House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
headmelter

The Big Society........

http://www.talktalk....togetpound20000

Coming from the North of Ireland I know a bit about community workers as we have a few of them. Before they did their 'community' trainiing quite a few of them had expertise in other fields.:ph34r:

Probably won't be the same in England it's full of bankers who can thieve legally.

http://www.talktalk....togetpound20000

Coming from the North of Ireland I know a bit about community workers as we have a few of them. Before they did their 'community' trainiing quite a few of them had expertise in other fields.:ph34r:

Probably won't be the same in England it's full of bankers who can thieve legally.

Oh gawd, I thought 'The Big Society' was just standard politicians headline grabbing B/S. I didn't think he was actually going to chuck taxpayers money at it :o.

Nothing wrong with the idea of a big society but unfortunately it won't work everwhete. Big cities are nothing like small villages and for this reason it will always mean a different approach .

It might be ok for a small community to take charge of a community hall or library but this becomes very complicated when your dealing with larger towns and cities.

It's a very provincial idea but old England doesn't exist.

Nothing wrong with the idea of a big society but unfortunately it won't work everwhete. Big cities are nothing like small villages and for this reason it will always mean a different approach .

It might be ok for a small community to take charge of a community hall or library but this becomes very complicated when your dealing with larger towns and cities.

It's a very provincial idea but old England doesn't exist.

it worked in urban areas with local workers' co-operative and guilds, why can't these be refounded in the place of centralised government and national unions, one for labour to achieve

it worked in urban areas with local workers' co-operative and guilds, why can't these be refounded in the place of centralised government and national unions, one for labour to achieve

"Local workers". That's the thing. The workforce and the population is now so footloose, communities don't exist any more in most places.

Do you live in a street? Of how many houses / flats? What proportion of your neighbours do you know? How often do people move in and out?

Guilds were organisations of craftsmen. They lost power once industrialisation took root.

As to co-operatives, there is a centre in Wales which tries to promote them http://www.walescooperative.org/about-the-centre I don't think there's such a thing in England, though the Co-operative College and the Co-op (who run the frankly rather shambolic shops) do try to promote the idea.

"Local workers". That's the thing. The workforce and the population is now so footloose, communities don't exist any more in most places.

Do you live in a street? Of how many houses / flats? What proportion of your neighbours do you know? How often do people move in and out?

Guilds were organisations of craftsmen. They lost power once industrialisation took root.

As to co-operatives, there is a centre in Wales which tries to promote them http://www.walescoop...bout-the-centre I don't think there's such a thing in England, though the Co-operative College and the Co-op (who run the frankly rather shambolic shops) do try to promote the idea.

ahhh - I see, implying you need a ready made infratucture in the towns and cities you live in, hence public jobs, good point

The Big Society. The country is going over a cliff and Cameron wants us all to stick

our arms out the window and flap them.

Edited by Olebrum