House Price Crash Forum

Noticed Veg Oil For £1.09 In Lidl

HOLA441
HOLA442

That makes it 21p a litre cheaper than the diesel I bought the other day. Think I'll be having another trip soon.

Good idea and if the police come and take you to court for not paying tax, tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Its really time we stopped going along with economic serfdom. Resist on all fronts peacefully.

HOLA443

That makes it 21p a litre cheaper than the diesel I bought the other day. Think I'll be having another trip soon.

You get about 15% less miles per gallon out of vegetable oil, so the 2p or so saving per equivalent litre probably isn't worth the effort.

HOLA444
HOLA445

i have bought 5L tins of olive oil before , do they have the same bulk buy available for vegetable oil? may work out to be even cheaper.

Bizarre really since it takes more energy to make veg oil these days than you get out of it...

That's the laws of thermodynamics for you....

HOLA446

Good idea and if the police come and take you to court for not paying tax, tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Its really time we stopped going along with economic serfdom. Resist on all fronts peacefully.

You're allowed to use up to 2000L without paying tax. Though you may be asked to produce receipts etc. if customs and revenue start asking questions.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Don't need to. It's perfectly legal is you use less than a certain amount per annum, 2,500 litres, I think.

HOLA449

Don't need to. It's perfectly legal is you use less than a certain amount per annum, 2,500 litres, I think.

HOLA4410

You get about 15% less miles per gallon out of vegetable oil, so the 2p or so saving per equivalent litre probably isn't worth the effort.

Not the last time I used it I didn't. Didn't seem to vary at all. I shall do further experiments though.

HOLA4411

i have bought 5L tins of olive oil before , do they have the same bulk buy available for vegetable oil? may work out to be even cheaper.

Bizarre really since it takes more energy to make veg oil these days than you get out of it...

Fuel is about 5 times cheaper than vegetable oil. The price difference is tax, if vegetable oil was taxed like fuel it would cost 5 times more...

HOLA4412

Last summer Tescos were doing a multibuy of 3x 1l bottles for £2.50. I must have bought over a hundred in all, though it's a bit of a faff filling your car up 1l at a time, so this summer I may also invest in a jerry can. Or maybe I'll see if I can get some catering size packs from a cash and carry, could be even cheaper, and less time wasted filling up.

I also seemed to get exactly equivalent mileage to petrodiesel, and my car ran better. It got harder and harder to start though, and in early October a speedy dash along the motorway resulted in intermittent power loss, which I assume was the pump struggling to get enough oil. So I went back to pump diesel for the winter (although I have been using my petrol car for commuting, as it's far more fun).

I do hope you've an indirect injection engine though? I've heard horror stories about what straight veg oil can do to piston rings in direct injection engines.....

HOLA4413

Fuel is about 5 times cheaper than vegetable oil. The price difference is tax, if vegetable oil was taxed like fuel it would cost 5 times more...

Good point, tax is the problem; oil is cheap enough for me around 40-50p a liter including retailer costs and profit.

Veg oil used to be half the cost of diesel now it's about 20% less with the problems of possibly lower mpg and

trips to pick up 60 liters of veg oil and preheater costs in winter it's not really worth it like it used to be.

Edited by northwestsmith2

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm allowed to use whatever I deem fit.

+1

From infancy we're conditioned to think in terms of what we're allowed to do. Says who?!?!?

imo most people aren't averse to some taxes, it's what makes society function but there's a line between 'reasonable' and legalised theft.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Someone has to ask, but can you really just chuck vegetable oil in a diesel car? (I mean I know you can chuck it in, but will you break it?)

Presumably you go 50/50 or something?

Usually depends on the age of the engine design and the fuel pump. Most people going for vegetable oil or even a diesel mix which just invovles

pouring StraightVO into the tank with diesel in it will go for an older car to run cheaply.

For instance a Citroen ZX, BX,Xantia, XM Peugeot 309, 205, 206, 405 all the old smokers you are likely to pick up from the 1990 to 2000 period

will run on vegetable oil but it depends on a Lucas or Bosch fuel pump as to will it work long term. Bosch being the ones that work but they

switched them around year to year to the only way is to look at the label.

Modern cars have much greater problems over the long term, they try to get so much of the energy out of diesel it's not really worth it to use SVO

or even a mix IMHO.

You can chuck SVO into an old smoker with the right fuel pump and it will work fine but why bother on a 60mpg high recovery modern engine.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'm pretty sure the likes of Tesco and Asda etc are tracking the price of diesel with their veg oil prices. I've been using it since 2003 and was buying it at £0.42 a litre only a few years ago.

It's hardly worth doing any more.

Mind you Tesco had a special on Crisp and Dry a bit ago so i stocked up on that. Crazy that the branded stuff was cheaper than the own brand!!!!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

+1

From infancy we're conditioned to think in terms of what we're allowed to do. Says who?!?!?

imo most people aren't averse to some taxes, it's what makes society function but there's a line between 'reasonable' and legalised theft.

Nice one SM..

I think that most peeps are reasonably happy with playing the game as long as there is a fair return.

Times are a changing tho', and I wonder how long peeps in the UK are going to continue putting up with 'legalised theft'.

HOLA4423

Straight vegetable oil can damage the engine - too viscous.

Biodiesel is better - has been esterified with methanol to reduce gelling.

Don't waste money buying veg oil. Some biodiesel companies sell their fuel for less. We buy properly processed biodiesel from reputable company for £1 per litre (25l at a go). If you buy 250l or more, it is even cheaper! This is in the SE so may be even cheaper elsewhere!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I have been quoted 44p per liter of Red Diesel delivered in as heating oil. I would have to buy a minimum of 5000L. Can this fuel be used in a Diesel Meriva (2011 model).

It will have a higher sulphur content than DERV, which is not a good thing in a modern common rail engine. But more importantly, it is illegal to use it in a road vehicle. That's why it's dyed red, so the authorities can easily spot it.