House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest_ringledman_*

Uk Construction

Anyone work in the construction game here?

From what I can see there is a significant shift from building related works (do we need any more flats, shopping centres, hospitals, schools?) to heavy infrastructure.

Power, rail, renewable, nuclear, oil&gas seems to be the future for the industry over the next decade.

Are firms moving in this direction from what you can see? Will this market in the UK be big enough to take up the slack from the reduction in building works going forward?

Edited by ringledman

Anyone work in the construction game here?

From what I can see there is a significant shift from building related works (do we need any more flats, shopping centres, hospitals, schools?) to heavy infrastructure.

Power, rail, renewable, nuclear, oil&gas seems to be the future for the industry over the next decade.

Are firms moving in this direction from what you can see? Will this market in the UK be big enough to take up the slack from the reduction in building works going forward?

I work in engineering construction and it`s on it`s knees,the new power stations being built at the moment are all foreign owned and they are basically being made in eastern Europe and then assembled over here ,and more and more of the labour that`s required to assemble it is coming from eastern Europe as the rate they pay them is about 30% less than the rate over here

The steel industry is now in fast decline again after a brief pick up at the start of last year but since late summer last year it been going down hill

As for the future nuclear project`s I can see very little of it being manufactured in this country

I cannot see this side taking up the slack ,I have been out of work for four month`s now and every one I speak two in this game are saying the same thing ,and that is they have never seen so many people chasing the same jobs