House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Libya Heading Towards Civil War? Price Of Oil To Rocket?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8335934/Libya-protests-140-massacred-as-Gaddafi-sends-in-snipers-to-crush-dissent.html

Demonstrators claimed the regime had unleashed French-speaking African mercenaries against them, recruited from nearby countries such as Chad to help prop up the regime. Shaky videos filmed secretly from inside buildings and posted on YouTube showed the soldiers on the streets of Benghazi. Several were reportedly caught by the crowd and lynched.

Foreign journalists were refused entry. Demonstrators using Twitter warned each other that regime spies were carefully monitoring the internet, and mobile phone users were sent threatening messages from the government, warning them to remain patriotic and not to join the protests. One such message red: "We congratulate those who understand that interfering with national unity threatens the future of generations."

Omar, a 24-year-old civil servant in Benghazi, who asked for his surname to be withheld, said: "Gaddafi is reacting to the protests with utter ruthlessness. Tanks are on the streets, and there are running battles between armed killers and protesters. Some of the soldiers have been so disgusted by what is going on that they have swapped sides."

A British-based Libyan, Ahmed, who asked for the rest of his name to be withheld, said demonstrators had been attacked by Colonel Gaddafi's African mercenaries. "It started peacefully because the people want their country back after 42 years," he told The Sunday Telegraph. He was able to telephone friends and contacts in Libya, although they were barred from making international calls out of the country.

"They don't have any weapons so it is difficult for the people in Benghazi to defend themselves," he said. "But the army were so horrified when these mercenaries started attacking protesters that they have joined the people to defend them. It is chaotic in the hospitals. Medical supplies and everything else has been blocked and they are making appeals in the streets for people to come forward and give blood."

A Libyan journalist said of the African mercenaries: "The soldiers are vicious killers. People are so terrified of them that they've been doing everything possible to get away.

"Women and children were seen jumping off Giuliana Bridge in Benghazi to escape. Many of them were killed by the impact of hitting the water, while others were drowned."

Fatih, 26, another Benghazi resident, said: "A lot of the thugs he's employing are not Arabic speakers. They're armed to the teeth and only use live ammunition. They don't ask questions – they just shoot. Buildings and cars have been set on fire here, and the situation is getting worse. The dead and injured are everywhere.

"The mercenaries shoot from helicopters and from the top of roofs. They don't care who they kill."

Libya is one of the biggest oil and gas exporters in the world, with companies like BP moving in to exploit its reserves following the rebuilding of its relationship with the west.

However, the unemployment rate is 30 per cent, housing is in short supply, and there is no political opposition and a pervasive police state. Much of Tripoli's population live in gigantic, soulless tower blocks.

Poverty is much worse in the east. Benghazi's tribes have always been suspicious of Colonel Gaddafi and the regime starves the region of investment.

It would appear that Libya is close to Civil war, the suppression is brutal and is clearly the act of desperation to cling to power. Using mercenaries is a risky strategy as your gambling on your own troops being too afraid to fight.

Mass unemployment is a volatile mix, people may feel they have nothing to lose. No doubt those close to the regime will have done very very well over past decades.

I'm surprised this hasn't triggered a bigger spike in the oil price unless the oil traders think that killing hundreds of people will curb the protests?

if there is a regime change BP can kiss goodbye to there gas and oil deals. Al'Megrahi was'nt worth it after all and it makes you wonder if the US knew this all along.

if there is a regime change BP can kiss goodbye to there gas and oil deals. Al'Megrahi was'nt worth it after all and it makes you wonder if the US knew this all along.

So big US oil will move in to replace them?

I wonder if the US will be helping the people organising the revolt, they've wanted to get rid of Gaddafi for years this would seem too good an opportunity to miss. Although who takes his place could be an issue and Libya ends up with another despot.

I wonder if the US will be helping the people organising the revolt, they've wanted to get rid of Gaddafi for years this would seem too good an opportunity to miss. Although who takes his place could be an issue and Libya ends up with another despot.

Erm, Gaddaffi also signed deals with Shell and Exxon, but of course they'll keep quiet!!!!

I have a 20 litre jerry can of diesel in the garage, what am I bid?

Nothing, now that you've told the world the exact location of your soon-to-be-very-valuable item ;)

The boy obviously has a thing for women in uniform. Not too sure myself about the blue combat fatigues and heeled boots look.

gaddafi_female_bodyguards2.jpg

Interesting threesome?

article-1192494-054A6C3C000005DC-880_468x314.jpg

Edited by The Masked Tulip

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8335934/Libya-protests-140-massacred-as-Gaddafi-sends-in-snipers-to-crush-dissent.html

It would appear that Libya is close to Civil war, the suppression is brutal and is clearly the act of desperation to cling to power. Using mercenaries is a risky strategy as your gambling on your own troops being too afraid to fight.

Mass unemployment is a volatile mix, people may feel they have nothing to lose. No doubt those close to the regime will have done very very well over past decades.

I'm surprised this hasn't triggered a bigger spike in the oil price unless the oil traders think that killing hundreds of people will curb the protests?

Can you imagine how incendiary using foreign mercenaries will be for the local population - a recipe for civil war. I thought Gadaffi would survive this turmoil as he is a wily ba@tard but hearing this i cannot believe the indigenous Arab population will tolerate him for much longer.

Bahrain was doing something similar, i saw on Al Jazeera (now on Freeview) that they have been importing Sunni from Pakistan & other countries to man the Police & Security as the Sunni elite do not trust the Shia majority. And its these 'foreign' police who have been operating a shoot-to-kill policy against demonstrators.

With all this turmoil the Oil Price must spike. Is this the Black Swan that the UK is so vulnerable too?

The boy obviously has a thing for women in uniform. Not too sure myself about the blue combat fatigues and heeled boots look.

gaddafi_female_bodyguards2.jpg

Interesting threesome?

What's that photograph on his chest?!?!?!

What's that photograph on his chest?!?!?!

It's like one of those Sci Fi things where you look into the picture only to see another picture on his chest... so you look into that and before you know it one of his virgin guards will have done you!

With all this turmoil the Oil Price must spike. Is this the Black Swan that the UK is so vulnerable too?

I forgot to ring Greece, but the "ring of death" is nearly complete.

a.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1192494/More-make-hair-dye-40-virgin-bodyguards-Gaddafi-murderous-menace.html

Pinned to his chest was a large photograph of a Libyan resistance leader being hanged by Italian colonialists in 1931.

Bizzare: The picture on Gaddafi's chest is of a Libyan resistance fighter, Omar al-Mukhtar, hanged by the Italian colonialists in 1931. Gaddafi even bought along the man's elderly son

I somehow doubt Berlusconi would care, he'd be thinking he's brought virgins for a bit of bunga bunga.

Guest UK Debt Slave

"I wonder if the US will be helping the people organising the revolt"

Henry Kissenger recently said that Tunisia and Egypt would be just the first dominoes to fall.

I suspect there are all kinds of machinations and skullduggery going on behind closed doors.

Bear in mind that the Egyptians were on the streets for 16 days to get rid of Mubarak and all they have merely replaced him with the suspension of their constitution and military rule.

There are 2 ways to look at things here.

1. The Anglo-American Zionist elite is involved in toppling these regimes for their own neferious ends

2. The Anglo-American Zionist elite is losing control over the puppet dictators that are funded and armed by them to run those countries.

I wish it was 2. but I suspect it is more likely to be 1.

Edited by UK Debt Slave

I forgot to ring Greece, but the "ring of death" is nearly complete.

a.jpg

You may need to ring Morocco and Algeria, there seems to be protests there as well, and China. Yep China, inspired by the Tunisian uprising, the Chinese were attempting to protest for more rights but the protesters were quashed and have been heavily suppressed - this could turn ugly. Tiananmen Square part 2?

Edit: Spelt Morocco wrong...

Edited by SickofRenting

"I wonder if the US will be helping the people organising the revolt"

Henry Kissenger recently said that Tunisia and Egypt would be just the first dominoes to fall.

I suspect there are all kinds of machinations and skullduggery going on behind closed doors.

Bear in mind that the Egyptians were on the streets for 16 days to get rid of Mubarak and all they have merely replaced him with the suspension of their constitution and military rule.

There are 2 ways to look at things here.

1. The Anglo-American Zionist elite is involved in toppling these regimes for their own neferious ends

2. The Anglo-American Zionist elite is losing control over the puppet dictators that are funded and armed by them to run those countries.

I wish it was 2. but I suspect it is more likely to be 1.

Thing is you go upsetting applcarts who knows where the apples will fall, even if it is 1.

BBC news 24

Gaddafi's`s son has been addressing the Libyan people for 40 minutes, death toll now 255 people in the last five days.

Eventually hundreds of thousands of people from North Africa and the Middle East will turn up on our shores seeking Political Asylum as the unrest spreads among the Arab Nations. ;)

The Anglo-American Zionist elite is involved in toppling these regimes for their own neferious ends

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1192494/More-make-hair-dye-40-virgin-bodyguards-Gaddafi-murderous-menace.html

I somehow doubt Berlusconi would care, he'd be thinking he's brought virgins for a bit of bunga bunga.

I laugh at the Berlusconi saga, he adds a bit of colour to the Italians, at least he's more interesting than Mr. Cameron.

Berlusconi epitomises male Italians, sex with under age hookers, corruption, abuse of power and possible links with the mafia.

Gary Glitter for Prime Minister? Just to make British politics more interesting?