House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

One Less Prison Cell Available For Those Who Deserve One

http://www.bbc.co.uk...reland-12514482

Am I alone in questioning the stupidity of this sort of sentence? Instead of trying to extract cash from a man with none, why not give him community service or such like and let him pay his fine that way - and so at least do something useful (however small) for wider society.

I disagree.

He deserves it more than anyone else, probably sleeping on the streets the poor sod.

I disagree.

He deserves it more than anyone else, probably sleeping on the streets the poor sod.

That thought had crossed my mind but, knowing the 'hang 'em high' attitude of some who inhabit this board and who would say he should "get a job" etc, I felt I couldnt be seen to support people who break the law (even if that law may be sometimes harsh or stupid) - otherwise I'd be called a bleedin heart liberal!

He probably never washed the poor sod, would you want him doing anything for you. At least inside he can get a meal, a shower and participate in some sort of gordon brown type skills courses to prepare him for a future in the public sector.

Why doesn't he go back to Poland? He has no job and no home, if he is a burden on taxpayers then he should be a burden on Polish taxpayers.

Why doesn't he go back to Poland? He has no job and no home, if he is a burden on taxpayers then he should be a burden on Polish taxpayers.

Ya see!? That's the sort of attitude I was anticipating when writing that he should have been given community service or such like! ;-)

But, it is a fair point. I mean would a British vagrant in Poland in a similar situation be expected to leave/be deported and go back to the UK?

If this guy is a professional beggar he should be jailed and then immediately deported. Professional beggars are almost non-existent in the UK but they do exist elsewhere. I remember the flocks of Balkan gypsy beggars and squeegie gangs that blighted London a decade ago.

However, if this guy is genuinely homeless then I agree it's a waste of a prison cell. The money could have been spent much better on returning him to Poland and even arranging some sort of stability for him in his home country. Without friends, family or even people he shares a first language with, the chances of this guy overcoming whatever has put him on the streets are very low.

For the judge to take the very unusual step of jailing this person there must have been something that made his case distinctive. If not then the judgement was surely wrong.

However, if this guy is genuinely homeless then I agree it's a waste of a prison cell. The money could have been spent much better on returning him to Poland and even arranging some sort of stability for him in his home country. Without friends, family or even people he shares a first language with, the chances of this guy overcoming whatever has put him on the streets are very low.

Yes, repatriating him would be a win/win situation, he would no doubt receive more help in Poland than he could here and Poland is a pleasant country where he would be far more likely to be housed and helped in his local community.

He may have travelled here in good faith hoping to improve his lot but this has evidently not happened and at the age of 58 he is unlikely to act any differently on his release. Perhaps he would want to go home but I doubt anybody has asked him.