House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

How Much Would You Pay For A Profitless Company?

It still needs a network, and as the Egyptians discovered, the whole lot can be switched off in seconds.

AIUI, the intention of wireless P2P networks is that you don't need the underlying carrier... devices communicate directly, via other devices within range.

Whilst that is theoretically plausible, the requirements to actually make something like that work nationally, let alone globally would be unrealistic at the moment to say the least.

I hope ipv6 helps make the idea of this become a reality, but even then I can envisage that making it work efficiently would require something static/ centrally controlled.

Whilst that is theoretically plausible, the requirements to actually make something like that work nationally, let alone globally would be unrealistic at the moment to say the least.

Why? For low bandwidth text only messages I'd say it is technically doable. The trick is to convince every householder they should purchase and install their own node.

Why? For low bandwidth text only messages I'd say it is technically doable. The trick is to convince every householder they should purchase and install their own node.

It's about your "mobile device" acting as part of a cloud, wirelessly, with no underlying carrier network (caveat: as I understand it).

There is also the idea of a P2P connection between devices, on the tube say, that used connections to other mobile devices to eventually reach one which has connectivity to a standard a carriers mobile mast.

The issues, to my mind, are routing from one device to another somewhere inside the cloud, and the power requirements to do it.

Take a look at the internet tools you are using now, compared to how they were in 1999 and have a long hard think about the difference.

I've had a hard think about it and I don't really see the difference. Web forums have largely replaced mailing lists and Usenet for most people, search engines are still search engines but finding useful results is much harder, Facebook and the like are probably the biggest change simply because of their scale, but that doesn't make worth a large chunk of a hundred billion dollars.

I guess we have Flash video instead of animated GIFs, but otherwise I'd say the Internet has taken a big step backwards in usefulness since 1999. I suspect the interesting stuff is going on in the shadows, well away from Facebook and Twitter.

On one of my regular USA music bizz newsletters they report a lot of money is flowing into incomprehensible start ups, with all the historical and current evidence pointing to a catastrophic loss down the road. Dot Com Bubble - The Sequel.

I would agree with that. Bust 2.0! :huh:

I've had a hard think about it and I don't really see the difference.

LOL we had coax joining up flats so we could use pony chat rather than the internet.

I did my first 3 years on free dialups.

Was fab.

The issues, to my mind, are routing from one device to another somewhere inside the cloud, and the power requirements to do it.

Routing can be done P2P. Might be a bit slower.

As for the wireless, it can use long range radio, probably in the 433 MHZ band. Very low power, miles of range and sufficient bandwidth to transmit simple messages. A box the size of a credit card with 2 AA batteries backed up by solar charging would probably do it.

I've been thinking that there's a social networking price bubble forming. What I wonder is whether the huge values placed on Twitter, Facebook etc. are based the beliefs that social networking sites can only go up and up and up in value and that someone will come along at some stage and want to buy them. But supposing everyone thinks that 'Mouthshout' is worth $50 billion and that 'Splutter' wants to buy it -- what if Mouthshout and Splutter simply decide to merge instead? !!!

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

I've been thinking that there's a social networking price bubble forming. what if Mouthshout and Splutter simply decide to merge instead? !!!

What if someone brings out something better?

Or are we saying facebook is as good as it gets?

I find myself in the same position as I did in 1999/2000. I appear not to understand the new world and everyone else is getting it, and creating multi billion pound companies out of nothing. I was right last time, and I think I'm going to be right this time.

Advertising. Clearly worth money, but how is it worth hundreds of billion? That feels like it is bigger than the entire advertising industry.

Revenue. Where is the money coming from? Oh yes, advertising and the mythical "sticky eyeballs".

Subscribers. Make people pay for the service, and how many will you keep. How many people would pay £50 a year for Facebook?

Answer these questions and you have a valuation.

Yes, there are many people out there for whom the "internet is Facebook". However, such people aren't that bright, and the thick tend not to have much cash.

I Agree

Facebook is impossible (hard) to monetise apart from Google adwords style advertising which simply will never generate billions. Googles WHOLE adwords and adsense networks together do not generate that amount of revenue. Yes they could start charging for memberships but then they will see their loyal flock dissapear overnight! The only thing I could see them doing is branching out and offering holidays and hotel bookings etc.

But as a previous poster rightly said if you can seel your 500 million subscribers a 1p product then you are still making good money just not 60 billion!

Edited by Soul Reaver

Facebook is impossible (hard) to monetise apart from Google adwords style advertising which simply will never generate billions. Googles WHOLE adwords and adsense networks together do not generate that amount of revenue.

Hmm...Google's revenue from AdWords in 2010 was $28billion.

Google is value is more appreciable because they don't rely on incidental marketing. A substantial proportion of Google users have actually got their credit card in their hands searching to buy something there and then which retailers are more than happy to compete with each other over how much of their margin they give up to Google to get the clicks/sales.

Facebook could become a search engine itself through Bing but it would be very experimental.

Having said all this I don't think Facebook is worth a fraction of the valuations being chucked around.

In any instant there are giant corporations that look untouchable but things change quickly. Google has barely even begun the task of reliably organising the word's data but they are currently the best.

Hmm...Google's revenue from AdWords in 2010 was $28billion.

Google is value is more appreciable because they don't rely on incidental marketing. A substantial proportion of Google users have actually got their credit card in their hands searching to buy something there and then which retailers are more than happy to compete with each other over how much of their margin they give up to Google to get the clicks/sales.

Facebook could become a search engine itself through Bing but it would be very experimental.

Having said all this I don't think Facebook is worth a fraction of the valuations being chucked around.

In any instant there are giant corporations that look untouchable but things change quickly. Google has barely even begun the task of reliably organising the word's data but they are currently the best.

I Cant see facebooks adwords revenue competing with Googles un less it also becomes a search engine as it just does not have the same reach.

I Cant see facebooks adwords revenue competing with Googles un less it also becomes a search engine as it just does not have the same reach.

It gets more page views.

Absolutely which is why I mentioned Bing. It will be tried at some point but they might not pull it off. I guess that's why they haven't tried it yet. If Bing improves enough they may consider it. I don't know what the Microsoft/Facebook deal is but I assume it means that Facebook can't have a relationship with Google.

It gets more page views.

It's incidental advertising though. Facebook needs a search engine business. Feasible but not even in existence at the moment.

As I wrote above it's a VERY different situation since people don't go on Facebook with their credit card in one hand...they do on Google and businesses will give away greater and greater chunks of their margin to Google to get their attention.

It's incidental advertising though. Facebook needs a search engine business. Feasible but not even in existence at the moment.

As I wrote above it's a VERY different situation since people don't go on Facebook with their credit card in one hand...they do on Google and businesses will give away greater and greater chunks of their margin to Google to get their attention.

They buy coins for the games though ... Does fb get cash for that or is it the app owners?

They buy coins for the games though ... Does fb get cash for that or is it the app owners?

They do make money from it but it'll never be very big. It's only attractive to gamers and then only gamers that are willing to pay.

When you click on an add on Google, the retailer knows from the general performance (converting clicks to customers) of his site what it's worth to him. Key industries like certain insurance products can be worth £20/CLICK(!!!). Facebook gaming will just never be in that league.

Edited by cica

It gets more page views.

Nonsense. It does not get any pages views at all to my mind because as a site it does not exist. The site is just a portal login to the users main area. It's a glorified CMS and each user has their own area so if you manipulate those stats then yes of course it gets more pages views as each user acceses his area multiple times from the same starting point. Page views my ****.

What if someone brings out something better?

Or are we saying facebook is as good as it gets?

Facebook's success is that they've got so many people to use it. When I first heard about it and looked at it a few years ago it looked very boring because I didn't know anyone else who used it so it seemed pointless.

Despite its subsequent success, there's a lot about Facebook that's still amateurish and it's not very user-friendly, not even compared to other sites.

Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

Nonsense. It does not get any pages views at all to my mind because as a site it does not exist. The site is just a portal login to the users main area. It's a glorified CMS and each user has their own area so if you manipulate those stats then yes of course it gets more pages views as each user acceses his area multiple times from the same starting point. Page views my ****.

facebook is the most visited site in the US now, ahead of google.

Edited by mfp123