House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
xux42

Just Been Down To Eastleigh

Just been to Eastleigh NW of S'hampton on family business and as there seemed to be some rather nice houses in what appear to be reasonably nice locations I had a look at the prices.

£300k detached

OK the houses are a rather close to each other but the estate borders countryside and is right by the station.

Now in the large Glos. village near Gloucester and Cheltenham we live in asking for this would be £400-450K.

In the good postcodes of Cheltenham it would be £500-600k, that's double.

Hedge end is commutable to Southampton, Portsmouth, Fareham, Guildford and a few other places, and the jobs in Cheltenham are er, mostly Public Sector...

I humbly submit that HPs in Glos. generally, and Cheltenham in particular, are doomed!

Edited by xux42

Just been to Eastleigh NW of S'hampton on family business and as there seemed to be some rather nice houses in what appear to be reasonably nice locations I had a look at the prices.

£300k detached

OK the houses are a rather close to each other but the estate borders countryside and is right by the station.

Now in the large Glos. village near Gloucester and Cheltenham we live in asking for this would be £400-450K.

Hedge end is commutable to Southampton, Portsmouth, Fareham, Guildford and a few other places, and the jobs in Cheltenham are er, mostly Public Sector...

I humbly submit that HPs in Glos. generally, and Cheltenham in particular, are doomed!

£300K for that? You must be joking.

£300k detached

You`re not kidding.

Might as well have a terrace cos it doesn`t look like you can walk round the back anyway.

£300K for that? You must be joking.

Obviously there are nicer houses in nicer locations for less money elsewhere in the UK. This thread probably looks a bit stupid to people in the NW who can easily find a smart house for £150K but hopefully it strikes a chord to southerners.

I guess my point is that in this location a family income of 70K would not be unusual but less usual in Glos. yet prices are at least 33% higher for like for like.

I'm fortunate to have bought in Glos. when property here was cheap - properly, objectively, 3x single income cheap.

If I was starting out now, Hampshire would win hands down over Glos. for its combination of higher earnings potential and lower house prices.

You`re not kidding.

Might as well have a terrace cos it doesn`t look like you can walk round the back anyway.

Actually there is a much, much nicer house for £300k on the west side of Hedge End. But you'll probably think its cr@p because its 1/4 mile from the M3...

Obviously there are nicer houses in nicer locations for less money elsewhere in the UK. This thread probably looks a bit stupid to people in the NW who can easily find a smart house for £150K but hopefully it strikes a chord to southerners.

I guess my point is that in this location a family income of 70K would not be unusual but less usual in Glos. yet prices are at least 33% higher for like for like.

I'm fortunate to have bought in Glos. when property here was cheap - properly, objectively, 3x single income cheap.

If I was starting out now, Hampshire would win hands down over Glos. for its combination of higher earnings potential and lower house prices.

Typical overpriced South Hampshire new build estate. This one is a stone's throw from the airport :rolleyes:.

Eastleigh is a dump.

House prices are cheaper in Eastleigh than many of the surrounds such as the New forest or suburbs of Southampton.

I doubt many earn over 15k in Eastleigh not the 70k income you note.

Eastleigh is a dump.

House prices are cheaper in Eastleigh than many of the surrounds such as the New forest or suburbs of Southampton.

Ex-colleagues in Fareham (Zurich Ins.) on £50k+.

The bits of Eastleigh I saw were very un-dumplike, maybe appearances are deceptive or there are horrible bits elsewhere?

Mods, please move to SW it was Glos. prices I was trying to make a point about...Ta

Eastleigh is a dump.

You doubt people earn over 15k? That makes no sense. These new build homes are full of professional couples/young families. Joint incomes.

Even if one was a schoolteacher and one a policeman you could expect £60/70k salary between them. Does not seem 15k in that area would be the norm....

I'm looking in Lymington, where sadly prices are still absolutely sky high. But I've often seen properties in Eastleigh turn up that look real bargains by comparison, unfortunately as you get closer to the Solent and the New Forest prices go up and up with each oak leaf and seagull!

Take a walk through Eastleigh on market morning and you will see why house prices are relatively low.

It is retarded chav central - inbred doesn't even begin to explain how abysmal it is.

West Quay shopping arcade in Southampton is the ultimate in sophistication by comparison.

You doubt people earn over 15k? That makes no sense. These new build homes are full of professional couples/young families. Joint incomes.

Even if one was a schoolteacher and one a policeman you could expect £60/70k salary between them. Does not seem 15k in that area would be the norm....

Most of the new builds 2 years ago were sold to investors at 20-30% discounts based on 150 x housing allowance. I know many people who bought at discounts on estates such as the new one near the airport. Anyone on the salary you note will not live in Eastleigh.

Eastleigh housing is priced on housing allowance rather than working income.

Most of the new builds 2 years ago were sold to investors at 20-30% discounts based on 150 x housing allowance. I know many people who bought at discounts on estates such as the new one near the airport. Anyone on the salary you note will not live in Eastleigh.

Eastleigh housing is priced on housing allowance rather than working income.

OK, so appearance are deceptive. But when you look at places like Chapel Lane, on the edge of Eastleigh its hard to believe that they are occupied by chavs struggling to make ends meet :blink: . TBH I'd put up with Chav neighbours to live in one of those large rambling rose, thatched cottages if it was really cheap.

I worked in the Southampton area a few years ago, Eastleigh's horrible.

I ended up renting in Bishops Waltham. Transport links aren't great and still a few chavs about, but generally a much nicer place to live.

The 300k house is in Hedge End which is in a spec housing estate full of saxo driving idiots and one pub recently closed down for cocaine problems.

Its a weird place with no heart. Most people in Hedge End moved to move on but are now stuck in negative equity.

Chapel Lane near Winchester ,Allbrook is far better due to the schools in the area.

Generally you would spend about 450k to live in Chapel Lane (if this is the same chapel lane)