, although they would like to have bequeathed it instead. So I have a question, how have they stolen from me?

Millions of people have willingly been drawn into a lifetime of debt, literally slaving away, to pay for a house which will be taken off them as the end approaches, to pay for their final years.

“Young people are being cheated by old people and our children now face 20% unemployment, eroded state pensions, and bills that pay off todays pension and medical bills when those benefits are unlikely to be free when we retire. Our parents should be ashamed not defiant.”

Another question, bpw, in this quote, are you the young people who are being cheated, or are you the children facing 20% unemployment? They surely are the young. And are you confident these children will be willing to pay your medical bills when you retire? You sound not so very far from being one of the old people you condemn. It’s a bit of a slippery concept, a bit subjective.

Money does not flow from the young to the old, it flows from the poor to the rich. Always has, always will. Who benefits from banks lending money to house buyers? The rich. Who benefits from rising property prices? The rich. Who benefits from granny farming? You’re getting the idea. Who gets rich from people pumping money into the Pru? The people that own it, of course.

The trick for the rich, is to keep the poor from getting too fed up, which of course they (we) do from time to time. However, if we can be persuaded to blame someone other than the rich for our poverty, how much more convenient than insurrection!

You can target immigrants, travellers, one or another religious group, trade union members - remember the enemy within? This time it would appear to be the “baby boomers.” Where did that phrase come from? Wherever, there are plenty willing to take up the cry – it’s not the government, nor the bankers, it’s the baby boomers who are the cause of all our misery. Why? Because they’ve borrowed money to buy their house. That’s all.

As the government puts the squeeze on pensions, welfare, healthcare, the things that you, dear bpw, are going to need sooner or later but mostly later, who is going to protest if the victims are only these nasty, vicious old people? It’s no more than they deserve, after all.

The difference with age is that unlike race or (usually) sex, we all experience it equally. Not only that, but the old are far from a homogeneous group. Most old people are poor, most do not own a house, most have not been “stealing from their sons and daughters.”

Be careful what you wish for, bpw, it may bite you on your ageing bum.

Hello Waitt

thanks for sharing your perspective.

Let me start with a few answers. Yes I am 47, however, I don't live in the UK, I escaped to the USA where the houses cost between 1/3rd and 1/2 what they do in the UK, and where my salary is almost twice as high. America is troubled by the same issues however it remains a land of opportunity for those who work hard and have exceptional skills. And by that I mean engineers, scientists, chefs and artists. There is little or no snobbery here.

Perhaps you can share with me how I will be taught a 'sharp lesson' so that I can keep an eye out for it - or moderate my views.

In the meantime, here are some observations on the points you raise.

1. You can't claim the balance of rationality without supporting your point of view with facts and data. I see none in your reply.

2. I have no issue with home ownership. I doubt anyone here does. The issue is the price of home ownership and more specifically the price of entry into the property market. Perhaps you think its a good thing that a first time buy is faced with properties that are 5-6 times average income.

3. Your claim that I am hysterical is hysterical. The word has two meanings. My choice of words was intended as a headline grabber with more than a grain of truth. People here have in fact been slow to see the truth of British Society under Labour and I was roundly criticized for my views 2-3 years ago by those who thought NuLab was founded on a credible political doctrine. It was not and we now see the result.

4. Inheriting a house having a boated valuation relative to real incomes is hardly a reason for today's madness. I am 47 and I would guess I'll be 67 before I can inherit. Should i wait until there is a high probability of death before I benefit from the ponzi scheme.

5. You seem to have an issue with people paying for their final years. There it is folks someone who thinks someone else should pay for their final years. I presume you see the nonsense in your argument. I am perfectly happy to pay for mine so why are you expecting someone else to pay for yours?

6. There is no subjectivity in my assertion that wealth is unfairly being transferred from the young to the old. The facts were laid out by Lord Turner in the Pensions report. I can also recall Brian Walden on Weekend World talking with Frank Fields about the change in Demographics - that would have been around 1981. Fields ever since has raised the alarm about the need for an equitable future but the people able to do something about it would have been the losers. Better for them to ramp their house prices, bankrupt group pensions and exhaust the NHS so that they could take three vacations a year in the med.

7. We do seem to agree on the egregious nature of financial companies and I would extend my ire to large corporations. They are run by filth without morals in unregulated markets that allow obscene salaries and bonuses. Arguments that Lee Raymond should earn the same as Bill Gates are of course tripe. Raymond was promoted onto the gravy train - he took no risk and didn't create XOM so why does he get paid hundreds of millions for a company that has a hegemonic position?

8. I have no ire for immigrants or the poor. They should have the same rights as the rich but we all know in practice they dont - perhaps there should be a facebook revolution for the poor or the mexicans in the USA who are treated like slaves. 9. dont call me dear.

10. And, finally, i never said the Old were vicious you did - perhaps a freudian moment? I would however point out there is nothing greedier than a pensioner - faced with fairness and morality vs giving up an unfair slice of the pie you can guarantee they will take the pie....... Equitable Life is the proof of that.