House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Realistbear

Protesters To Hit Barclays Branches Over Tax Avoidance

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Uncut-protesters-target-tele-2608471624.html?x=0

14:12, Saturday 19 February 2011
Direct action group UK Uncut has targeted high street branches of Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) bank in the latest in a series of protests over claims of tax avoidance.
Supporters of UK Uncut gathered in Soho, central London, on Saturday stating the plan was not to shut the banks down, but to "open them up", occupy them and transform them into "something people need, but will be cut".
Approximately eight banks in London were expected to be targeted, with protests planned in other cities across the UK.

Local Councils need also to be targetted. People are waking up and venting anger--a good sign.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Uncut-protesters-target-tele-2608471624.html?x=0

14:12, Saturday 19 February 2011
Direct action group UK Uncut has targeted high street branches of Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) bank in the latest in a series of protests over claims of tax avoidance.
Supporters of UK Uncut gathered in Soho, central London, on Saturday stating the plan was not to shut the banks down, but to "open them up", occupy them and transform them into "something people need, but will be cut".
Approximately eight banks in London were expected to be targeted, with protests planned in other cities across the UK.

Local Councils need also to be targetted. People are waking up and venting anger--a good sign.

Nope, sorry but there people are to55ers, quite frankly. Why on earth do they feel the need to "target" a company who is clearly not breaking the law in any way? Barclays have paid sod all tax because that's all the law requires them to pay - you can't expect a company to beg the government to accept more tax money that isn't due and it would be illegal for them to waste money like that and their shareholders would sue, quite rightly.

It's like me harassing you because I think your council should be charging you more council tax.

Until there are turnouts of the size of the anti Gulf war protests they can stay very, very relaxed indeed I'm afraid. Even then our betters did what they wanted anyway, and so what? They are not going to do anything at all until they know things will turn ugly. Turning ugly in a politically directed manner is something they know very well the UK population is incapable of. We only get passionate about paedophiles, football matches, benefit cheats, rich peoples weddings and interior decorating.

...oh yeah, and being condescending about those interested enough to get off their backsides to protest also makes us feel better too (QED above comment 6583)

Until there are turnouts of the size of the anti Gulf war protests they can stay very, very relaxed indeed I'm afraid. Even then our betters did what they wanted anyway, and so what? They are not going to do anything at all until they know things will turn ugly. Turning ugly in a politically directed manner is something they know very well the UK population is incapable of. We only get passionate about paedophiles, football matches, benefit cheats, rich peoples weddings and interior decorating.

Another reason to keep the Sheeple sedated with HPI. Take that away along with their homes and they will have nothing left to lose since 95% of them are living hand to mouth anyway. Only when people start feeling aggrieved by 'the system' will they take action.

So far the UK as got off very lightly thanks to a devalued currency. Take oil back up to $145 a barrel and things may get a little more interesting, but probably not enough so for an Egypt style scuffle.

...oh yeah, and being condescending about those interested enough to get off their backsides to protest also makes us feel better too (QED above comment 6583)

I'm not being condescending at all. I'm just pointing out the stupidity of taking action action against a company who isn't breaking the law and, in fact, is acting in a manner consistent with the duty in law and equity they have towards their shareholders/customers and suchlike.

What on earth is Barclays supposed to do about it? They can't just overpay their tax and they are probably going to be failing in their duty towards their shareholders if they start a campaign to increase their costs and intentionally reduce their profit margin.

The voice of apathy. Shame you were not so apathetic to say anything at all.

Err, no it isn't apathy. Doing something that is clearly stupid and which targets the wrong person is worse than apathy anyway. People are doing this, and supporting it, because it looks good and makes them feel good about themseves. What they should really be doing is lobbying the government and their MP's to change the law. Or, radically, standing themseves to change the law.

Of course, doing something the proper way is far too difficult so the next best option is try something showy, which won't work, so that they can kid themselves that they've actually tried something. That's real apathy for you.

I'm not being condescending at all. I'm just pointing out the stupidity of taking action action against a company who isn't breaking the law and, in fact, is acting in a manner consistent with the duty in law and equity they have towards their shareholders/customers and suchlike.

What on earth is Barclays supposed to do about it? They can't just overpay their tax and they are probably going to be failing in their duty towards their shareholders if they start a campaign to increase their costs and intentionally reduce their profit margin.

Fraud against the majority of shareholders for a start. Big bonuses when divis are being cut.

Boss Diamond says he took no governbemt subsidies and yet the US bailed thjem out in the billions. These people are LIAR LOAN peddlars and are part of a massive global fraud.

This is an argument against all protest. The people in Egypt should politely ask Mubbarak to change the law? The Jews of Nazi Germany should have requested a change in the law in Germany? NO.

The first thing to understand is all UK politicians are helpless to do anything. They can do nothing at all against the banks. Only the power of direct action by a well informed citizenry has the power to ensure justice. That is what these people are doing. Join them.

I think the point being made is that Barclays have done nothing wrong indeed. Protectors should be protesting at the government to get them to change the tax law, not at Barclays. All it does is make the sheeple think that Barclays acted illegally when the problem is that the government is clearly failing to get the right amount of tax out of Barclays. If Barclays is a UK company then it should pay tax on its UK profit, regardless of which tax haven those profits have been channeled through. That is what we should be protesting about. Well done Barclays for using the law and lobbying the government. If I could run my business like this I would, the problem is the government...

Fair comment and quite correct to point out that the elite have made their rules to benefit themselves and done so, quite easily unsurprisingly within the letter of their law. Government, bank, supermarket...same group and often same people. It is they who need to be taught to fear before the rest of us get any recognition at all. Long way to go on that score I'm afraid and plenty more HPI, terrorist scares, Royal Weddings, sporting events and the like still in the offing to distract the masses if needs must.

No need to deploy our wonderful uniformed state muscle even, except against a few students. What a country!

To paraphrase the role model for a generation, Bob the Builder, "Will we change it? Course we won't!"

This is an argument against all protest. The people in Egypt should politely ask Mubbarak to change the law? The Jews of Nazi Germany should have requested a change in the law in Germany? NO.

The first thing to understand is all UK politicians are helpless to do anything. They can do nothing at all against the banks. Only the power of direct action by a well informed citizenry has the power to ensure justice. That is what these people are doing. Join them.

Quite. The "informed" bit is ideal but from where we are right now ruthlessly organised, militant, unwilling to compromise, ready to take plenty of punishment and well directed by an intelligent leadership with plenty of low cunning seem to me to be the basic essentials. The majority learn as they go...

LOL

Analysts are forecasting Barclays to announce a 5p-a-share full-year dividend, which amounts to about £570m. By comparison, its 25,000 investment bankers will receive bonuses of £1.5bn-£2bn. In its annual report next month, Barclays is expected to reveal that its five best-paid executive officers received around £25m. At that rate, shareholders with £37bn of capital at risk, will receive roughly the same as 100 bankers.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Barclays-facing-investor-tele-2760535516.html?x=0

Just because something isn’t unlawful doesn’t mean that it’s advantageous or acceptable to society.

Example: A hedge fund could corner the world market for rice (not unlawful) and then watch hundreds of millions riot and starve (not advantageous or acceptable to society).

Ordinary people are p1$$£d because the bankers have had a lavish 5 course meal with expensive drinks. They've made an absolute mess of the venue and now poor old minimum wage Joe Public not only gets to clear up the mess but he’s expected to foot their bill as well.

At that rate, shareholders with £37bn of capital at risk, will receive roughly the same as 100 bankers.

And down from about £120 billion since 4 or so years ago - some would say in good part because of some of those bankers.

That's not an expression of sympathy as that's the risk (even if some would say the risk shouldn't include general banking sector fraud with LIAR loans etc) but putting it in current perspective relative to the payouts.

Just because something isn’t unlawful doesn’t mean that it’s advantageous or acceptable to society.

Example: A hedge fund could corner the world market for rice (not unlawful) and then watch hundreds of millions riot and starve (not advantageous or acceptable to society).

Ordinary people are p1$$£d because the bankers have had a lavish 5 course meal with expensive drinks. They've made an absolute mess of the venue and now poor old minimum wage Joe Public not only gets to clear up the mess but he’s expected to foot their bill as well.

What pay the bar bill as well as the laundry bill..... :o

Guest sillybear2

They really need to target HM Treasury & HMRC, that's where the rules are made. Not to mention the BoE for giving Barclays free money.

I think the point being made is that Barclays have done nothing wrong indeed. Protectors should be protesting at the government to get them to change the tax law, not at Barclays. All it does is make the sheeple think that Barclays acted illegally when the problem is that the government is clearly failing to get the right amount of tax out of Barclays. If Barclays is a UK company then it should pay tax on its UK profit, regardless of which tax haven those profits have been channeled through. That is what we should be protesting about. Well done Barclays for using the law and lobbying the government. If I could run my business like this I would, the problem is the government...

As far as I understand, Barclays paid so little tax because of enormous losses in the previous year, caused by their recklessness. They were bailed out following those losses.

I'd like to say they won't be bailed out again.

That's just rubbish. Where have I said anything about popoles right to protest?

This isn't "protest" anyway it's just yet another excuse to cause trouble and inconvenience others so that some people can kid themselves that they are actually going to make a difference. As I said, it's the equivalent of me coming round your house and having a protest because I think your council isn't setting your concil tax high enough.

Of course politicians aren't helpless to do anything. It's awfully trendy on here to make spurious claims that the "banksters" control government but they really don't. Besides, it's an inane comment because if politicans are under the thumb to such an extent that they can't do anything then why even bother protesting at all? The banks aren't going to listen to some mouthy middle-class oiks you know.

If people really don't likethe fact that Barclays has paid so little tax then camkpaign and change the law. That's far too much like hard work though and people would actually have to think about important issues involved wich is certainly more work than just ranting and acting the victim when they inevitably get no where.

Fair comment and quite correct to point out that the elite have made their rules to benefit themselves and done so, quite easily unsurprisingly within the letter of their law. Government, bank, supermarket...same group and often same people. It is they who need to be taught to fear before the rest of us get any recognition at all. Long way to go on that score I'm afraid and plenty more HPI, terrorist scares, Royal Weddings, sporting events and the like still in the offing to distract the masses if needs must.

No need to deploy our wonderful uniformed state muscle even, except against a few students. What a country!

To paraphrase the role model for a generation, Bob the Builder, "Will we change it? Course we won't!"

Perhaps not but look at it another way. Lots of people apparently think the way these people do as regards the tax the banks pay and even on here there must be hundreds of people with that mindset. This being the case it can't be too hard to get a few people to stand at a GE on this platform. There are so many people I bet you could easily find a person to stand in each constituency in the land purely on that basis. One or two isolated nutters won't get any coverage but a person in each constituency will do and millions of people will think about it a bit more than they would ordinarily have done.

Again though, never happen because it's just too much hard work. Pointless "protests" are far easier.

That's not the point I was making though. The fact remains that it is lawful and you cannot blame a company for conducting its affairs in a manner required by law. Indeed, a company has a duty to do this.

What do these protesters really expect - that Barclays is now going to intentionally overpaying it's tax or starting a group to lobby for higher taxes for banks? Never gong to happen.