House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

20,000 Military Personnel To Be Let Go

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/8335713/Army-facing-huge-cuts-after-withdrawal-from-Afghanistan.html

The Army is to be cut by up to 20,000 troops, leaving it at its lowest level since the 1820s, under secret Treasury plans.
By Sean "Shawn" Rayment, Defence Correspondent 9:00PM GMT 19 Feb 2011
Senior defences sources have said that the Chancellor, George Osborne, supported by the Prime Minister will demand the cuts in a bid to substantially reduce Britain's defence budget.

China may become the new policeman for the East leaving us, Jerry and the US to police the West. :D

Not a big deal anyway? Apart, of course, for the sad loss of their jobs which is a human tragedy that should not be underestimated. It will not help keep the housing bubble going either.

My sources inform me that by the time the dust settles on these armed forces redundancies, the figure for the RAF will be closer to 34K as opposed to 39K. A further tranche of redundancies by 2015 will leave it at roughly 31K. I doubt the private sector companies that directly recruit ex-forces will be able to absorb that many. Especially as defence spending drops.

They will be given hefty pensions for life, so I would'nt worry about them so much. I do agree however that this could be a threat to national security.

It might. Where do you think those 20,000 personnel are now living? In MOD accommodation.

Where are they going to be living when the leave?

£375k terraces in Peckham.

They will get a bit of redoondancy money but will not have much by way of income to pay a megamortgage. Most will smply join us here and be "priced out."

£375k terraces in Peckham.

They will get a bit of redoondancy money but will not have much by way of income to pay a megamortgage. Most will smply join us here and be "priced out."

The MOD sold some MOD houses in St. Athan a few years ago and they had people queuing up days before the sales to get them.

Nice location and the MOD made a tidy profit on those houses. Problem is, when they close bases en mass the areas often die so the people move elsewhere to find the work.

I saw the writing on the wall last year prior to SDSR. I am out of thr RN end of April and start with new employment tomorrow. As i told my boss there's a "Sh*t storm" coming down the track and i'm looking after no 1......As a Avionics Tech i've got employment in a bad enough environment before another batch of similair qualified guys and girls start looking.

Everyone i have spoken to who has done similiar time (22years+) is going to apply for redundancy and if they are unlucky enough not to get selected will be applying for release.

Nots of concern regarding govermnet changes to pension entitlements and taxing of gratuity payments.

It's a big worry but the pensions in the bank and houses are getting cheaper.

Plenty of scope for cuts. Still the third biggest spenders on military in the world.

e28cfcc56891df08bf32a556eb9d6d90.png

True but given how shite we are at spending the money its safe to say we get the least bang for our buck out of every £ we spend.

There's plenty of work out there for guys with the right skills.

For example, 320 currently guarding the US Army Corps of Engineers operations in northern Iraq.

18 months doing that - pay cash for a house in London.

There's plenty of work out there for guys with the right skills.

For example, 320 currently guarding the US Army Corps of Engineers operations in northern Iraq.

18 months doing that - pay cash for a house in London.

You sure about that ? You think these blokes are saving 300k+ in 18 months ? From what I have read you are talking more like £3-400 per day. Which is pretty good. However for the dangers involved not exactly brilliant.

You sure about that ? You think these blokes are saving 300k+ in 18 months ? From what I have read you are talking more like £3-400 per day. Which is pretty good. However for the dangers involved not exactly brilliant.

Yes, my brother is 2 i.c. of a group operating out of Tikrit.

Bought a house for cash in London after 18 months spent doing nasty things to unspeakable people in Afghanistan.

Sort of things that get Guardian readers a bit flustered.

Yes, my brother is 2 i.c. of a group operating out of Tikrit.

Bought a house for cash in London after 18 months spent doing nasty things to unspeakable people in Afghanistan.

Sort of things that get Guardian readers a bit flustered.

So how much is he getting paid - you don't seem shy so fire away !!

Although I suppose if someone worked almost every day for 18 months on £400 per day tax free - I could see how the numbers add up. Still seems to be pushing it though. You would really need to be on 1k or more per day. I am pretty certain this lot out there are not.

Maybe they are though.