House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

How Is The Economy Where You Are?

I don't think we have had one of these weekend threads for a while - how is the economy where you are?

What is like regards to friends, family, work colleagues? What are you seeing?

Are people carrying on regardless as if everything is fine? Are people cutting back? Are people worried? Are people afraid for their jobs?

I have to say that in my part of the UK I only know one person who is cutting back on spending. Everyone else appears to either be oblivious or immune to things.

I have noticed one thing though - the food hall at M&S is very empty on a Friday and the shelves are not completely stocked. It used to be packed in there on a Friday. (TMT in they do a good deal on bacon mode.)

Otherwise, things appear fine.

Have you noticed there's less people about in all the shops? In fact just about everywhere I go there are less people. Perhaps they've been given the nod and have quietly left the UK before it's too late.

If I get the nod I'll let you know.

Are people carrying on regardless as if everything is fine? Are people cutting back? Are people worried? Are people afraid for their jobs?

Otherwise, things appear fine.

Are people carrying on regardless as if everything is fine ? NO

Are people cutting back ? YES

Are people worried ? YES

Are people afraid for their jobs ? YES

The sense that im picking up and it is my own thoughts as well is that people are waiting for the sh-t cart . They/I can not see a way out and am sure that something nasty is going to happen not sure quite what and how it will affect them/me . But just know something is going to give.

Oxford:

Situation normal (not AFU).

The university is building lots, BMW seems to be ticking over as usual. The City Council started cutting three years ago and is pretty much OK - looking at 13 redundancies this year. The County Council left it a bit late are about to start cutting a lot, but never seem to get round to actually doing it. Prime property (and that is a lot of Oxford) above peak prices and selling well.

Having said all that, I don't think the University is looking at any more projects other than those already underway, the hospitals are starting to cut, BMW runs a Toyota style pull system (so when orders dry up, cars don't get made), the City Council has abandoned increment wage increases as well as cost of living ones and Council Tax is set to rise. On the property front, the definition of Prime is contacting fast and I'm seeing less desirable properties falling below the levels of winter 2008/09.

In summary, it's all in the pipe, but few care.

Its been very quiet for a saturday but I suppose its only the middle of february so not too much disposable cash floating around. PC world, Currys, B&Q all totally empty today. Large numbers of staff just standing around not sure quite what to do in the empty store. I only popped in to see if the £30 item that I just bought on Ebay for 1p was still in stock . Yes it was. Happy that I had saved £29.99. I moved on to the next store to price up another item on my Ebay watch list prior to making another silly bid. The economy where I am standing is fine thank you.

How Is The Economy Where You Are?

As Mrs CTT has suffered health problems the last month I have had to take over her duties. Having the time of my life, getting all the great bargains when shopping, singing as I do the housework, cooking, washing up, and washing. What a great invention the washing machine is, and the Hoover complete magic. The result our food bill has reduced by 25%, but Mrs CTT says the meals I serve are great and apologises for the past waste. :D

Where do I begin.

Is everything fine HELL NO

Are people cutting back YES

Are people afraid of losing their jobs YES

Are house prices falling NO, BECAUSE NO ONE CAN GET A MORTGAGE TO MAKE A FIRM OFFER AND EXCHANGE

Are people worried NO, THEY HAVE A GOOD SUPPLY OF PROZAC AND HAVE DONE SINCE SEPTEMBER 2007.

My little area of the UK are very hard at work digging a hole and shoving their heads in it. They dont want to know about cuts, interest rate rises, VAT rises, all they want to know is can they get more alcohol, legal drugs or otherwise to forget about the economy and pretend its all not really happening at least until they wakeup in the morning.

The Economy is angry, I walked past The Economy last week and it just growled at me, I heard later in the day it stomped on some cars and levelled a small sky scraper. I think it's time we started to make sacrifices to appease The Economy. That Allsop woman is quite fat and would make a good sacrifice, although I question her virginity.

Edited by enrieb

The Economy is angry, I walked past The Economy last week and it just growled at me, I heard later in the day it stomped on some cars and levelled a small sky scraper. I think it's time we started to make sacrifices to appease The Economy. That Allsop woman is quite fat and would make a good sacrifice, although I question her virginity.

She is a virgin, She told us all herself, "House prices never go down".

Guest spp

More interested in the economy in the UK at the moment than on Deep Space Nine. Where are you living Dukat?

The Gower should be rather nice today TMT...Go get some fresh air.

P.S you might want to take a metal detector with you.

If I was The Econony I'd be angered by this offering :lol:

Went shopping in Nottingham last weekend and it was heaving with people, so much so we didn't stay as long as we wanted. The missus remarked "so much for the recession huh ?".

Perhaps it was full of Uni/College students rather than workers, but it didn't appear to be affected.

Colchester:

Is everything fine: yes, on the surface. Shopping centre still busy. More empty shops than before, the only indicator.

Are people cutting back : No. They've paid off a little debt, the credit has burnt a hole in their pocket, so they've made another HP purchase.

Are people afraid of losing their jobs: No, they think we've past the bottom and the economy will grow from here.

Are house prices falling: No. But rather hard to tell, as agents' asking prices may not match price actually sold for. People reckon we've reached bottom.

Are people worried: Not really. Only in a general sort of way, as in there's trouble brewing somewhere else. Personally, everyone feels it's okay for them, picking up.

I don't think we have had one of these weekend threads for a while - how is the economy where you are?

Seems pretty solid here in Toronto. I'm still having trouble hiring good people and the bars, restaurants, shops and so on are all about as busy as this time last year. House prices are looking a little bit toppy though.

Have you noticed there's less people about in all the shops? In fact just about everywhere I go there are less people. Perhaps they've been given the nod and have quietly left the UK before it's too late.

If I get the nod I'll let you know.

Mrs STA was pointing this out to me the other day. There is less traffic around and it's quieter in the shops where we live (in the outskirts of Birmingham). I put this down to people making fewer car journeys to cut down petrol (I am doing more of the family shopping in the local Co-op and rarely go to Waitrose these days. More people at work seem to have joined COSTCO and talk about what bargains they have got - it wasn't a subject of conversation three or four years ago.

The one thing I have noticed is the quick turnround of some businesses; a small supermarket open and closed within six months and about four restaurants which have opened and then closed within 18 months - more Pound Stores and To Let signs on the high street. It all looks like things are beginning to slow down.

I know several people who have lost their jobs and the lower-paid workers are being squeezed by sub-inflation pay rises whilst essentials rocket up above inflation.

I'm not noticing quieter shops or roads but definitely more "For Sale" signs, and the odd one with "Just Reduced" added on.

East Kent, absolutely dire, even before Pfizer, the biggest employer by far, announced that it was leaving.

Margate has the highest rate of closed shops in the country at 37.4%, up from 25% just 18 months ago.

Houses which were on offer at £140,000 in 1997 are now selling at sub- £100,000.

What is like regards to friends, family, work colleagues? What are you seeing?

Are people carrying on regardless as if everything is fine? YES

Are people cutting back? NO

Are people worried? DON'T SEEM TO BE

Are people afraid for their jobs? NO - not even my mum who works for the NHS.

I don't know how accurate this is, but round this way (Surrey), I use coffee shops as a barometer. Let's face it, we don't need them, let alone the quantity that exists here, and they're normally rammed. I found a receipt for a £20 spend in Starbucks FFS.

Everyone's moaning about the costs of things and how little work there is about , but not seeing any real change at all apart from maybe the Pub where trade does seem to have dropped off a little.

The benefit system is working fine with no change at all in incomes.

Edit area

West Yorks

Edited by papag

I live in Richmond and work in central London. The restaurants are packed.

I travel a lot with my job and Heathrow is just as crowded.

I want to take early retirement and buy a house in Lymington. House prices there are still sky high and there's no space in the marina for my boat.

I live in Richmond and work in central London. The restaurants are packed.

I travel a lot with my job and Heathrow is just as crowded.

I want to take early retirement and buy a house in Lymington. House prices there are still sky high and there's no space in the marina for my boat.

Think about buying 15 minutes across the water on the Isle of Wight. Thousands of properties for sale with prices continuing to fall and thousands of marina berths empty and available at 50% the annual fee of Lymington