House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Double Summer Time

Finally it looks like we are getting this. Brilliant! Looks like I'll be getting two extra months of evening walks in every year.

Plus cash savings benefits of lights turned on for one less hour a day.

About time something was done about bank holidays as well, they are daft this year. 4 day week then 3 day week then 4 day week at one of my busiest periods. Leave one in April / May and take the other three to June, July and October.

Coalition may put clocks forward two hours

Britain is set for longer and lighter summer evenings as ministers prepare to shift the nation's clocks forward by an extra hour in what would be a historic move.

By Patrick Hennessy, Political Editor 9:00PM GMT 19 Feb 2011

A new 'tourism strategy', to be published by the Coalition within days, is expected to contain plans to move the country to 'double summertime', The Sunday Telegraph has learned.

MP Rebecca Harris with her dog Dido

Putting the clocks forward by an hour to British Summer Time +1 (equivalent to Greenwich Mean Time +2) would mean lighter evenings in the summer months, but darker mornings.

The plan already has influential support among Conservative MPs, safety campaigners and environmentalists. Supporters believe it would boost outdoor events, particularly in late summer when the nights are drawing in.

Ministers have up to now taken a cautious approach, saying that any change must be approved by a consensus of opinion. The appearance of the plan in the Coalition's tourism strategy will greatly encourage campaigners for a change.

It was not clear last night whether the proposals would mean a two-hour shift every spring and autumn, or whether winter time would also advance from GMT to GMT+1, bringing Britain into line with most of the European continent year-round.

The latter option would meet with fierce resistance in Scotland, where politicians argue that the resulting darker winter mornings would increase the number of road accidents and put children's lives at risk.

Other proposals in the tourism strategy are expected to include:

• Scrapping the May Day bank holiday in favour of another date yet to be fixed. Tourism chiefs back a new bank holiday in October, close to schools' half-term break, which could be called 'UK Day' - or 'Trafalgar Day' in recognition of Admiral Nelson's victory over the French and Spanish fleets on Oct 21, 1805.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/8335839/Coalition-may-put-clocks-forward-two-hours.html

No chance of a Trafalgar Day. Far too British and far too 'already wanted by the BNP'.

It'll be 'Mandela Day' and I'm not joking.

21st oct would work for me

I want this like a hole in the head I am afraid. Anyone with livestock would probably agree, as would those with horses, like myself.

I start work at 8.30 am which means I have to get horses exercised before 8.00am as I have a 30 min commute to work, which means a a 5.30 start and in the middle of winter exercising at 7.30. You are just about riding into light at this time in the morning, but at least you are riding into light whereas in the evening you would be riding into coming darkness, and the extra hour at this end of the day won't make any difference to those who work a normal day.

Nope, don't want it.

I want this like a hole in the head I am afraid. Anyone with livestock would probably agree, as would those with horses, like myself.

I start work at 8.30 am which means I have to get horses exercised before 8.00am as I have a 30 min commute to work, which means a a 5.30 start and in the middle of winter exercising at 7.30. You are just about riding into light at this time in the morning, but at least you are riding into light whereas in the evening you would be riding into coming darkness, and the extra hour at this end of the day won't make any difference to those who work a normal day.

Nope, don't want it.

If you can afford horses, then pay for for a part livery. Otherwise let the proles have their lighter evenings!

It would certainly make sense to bring our business hours into line with the rest of western Europe.

I think they are already in many cases. The Stock Market (i.e.the FTSE index) opens at 08:00, which is 09:00 for the Bourse, DAX etc. I can't speak for Portugal* however. My experience of there is that most things are closed... a lot.

* Same time as the UK in case anyone was unaware.

Finally it looks like we are getting this. Brilliant! Looks like I'll be getting two extra months of evening walks in every year.

Plus cash savings benefits of lights turned on for one less hour a day.

About time something was done about bank holidays as well, they are daft this year. 4 day week then 3 day week then 4 day week at one of my busiest periods. Leave one in April / May and take the other three to June, July and October.

http://www.telegraph...-two-hours.html

The experiences elsewhere suggest that there will be no savings in energy. Businesses tend to have the lights on all day long regardless of how bright it is. Residential lighting is a tiny part of the country's energy useage, and for most of the year, it will either make no difference to the length of time lights are on in the evening, or it will be offset by an additional hour of lighting in the morning.

On the roads, dark mornings are more dangerous than dark evenings, because black ice forms overnight, people are more tired in the morning, the school run and work run happen at the same time, and people are in more of a rush because they have to get into work on time, whereas it isn't so important if they get home late in the evening.

If you can afford horses, then pay for for a part livery. Otherwise let the proles have their lighter evenings!

What on earth makes you think if I can afford horses that I could afford part livery* ?

No objection to double summertime in the summer, it is the extension to GMT + 1 in the winter that is daft for our latitude, especially for those who work outside

*besides, I am picky about who rides them

30 minute commute - I dream of something so short.

For 8 years I used to have a 60 minute commute each way, I changed where I rent because of it and wouldn't go back. I work a 10-11 hour day and the commute on top was plain daft in hindsight (and a huge cost in diesel, tyres, servicing etc).

The experiences elsewhere suggest that there will be no savings in energy. Businesses tend to have the lights on all day long regardless of how bright it is. Residential lighting is a tiny part of the country's energy useage, and for most of the year, it will either make no difference to the length of time lights are on in the evening, or it will be offset by an additional hour of lighting in the morning.

On the roads, dark mornings are more dangerous than dark evenings, because black ice forms overnight, people are more tired in the morning, the school run and work run happen at the same time, and people are in more of a rush because they have to get into work on time, whereas it isn't so important if they get home late in the evening.

My old companies server room was mind boggling. A room not much bigger than a large dining room with 150 servers and 3 air conditioning units, on 24/7. We only had 1 A/C unit at one time and if it failed the temp would shoot up to 50c in about 1/2 an hour. We found an elastic band that had melted.

The balance on here represents the feeling in the general population.About 10:1 in favour,just the odd yokel against.

:lol: Get off my land !!

I'm all for an extra hour in the evening in winter, even though it'll mean getting up in the dark (I don't at present, not living far from work and usually getting in as late as possible). What matters is when I can make use of it, and therefore work-time is irrelevent but weekends are not.

I'm not, however, keen on the idea of even longer evenings in summer. It gets dark late enough in the middle of summer anyway. Getting dark after 11 would just be ridiculous. It'll probably lead me to alcoholism as I look out of the pub window and think "Still light, can't be time to go yet" :) Hell, I'd prefer GMT in summer and BST in winter, but sticking to BST all year around would be OK. But please not GMT+2 in summer. There's just no point. I like late summer evenings, but not when they're not far off midnight.

Moving the bank holidays around makes a lot of sense. Trafalgar Day would be good because it's in the middle of a large gap (and might annoy the French) but late June / early July would be nice to take advantage of the time of year. Or let's keep what we've got and just have an extra one. I don't believe the self-serving nonsense of how it would damage the economy - does it do that much better every four years when they screw an extra day's work out of us at no extra cost?

The balance on here represents the feeling in the general population.About 10:1 in favour,just the odd yokel against.

'Yokels' the world over work to provide you with food so that you can insult them on t'internet because they have a difference of opinion

What a marvelous world

civil twilight ending at gone half 11 sounds a bit OTT imo.

also are they on about it just being GMT +2 right at the end of March? That's daft too if so.

I'd stick with +1 in March and then maybe up it to +1.5 at the end of April

about the same balance on people wanting HPI.

doesn't make them right.

I'm all for an extra hour in the evening in winter, even though it'll mean getting up in the dark (I don't at present, not living far from work and usually getting in as late as possible). What matters is when I can make use of it, and therefore work-time is irrelevent but weekends are not.

This is the problem, it would suit you, but it would not suit those who work outside (farmers) and need light to do so (I am not a farmer BTW, nor related to one).

And in my opinion those are the people we should think about, not whether 'I' would like an extra hour to play.

Don't get me wrong, I love light evenings having spent much time working in the Arctic during summer, however the extra hour of darkness in the UK winter is a deal breaker for my circumstances.